Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX 450h starting problems

I have searched the forum for any similar issue before I have started this thread.

I purchased a 60 reg 450h SE-i from the main dealer in June.  It had 52k on the clock.  My wife and I absolutely love the car, having traded up from a very good RX 300.

It was in for an MOT last month (free of charge) at the dealership.  An advisory was issued re faint spray/"ghosting" of oil on the top of one of the rear shocks..  My main query relates to the vehicle starting.  In the last 4/5 weeks, when we press the break pedal and get the green light on the power button.  Pressing it just lights the dash with all the pre-start warning lights and the car then does not say "ready" and isn't starting.  If we press the brake again, power button light goes green.  A further press gives nothing more.  

We have started having to press power to turn off, then repeat.  It is taking several attempts before we get "ready" and the engine starts?

I will be taking back to the dealer, but have no time to do this in the next couple of weeks.  I have swapped the keys over, in case the Battery in the first key was running low causing a low signal to the car.  The 2nd/ spare key makes no difference to this issue?

Is this likely to be an issue with the 12v Battery?  From what I have read, this could be expensive and is not covered under the warranty? I can assure you that it is not a lack of pressure on the brake pedal when trying to start.

Is there anything I could be missing.  It is far to frequent, to be "operator error".  I have tried allowing a longer press of the power button as I attempt to start.  Keeping my foot on the break longer.  Nothing makes any difference.

Hi Mike

We had a similar problem earlier this year. (See my previous post started 15th March - RX450h didn't start).

The first two times it happened Lexus MK checked the car and could find nothing untoward.

After the third time it happened they agreed it was probably the 12V Battery not holding its charge and replaced it under warranty.

Since then, touchwood, it has been OK.

Good luck

JBP

• Like 1

Thanks for that.  I cant believe my searches didn't find your thread...!

The wife has just pointed out we go the car mid July, and the first time it happened was on a day trip in August..  At that point I thought it was my fault.  Now I know it wasn't.  Most of her usage of the vehicle is short journeys.

cheers

I'll get onto them next week about the Battery..  

They suggested to keep an eye on the shock, and that it could be sorted under warranty.  I was told to go back in a month or two and get it checked.  My main concern with it, is that I don't want it going so far that I end up with oil leaking on my stone driveway!!!  I'll press them for a repair as I am going to purchase the additional 2 yrs before christmas.  I will mention it at the same time I end up going in about the starting issue.

5 hours ago, ronnaybarkay said:

I'll get onto them next week about the battery..  

They suggested to keep an eye on the shock, and that it could be sorted under warranty.  I was told to go back in a month or two and get it checked.  My main concern with it, is that I don't want it going so far that I end up with oil leaking on my stone driveway!!!  I'll press them for a repair as I am going to purchase the additional 2 yrs before christmas.  I will mention it at the same time I end up going in about the starting issue.

The reason I mentioned it is that there's another thread where Lexus Swindon turned down a warranty claim for a similar issue. although it may have been an extended warranty. 

I would get them to sort it sooner rather than later. 

On ‎15‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 11:20 AM, ronnaybarkay said:

Is this likely to be an issue with the 12v battery?  From what I have read, this could be expensive and is not covered under the warranty? 

I agree that is sounds like the Battery. Shouldn't be expensive though... just the cost of a replacement Battery. I would get it changed soon though, as the colder weather will shorten whatever life it has left in it!

I've been in to the dealer this morning.  I ended up with a 2hr wait, after which I was handed my keys and told a new Battery had been fitted.  I'm confident that should be the end of the issue.  

I also asked them to check the rear shock absorber whilst I was there and was advised there no cause for concern at the moment, and no oil leaking.

Heres to many miles of trouble free motoring :wink3:

Leak from the shocks is super common on the LX's. Just look at MOT history of a random one on auto trader and it'll most likely have an advisory for light misting on shock,. I would press them for a replacement though. If it's leaking it's going to run out of fluid at some point and need replacing. 

• 5 years later...

Hi Mike,

I am compelled to respond to your pain. My car is a 2020 F Sport 450h with less than 3k miles. When new I left it for 3 weeks while traveling overseas and on return it would not start. At the time I thought I left a light on that drained the Battery. I jump-started and drove it for an hour and since then drove at least every day for half hour and did not have issues. I left it for a week and it could not start, jumpstarted and drove it for 30 miles to a mall. It could not start when I returned to the car. Jumpstarted and headed home and called Lexus for service. When I went in today, they told me that it must be driven at least twice a week or start the engine twice a week and run it for 30 minutes to keep the hybrid Battery which starts the car charged. Essentially saying, you can't leave the car at the airport and travel for 3 days because you won't start on return. Is this how hybrid cars work? Is this how Lexus expected consumers to operate it? If so why did Lexus not disclose at the time customers purchased these type of cars? I am looking for anyone else who has similar issues because it is exhausting. On the brighter side, once the car starts it is a great car.

John

• Like 1

Hi John,

In my experience, once a Battery has been drained sufficiently that it won't start the car then, unless it gets fully charged, it's prone to draining quickly again.  By fully charged, I mean a day or two on a charger, as opposed to 30 minute runs. 30 minutes of driving or running the engine may keep a good Battery sufficiently topped up, but will struggle to fully recharge one that's been run down.

It's not so much how hybrid cars work, my previous non hybrid car would suffer the same if left for multiple extended periods and not fully recharged. It's more that hybrid cars are often fitted with smaller batteries to save money/space/weight, as they're not used for direct engine cranking. I solved the previous car problem with an obd2 port connected solar charger left on the dash, which kept it sufficiently topped up. Not sure if that would work in your circumstances for periods of extended lack of use.

• Like 1

On mine I find the 12V Battery seems to be okay for a couple of weeks, I've certainly left it undriven for that long.

The Lexus link app on a phone will show the Battery status, my experience is it drops into the red after 7-10 days without the car being driven. If I was leaving the car for three weeks, then I'd either disconnect the Battery OR go with a solar charger via the OBD port.

When I do the weekly shop I tend to go the long way round and run the car for a good 30 minutes or so to keep things charged and that seems to be enough.

My experience with the non-AGM Battery on my LS400 was that once the Battery had gone flat a couple of times it needed replacement to hold a charge for more than a week, so it's not just Hybrids.

Official advice from lexus is once a week according to https://www.lexus.co.uk/discover-lexus/lexus-news/lexus-hybrid-parked/ but I suspect that's them covering themselves for older batteries, lexus also suggest a solar trickle charger.