Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Leaky boot

I have an annoying leak, or probably should call it overspill in the boot of my IS. This happens due to the dished boot lid jettisoning the water onto the back screen, then joining forces with the water there and overflowing into the drivers side hinge. While this is not gallons, it still would cause damage to items affected by moisture. Material/electrical items etc. My dealership said their staff have noticed it to, but they can't do anything about it. I'm not to happy with that from car costing this amount, and am considering returning it, and going to another manufacturer. I'll get some photos up.

IMG_0179.JPG

IMG_0180.JPG

IMG_0181.JPG

Hmm never heard of this before. Doesnt happen on wife's IS and that gets soaked sometimes especially because it has wax on which hops the water in droplets on the bootlid

My previous IS300H didnt do that.  I cannot see how it would run down the hinge.  There are some channels that allow water to run behind the light clusters that can get blocked with leaves. 

Could you really return a car for a bit of water running into the boot?   My wifes Mazda drips water onto your head when the tailgate is lifted.

Put some more pictures up. 

Ed:rolleyes:

I'd be changing it for another make of car. I don't see why I should put up with a car that couldn't carry anything in the boot without getting wet. Try convince your Missus that carring her clothes in the boot runs a risk of getting water damaged :whistling1:

I would never consider keepping a car where the basic functionality fails, without it being able to be rectified. This is not the 70's it shouldn't be so.

David

22 minutes ago, Deadloak said:

I'd be changing it for another make of car. I don't see why I should put up with a car that couldn't carry anything in the boot without getting wet. Try convince your Missus that carring her clothes in the boot runs a risk of getting water damaged :whistling1:

I would never consider keepping a car where the basic functionality fails, without it being able to be rectified. This is not the 70's it shouldn't be so.

David

I think you're being a bit quick here. Every car brand has problems, try checking out engine problems on the new Golf R

Firstly, that should NOT happen and it's a manufacturing defect or something is blocking the drip lines.

Take it to the dealer, tell them it's not normal, tell them you're on the LOC and other owners don't have it and also tell them you want to see these cars that they have that have the same issue because I can bet they dont

4 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Every car brand has problems, try checking out engine problems on the new Golf R

Turbos blowing which scraps out the engine. I bet Golf R owners are playing with Launch Mode which put a hell of a strain on the mechanics. 20 years ago I would have loved a Golf R or its equivalent not now though prefer the GS. That`s what age does.:yes:

Its a drip into the boot which is probably caused by blocked drain channels. The light clusters are easy to remove I did mine as it was easier than taking it to the dealership.

14 hours ago, capese21 said:

Turbos blowing which scraps out the engine. I bet Golf R owners are playing with Launch Mode which put a hell of a strain on the mechanics. 20 years ago I would have loved a Golf R or its equivalent not now though prefer the GS. That`s what age does.:yes:

Its a drip into the boot which is probably caused by blocked drain channels. The light clusters are easy to remove I did mine as it was easier than taking it to the dealership.

Some of them are having injector issues etc even before the car is run in!

But getting back on topic, its most likely a blocked drain as you mentioned. Ive never seen it happen on an IS before including loaners

I think the dealership are taking the ***** in all honestly if they're saying they've "noticed it too but can't do anything about it"

On 31/10/2016 at 5:05 PM, 200h said:

dont forget the hybrid battery is located in the spare wheel well so you dont want water building up in there

Enough reason to make the dealership take this seriously. As for returning it, how long has the OP owned it?

Is it within the 30 day period to exchange then exchange it but best of luck on simply returning it and expecting your money back. I would also ask to look at the full history, Lexus in my experience can be quite cavalier with the truth. Hopefully its a blocked drainage channel or a badly fitted boot and not had a rear end shunt.

1 hour ago, doog442 said:

Enough reason to make the dealership take this seriously. As for returning it, how long has the OP owned it?

Is it within the 30 day period to exchange then exchange it but best of luck on simply returning it and expecting your money back. I would also ask to look at the full history, Lexus in my experience can be quite cavalier with the truth. Hopefully its a blocked drainage channel or a badly fitted boot and not had a rear end shunt.

I'm pretty positive that OP bought the car new and it was a while back, defo more than 30 days more likely a year or so.

It's obviously not a problem that was there before when the car was new which means it's developed sometimes afterwards so would probably be a blockage rather than a defect

The OP reports it's overspill.

When he opens the boot the water comes off the lid and drips into the boot, my IS does it from the front, I have to partially open the boot, let the water drain and then open the boot fully.

From what I've read the OP doesn't have a leak.

I would imagine if he opened the boot slowly the lid would drain and not cascade the water into the boot.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Verbout said:

When he opens the boot the water comes off the lid and drips into the boot, my IS does it from the front, I have to partially open the boot, let the water drain and then open the boot fully.

I would imagine if he opened the boot slowly the lid would drain and not cascade the water into the boot.

It's been raining today and the bootlid was covered in beads of water. I pulled it into the garage and opened the bootlid fully and as swiftly as is possible.

No water trickling down the hinges like in the OPs photo and no water in the boot whatsoever. It's also an early 63 plate as well so should be on here if it was a problem from factory

2 hours ago, Verbout said:

I do exactly like you, My octavia was like a river off the spoiler. Seems to be the shape of modern boots im afraid.

The light clusters have drain channels behind them. These can get blocked with leaves etc.  Remove two screws & pull light away from body. clean debris & refit.  Easier than taking your car back for a refund.    When I did mine the water went from slowly draining to instantly vanishing.   It is overspill probably caused by blocked drains causing water to backup.:wallbash:

ED:yes:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ordered my new Volvo  today. Lexus offered a competitive price for the IS, and being the same Franchise group probably helped. I hope you guys enjoy your cars as you should do. Thanks for the help in the past.

See you for now

David.

2 minutes ago, Deadloak said:

Ordered my new Volvo  today. Lexus offered a competitive price for the IS, and being the same Franchise group probably helped. I hope you guys enjoy your cars as you should do. Thanks for the help in the past.

See you for now

Did you clean out your drain channels & did it rectify the problem?   Which Volvo did you go for?

Good Luck with it. Nice Cars.

Ed:xmas:

That looks extremely annoying, and it is not readily understandable why your dealer could not have done anything about it.  Did they

try before saying so?   Might something as simple as a strategically placed squirt of silicone not have done the trick?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links