Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

FM Interference when rear demister is on

Hi Guys,

Since having my windows tinted im getting interference on FM stations when i turn the rear demister on. Do you guys who had your window tinted get the same? Im seriously considering having all the tints removed due to this. Only thing im worried about is damage to the demist lines if i have this done. Any thoughts? 

Hi

Mine is the same when i asked main dealer, he said it is probably the tinter has cut through the rear screen elements at the top of the rear screen, which also act as the ariel for the radio? Check to see if you can see any element have been cut through.

Only recently found this out,  but explains why tinters were whispering  to each other at the time when i had it done, i thought then that something fishy was going but could not see anything amiss at the time, but when enquiring about the fm problem at the dealers i was told about the top elements being a booster on FM , never bothered to look to be honest, but will get round to it one day when i remember.

Just got a text from my tinter and he said this is very common as the tint film contains metal which connect to the window elements. it's a common problem he said with lexus and Jags

16 hours ago, markovanb said:

Hi

Mine is the same when i asked main dealer, he said it is probably the tinter has cut through the rear screen elements at the top of the rear screen, which also act as the ariel for the radio? Check to see if you can see any element have been cut through.

Surely if any part of the element had been cut through then the demister wouldn't work? Similarly, if the tints were metalised and connect to the window elements then they would cause a short circuit and blow the fuse? I can't see it being either of those two explanations to be honest.

You seem to be saying that your tints are aftermarket and you've had it done yourselves but my 2005 RX300 has factory tinted windows and I also get bad interference when I switch the rear demister on, even though the RX300s have an external aerial and don't use the demister elements for radio reception. So far, all I've come up with is to play a CD until the window clears but I'd love to know how to cure the problem.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Arqum said:

Anyone else who has had tints done on their ISF have this issue. I'm seeing my tinter tomorrow to get the tints removed as it's really annoying me tbh.

Like I said above, my tints are factory OEM (in other words it's tinted glass, not clear glass with a film tint applied) and the RX300 uses an external radio aerial, not the heater elements, and I still have the problem so I'd be very surprised if having your tints removed has any effect, but I'll be very interested to hear what happens. Hope it works for you if you go ahead and have them removed.

Just had the rear film removed. no damage to the demist lines what so ever and the FM radio is working fine. So it's deffo window tint that contains metal causing the issue.

13 minutes ago, Arqum said:

Just had the rear film removed. no damage to the demist lines what so ever and the FM radio is working fine. So it's deffo window tint that contains metal causing the issue.

Fair enough - so it must be something else that's causing the problem on the RX300 then. Glad it worked for you mate.