Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Keyless ignition barrel stuck?

Hi I have recently purchased a 2001 LS430 but noticed from the start hat the keyless ignition barrel was notchy when turning it on i.e. not a smooth action like there may be some wear in there or it needs lubricating. It jammed on me once and wouldn't turn at all despite a fair bit of twiddling but when I came back to the car ten minutes later it went luckily. It has now happened today and the barrel won't budge at all, it will push in and the steering wheel moves into position, but it will not turn clockwise to turn the ignition on / start the car. I've removed the small black plastic collar and squirted in a load of Silicone lubricant, but to no avail...If anyone that has experienced the same problem, that appears to be mechanical, your help / advice would be much appreciated as I'm now on the scooter because the most reliable car of it's generation won't even turn on....! 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi NIgel

I assume you have changed the Battery in your key and that you can lock and unlock the car using the key  Charge up the cars Battery mate - the problem you described happened to me a couple of times in the last 3 months.  I had to get green flag out to a hotel one morning - very annoying :).

I carry a jumper pack (truck version) and should probably buy a new bat soon.

You cannot leave these big beast for very long and if your Battery is old you may have probs.

Another tip is hold the steering wheel when you try and start it - you will get better RF coupling for the immobiliser if you do.  Also take your mobile phone out of you pocket to reduce interference.

Good luck

Bren

some good advise there from brendan

I just wanted to add the under normal operation the ignition knob is smooth to operate with minimal resistance - if the actual problem exists within the mechaincs of the ignition switch then graphite powder has been mentioned on here

hope you get it sorted soon

Hi guys, thanks for the help and advice but I have to admit I've been a bit of a plonker Rodney! It was the bloody steering wheel lock! - I must have knocked the steering wheel when getting out and accidentally locked the steering. Of course that put some resistance on the ignition barrel when I tried to turn the knob. I also did a search on You tube, went back to the car afterwards, moved the steering wheel slightly and the ignition knob turned like new, what a ******! 

16 minutes ago, Squasher said:

Hi guys, thanks for the help and advice but I have to admit I've been a bit of a plonker Rodney! It was the bloody steering wheel lock! - I must have knocked the steering wheel when getting out and accidentally locked the steering. Of course that put some resistance on the ignition barrel when I tried to turn the knob. I also did a search on You tube, went back to the car afterwards, moved the steering wheel slightly and the ignition knob turned like new, what a ******! 

You silly boy! Better to be a plonker than have to cough up for repairs though eh?