Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Intermittent cruise control

My 2006 rx400h has intermittent cruise control. sometimes it switches on ok. if it switches on it works fine. But most times pressing the button does not switch on the cruise control. I have checked the resistances on the switch and they seem fine. any thoughts as to where the problem may be?

Hi Adrian

If I remember correctly from when we had an RX400h cruise control does not work if the gear leaver is in the "B" position.  Could that be your intermittent problem?  It used to catch us out on the odd occasion!

JBP

• Like 1

Thanks but it has nothing to do with the gear being in b or the speed. went to Birmingham today and the cruise worked fine on the way there but would not switch on on the way back. I am thinking it must be the switch even though I tested the resistances and all were ok. Think I need to do more tests.

Had a similar problem on my previous Volvo S60.   Research on the owners forum LED to the sensor attached to the upper arm of the foot brake which had come out of its housing.   Clipped back in and hey presto, no further issues.   May not be the cause but for the sake of 10 seconds on your knees with a torch, probably worth trying !   Hope you get it sorted.   Ian.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

• 1 year later...
On 12/10/2016 at 9:17 PM, Arharh said:

Finally got round to checking this out again. turns out the switch is fine but the clock spring was the problem. fitted a new one today and all is working properly  now.

I have Cruise control problems. Well, 1 problem... No cruise control. Just had the control stalk replaced (very cheap).

I've read someone else referring to the "clock spring".. what is it? When I looked it up the site said the clock spring was the name for the airbag.

4 minutes ago, Farnham Dave said:

I have Cruise control problems. Well, 1 problem... No cruise control. Just had the control stalk replaced (very cheap).

I've read someone else referring to the "clock spring".. what is it? When I looked it up the site said the clock spring was the name for the airbag.

Right, found a better website... It's a wiring harness. 

2 hours ago, Arharh said:

I really do suspect that part. Easy test for me to do... Try out the other steering wheel mounted controls... If they don't work, I'm guessing it's probably the clock spring... Of course, if they do, it doesn't rule them out. I'm guessing it's the interface for all steering wheel mounted switches?

I've only had the car a short while, so I'm still getting to grips with it.

• Like 1

Yep the clock spring interfaces everything on the steering wheel. Mine was an intermittent problem. I thought it was the switch but it was easy to test and worked fine, after all it is Just a switch. Apparently the clock springs are the most likely part to fail. Which is probably why what his full of them.

31 minutes ago, Arharh said:

Yep the clock spring interfaces everything on the steering wheel. Mine was an intermittent problem. I thought it was the switch but it was easy to test and worked fine, after all it is Just a switch. Apparently the clock springs are the most likely part to fail. Which is probably why what his full of them.

I've just had a try of the buttons on the steering wheel, and they seem fine, but I know that that doesn't rule out the clock spring. I might get a new one... Keep my mechanic in work of nothing else

Everything worked on my steering wheel except  the cruise would not always switch on. Or if it switched on you might not be able to set the speed. Dead easy to swap. 30 mins at most.

5 hours ago, BROUWERS said:

I have the same issue since I swapped my clock spring for a cheap Ebay one. It will show CRUISE on the dash, but will not hold the speed.

Do you mean you can't set a speed, or once it's set, it then loses the set speed?

5 hours ago, Farnham Dave said:

Do you mean you can't set a speed, or once it's set, it then loses the set speed?

Can't set a speed. I push the stalk into the SET direction, but it won't hold the speed.

Happens maybe twice per month.

• 2 weeks later...