Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

MoT Advisories on suspension

IanA2

First and last time for this place. Complicated (domestic/boring) reasons why I used it this time, but I'll be going to my usual place as normal in future. 

.....  I've mentioned before on here that my indie takes my cars for their MOTs to his local MOT Testing station so that he can be there to understand any issues on fail or advisories 1 2 1 directly with the Tester and then do whatever on the service that follows and take the car back the same day or next ( hopefully ) for the free Pass Retest.

I pay the full MOT Test price from which discounted price my indie I suppose takes his profit for his extra time spent for me.

My now old cars rarely need work outside regular servicing and rarely is there a MOT failure for him to work with.........  he keeps " on the ball " with any and all likely issues for me; even an annual Battery cell test to advise if I'm likely to need a new one " coming up ".

There's no way he would put up with a  " let's conjur up some work "  ethic that many garage/MOT stations seem to display.

Malc 1

Interestingly, despite things like this around advisories, whenever a car comes up for sale on here (and other brand car forums I frequent), some bright spark will always start quoting all the advisories that are being listed against it, and therefore why it's not worth what someone is asking for. Absolutely pointless, but it happens almost without fail.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

10 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

.....  I've mentioned before on here that my indie takes my cars for their MOTs to his local MOT Testing station so that he can be there to understand any issues on fail or advisories 1 2 1 directly with the Tester and then do whatever on the service that follows and take the car back the same day or next ( hopefully ) for the free Pass Retest.

I pay the full MOT Test price from which discounted price my indie I suppose takes his profit for his extra time spent for me.

My now old cars rarely need work outside regular servicing and rarely is there a MOT failure for him to work with.........  he keeps " on the ball " with any and all likely issues for me; even an annual battery cell test to advise if I'm likely to need a new one " coming up ".

There's no way he would put up with a  " let's conjur up some work "  ethic that many garage/MOT stations seem to display.

Malc 1

For the reason you've given above I don't think I've ever had an MoT fail. I'm lucky now to have a garage that's also a MoT station.

1 hour ago, TigerFish said:

Interestingly, despite things like this around advisories, whenever a car comes up for sale on here (and other brand car forums I frequent), some bright spark will always start quoting all the advisories that are being listed against it, and therefore why it's not worth what someone is asking for. Absolutely pointless, but it happens almost without fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Lexus OC

I have sometimes been that "bright spark", you so disparagingly refer to.

I fail to see what is pointless, about highlighting an obviously poor history on a vehicle a member is considering buying.

Some advisories are a bit mickey mouse, plenty, like bald tyres, defective braking systems, for example, are indicative of neglect, surely something of interest to anybody considering a purchase?

Sent from my iPhone using Lexus OC

I have sometimes been that "bright spark", you so disparingly refer to.

I fail to see what is pointless, about highlighting an obviously poor history on a vehicle a member is considering buying.

Some advisories are a bit mickey mouse, plenty, like bald tyres, defective braking systems, for example, are indicative of neglect, surely something of interest to anybody considering a purchase?

Did you read the rest of this thread, does it not answer your question?

However, if you think it is of benefit, then feel free to carry on. For me personally, I see no value add in such random and subjective observations by MOT testers. It doesn't indicate poor history in any way, as is evident from this thread.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

I looked up the MOT history for my IS200

I sold it a couple of years back after 7 years ownership. There were advisories that never appeared on any MOT certs but were listed online. I'm not sure the system is accurate in anyway whatsover..