Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS300H Noise from Rear of Car

Recently purchased a used (2013) IS300H. Really enjoying my first Lexus and the IS300H is a pleasure to drive.

The car is generally very quiet. However, I am a little concerned about a 'howling' sort of sound coming from the rear of the car. This is most noticeable when travelling above approx 40/50mph. The sound doesn't sound like a tyre noise, diff whine or failed wheel bearing noise.

As I haven't driven another IS300H, I'm not sure if this noise is 'standard'.

Any advice?

No "howling" noise from the rear - id be worried in any car if that happened.

The only noise I can think of is the whining of the hybrid system, it does this on the motorway but only if you let go of the accelerator and still, its not exactly a howl

Maybe it's the synthetic engine noise coming through the speakers (ASC). Try turning it down and see if you hear the same thing still.

Don't bother with a software update, no way that could be related. 

4 minutes ago, Martin F said:

Maybe it's the synthetic engine noise coming through the speakers (ASC). Try turning it down and see if you hear the same thing still.

Don't bother with a software update, no way that could be related. 

It fixed the lack of nav instructions on the F-Sport gauges on my car though so could well fix this. Still its probably better to do it anyway as the latest system has been absolutely flawless so far

Many thanks for the replies.

Been on a 150 mile round trip today, mainly motorway.

Beginning to suspect it could be road noise related as it did appear to change in intensity over different road surfaces.

The sound is similar to the type of noise you get in a saloon car when you have the rear seats folded down. (However, seats not folded down).

(I believe the Battery pack has a cooling fan. Is this normally audible when driving?).

5 hours ago, rayaans said:

It fixed the lack of nav instructions on the F-Sport gauges on my car though so could well fix this. Still its probably better to do it anyway as the latest system has been absolutely flawless so far

A software update to fix a mechanical noise ?

Next people will be saying it fixes a lack of fuel ! 

1 hour ago, Martin F said:

A software update to fix a mechanical noise ?

Next people will be saying it fixes a lack of fuel ! 

Ah shoot never mind me!  I replied to the wrong thread. I thought you'd replied on the F Sport gauges one!!

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I'm also having the same "problem". Just bought my 2014 Is300h a month ago. Not before recently I've notived noise from the car mainly around 50-60 km/h and espescially when slightly accelerating or decelerating. The noice is not depending on the rpm, but the speed of the car. I got the dealer to put on brand new michelin tires before I got it, and as far as I can see they are from 2016, so I dont think that bad tire quality is the reason. Just like you, I think it sounds more like the noise you have when a bearing has failed, but its the same either in corners or driving straight ahead, so the bearings should be ok. I might have a technician to look at it for me. I'll let you know the result if they find anything wrong,  but I'm afraid thats just how the car should be. 

Sorry for my "noobie" english, I'm not english 😀

There are drivetrain issues which causes a resonance at certain engine speeds (cruising around 50 mph can do it on my vehicle). When you hear the noise, change down a gear to see if it improves.

There is a TSB for vehicles with this issue. More detail in this thread linked below. Initially there was just a software update to reduce the time the engine spend at the problematic rpm, now there is a damper that is fitted to the rear.

On 11 December 2016 at 9:30 AM, ColinBarber said:

There are drivetrain issues which causes a resonance at certain engine speeds (cruising around 50 mph can do it on my vehicle). When you hear the noise, change down a gear to see if it improves.

There is a TSB for vehicles with this issue. More detail in this thread linked below. Initially there was just a software update to reduce the time the engine spend at the problematic rpm, now there is a damper that is fitted to the rear.

You can't change down a gear on a hybrid CVT it doesn't have anything other than forward and reverse 

I had a mechanic at Toyota to check my car today and the (his) conclution is that the tires are causing the noise and that its nothing wrong with the car. I have to admit I also think that's whats causing the noise in my case, although I "hoped" it was something else. 

1 hour ago, Is300howner said:

I had a mechanic at Toyota to check my car today and the (his) conclution is that the tires are causing the noise and that its nothing wrong with the car. I have to admit I also think that's whats causing the noise in my case, although I "hoped" it was something else. 

Good that it is nothing wrong with the car. Tyres are easy to replace although it's an expensive you probably could do without. What model and size of tyres do you have, clearly they are ones to avoid?

On 12/12/2016 at 7:12 PM, ColinBarber said:

Good that it is nothing wrong with the car. Tyres are easy to replace although it's an expensive you probably could do without. What model and size of tyres do you have, clearly they are ones to avoid?

Oh its not the dreaded washing machine noise is it?! 

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 6:05 PM, Is300howner said:

You might want to check if your new tyres are unidirectional tyres and if they are, that they have been mounted the right way round.

It may be a long shot as road holding would be impacted as well as rolling noise, but since the car is new to you, you may not have noticed a change in behavior.

Worth checking.

On Monday, December 12, 2016 at 8:12 PM, ColinBarber said:

I'm running brand new Michelin x-ice on 225/40R18. 17" would have minimized the noise from the tires, but I feel that the noise is a bit unusual coming from the tires, but I guess I just have to try to ignore it 

On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 2:24 PM, DanD said:

You might want to check if your new tyres are unidirectional tyres and if they are, that they have been mounted the right way round.

It may be a long shot as road holding would be impacted as well as rolling noise, but since the car is new to you, you may not have noticed a change in behavior.

Worth checking.

In my case the tires are mounted as they should be, with the "roatation" marks pointing the right way 

On 15/12/2016 at 4:25 PM, Is300howner said:

What exactly do you mean? Have you experienced anything similar? 

Some tyres can make a noise like a washing machine - best described as a whirring noise.

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

Some tyres can make a noise like a washing machine - best described as a whirring noise.

I'm not english so therse 

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

I'm not english, so expressions like "whirring noise" doesn't give much meaning to me, but yes it may sound like a washing machine, or like if your front wheels touches the inner plastic covers of the car when they spin around and by that make a noise increasing in pitch with increasing speed. 

if it are the tyres it could be "cupping". leave the car standing and the tyres are not completely as the weight is in the part where they touch the road. some tyres are more sensitive/soft than others but it can take several miles before they are completely round again. temperature plays a role here. als age of tyre. over the year the rubber dries out and then gets hard so the tyre will not be round again. how old are your tyres are they on the car from the beginning? 

• 2 years later...

Hi,

my 300h F sport does the same, loud raving at 50mp, very loud and annoying sound. Seems like its from speakers but ASC is off. 

Is it manufactured issue? My fried with 300h CVT doesn’t have this loud noise, any advice?