Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

SC430 HID replacement instructions

kiri

My 2005 SC430 has an intermittent HID failure on the passenger side.

It's on, off, on, off... so I want to replace the bulb. and I have a Toyota replacement.

The Lexus instructions are pretty clear but after removing the bumper cover they say disconnect the bulb connectors and then pull the headlight forwards to remove it.

Since not being able to get at the connectors is the reason to remove the bumper cover in the first place it looks like they could be just as inaccessible without the bumper cover.

Can the light be pulled forwards to allow the connectors to be disconnected or are the cables too short?

Has anyone in the UK tried this?

Thanks for the hope! Unfortunately I'm now at the point where I can't get the bumper cover off and am stuck! All visible fixings have been removed and the bumper cover's able to be forced down at the back by 2cm giving a wedge-shaped gap of a cm or so next to the wheel, but that's it.

Is there something inside the wheel arch that's keeping it in place? Does the whole of the liner have to be removed?

The official Lexus instructions I've got make it look like a straightforward job. I wish!

NeilJ said on the forum in 2014 that he'd removed the bumper cover and fixed the HID so it's obviously doable...but not yet by me on my 2005 model!

Hi Kiri

From memory, you need to loosen the inner wheel arch covers to expose some of the fixings. It might only be one or two 10mm bolts for each side

I think I removed the top bolts and press fit retainers first and then worked underneath the front after removing the wheel arch covers but my motives were slightly different as the whole assembly was being replaced. It wasn't a quick task, I think it took about 45 minutes to remove it with the car jacked up on one side and then the other. Place some old carpet or cardboard underneath the front to protect the paintwork when you lower the bumper assembly. 

I'm not sure if they are any use but here are a few pics and pdf front bumper assembly.

IMG_0763.JPG

IMG_0765.JPG

IMG_0817.JPG

IMG_0830.JPG

images (1).jpg

....  it's incredulous that one has to almost dismantle the front of a car to replace a headlamp bulb !

Heaven knows why they develop such impossible situations for owners ......  does it cost about 500 squid to have a bulb replaced at a Lexus dealer do you think !

I had an intermittent twitch on my offside headlamp bulb .........  new bulb about six pounds and 3 minutes to complete the job !

Malc1  ( am I a dinosaur :whistling1: )

Hi NielE. Are you the NeilJ I mentioned? Thanks anyway for this info!

The pictures of your '06 with bumper cover off show several protrusions with holes in that might match the 10mm bolts you mentioned. I can only remove the bolt nearest the point where the bumper cover clips to the panel above. As I can't drop/swivel the cover down much at that point even with that bolt out I can't reach the nut that screws onto the lamp body, so anything else in that area is invisible to me! I can feel the lamp nut but can't get at it. 

In despair I have phoned around Lexus dealers and, if the replacement can be done by an engineer with little hands, it would cost about £30. If the bumper cover needs dropping they would charge an hour's labour. That would mean £200... or that's what they said! I think I have to find out soon.

I remember the 3-minute bulb changes but owners who have always had streamlined HID lamps may never have experienced that pleasure. So much for the benefits of progress and style.

Hi Kiri, no I'm not Neil J

If you loosen the inner wheel arch covers I think you will see how to remove the side screws but before you go any further I have an update for you.

It is just about possible to change the bulb without removing the bumper. After a little research on line to see which way things twist to come off etc, I swapped the offside bulb this afternoon but it was very tricky. The nearside bulb looks similar but access maybe even more difficult around the fuse box.

Summary of the steps taken.

Disconnect the negative Battery lead. (highly recommended with HIDs as there is a risk to shock or burn)

Remove the air box and loosen the covers and cables from around the side of the lamp assembly. There are various clips that secure these and they do break easily but can be replaced. I keep a small stock of various shapes and sizes.

Removed the HID bulb dust cover, it's barely a quarter turn anti-clockwise.

Working blind, I felt for the connection to the bulb. Twist the silver connector anti-clockwise, it doesn't move very far before it's free and can be removed. (At this point it's worth taking a picture of the bulb sat correctly in the holder as a reference to see how the springs attach. It's difficult to get your head in to a good position to see it but a small phone camera should provide the view you need)

This exposes the bulb and then it's a matter of carefully unhooking the spring clips from their tabs to free the bulb. It's very awkward but if you take care to get the spring clip fully clear of the bulb you can then pull the bulb out.

To fit the new bulb, make sure the spring clip is clear of the opening to get the bulb in. Check the orientation of the bulb, there is a square cut out in the holder that needs to be at the top as the bulb is slowly and carefully inserted horizontally into position. 

With the bulb in place, it needs to be held in with one finger while the retaining spring clips are put back in place to secure it. Holding the bulb in place and hooking in the clips is difficult. I put the bulb in with my right hand from the side but found it easier to secure the clips from above with my left hand. I nearly always wear gloves when working under the bonnet but I took them off for this bit and was very careful not to touch the glass part of the bulb. Check carefully that it is in place and secure.

Refit the silver connector from the ballast. It needs to be connected just off vertical and twisted slightly clockwise to lock into position.

Refit the dust cover and put back the outer cover and the cables that were moved aside.

Refit the air box. Check everything is back as it should be and then reconnect the Battery earth lead.

WP84005.jpgWP84004.jpgWP84003.jpgWP84002.jpgwp84001.jpg

Hi Chris, I wonder if a Halfords technician would do it while you wait? It really requires someone with small hands, universal jointed wrists and eyes that can see around corners. I dare say with practice it could be done fairly quickly. 

Thanks for the detailed info Neil.

I could get to the plastic cover and rotate it slightly. There wasn't enough space to spread my fingers to grip both sides so I had to push or pull one side. I reckoned I'd have even more of a struggle just to put the cover back on! Also I couldn't work out the function of the unit I'd need to remove to get better access but as it seemed to be part of the cooling system I gave up! 

It had to take the MOT without risking the bulb turning off mid test, so I had Lexus change it. They partially dropped the bumper cover but they wouldn't tell me how.

I haven't needed (yet) to see to the offside HID but your pictures should make it a doable task, particularly if there's no MOT deadline!

Many thanks for the input.

Thanks for the detailed info Neil.

I could get to the plastic cover and rotate it slightly. There wasn't enough space to spread my fingers to grip both sides so I had to push or pull one side. I reckoned I'd have even more of a struggle just to put the cover back on! Also I couldn't work out the function of the unit I'd need to remove to get better access but as it seemed to be part of the cooling system I gave up! 

It had to take the MOT without risking the bulb turning off mid test, so I had Lexus change it. They partially dropped the bumper cover but they wouldn't tell me how.

I haven't needed (yet) to see to the offside HID but your pictures should make it a doable task, particularly if there's no MOT deadline!

Many thanks for the input.

Hello Kiri

Please excuse me but I Haven't looked at the forum for some weeks but have just seen your post.
I will try and add to NeilE's excellent reply with all his photos etc which are very informative.
So to explain how I removed my front bumper.
First job is remove the black wheel arch trims which are fixed by self tapping screws all the way around.
Then lift the bonnet and remove the grille and all the fixings and plastic push rivets.
Next get on the floor at the front and remove all fasteners and push rivets and then put something under to support the bumper when it drops away.
Now, and I think this is what you have missed, go back to the wheel arch and where the bumper butts up to the wing push your finger in behind the wheel arch liner
and pull the liner from behind the wheel arch lip, no need to remove any wheel arch liner fixings. Now push your finger in underneath the lip of the joint between 
the front bumper and the wing and you will feel a 10mm hex head screw which retains a wedge type clip that fixes the bumper to the wing. Undo the fixing and remove the clip
obviously on both sides.Now hand under the bumper just below the reflector and gently lift and pull at the joint below the wing to release the bumper from the body clip.
The bumper should now be free and drop onto your support however note the headlamp washers are still attached and the hoses are not too long. With the bumper off it will reveal one of the screws behind that fixes the headlamp unit. Remove these and the unit will come out for you to change the bulbs.
Don't buy the cheapest bulbs as you don't want to do this again any time soon.
Hope this is helpful oh I noticed neilE has uploaded an exploded view so blow this up to see all the components and you will see all the fixings I find these extremely helpfull.
Good luck and hope you get there without any damage.

Neilj

• 2 years later...
On 11/22/2016 at 9:45 PM, Chris Skelton said:

Your £5 should be in the post! (5? More like £50! for this!)

Hi. Just been reading these posts about headlight bulb replacement, couldn’t believe the photos with the wings off. As long as you know what the back of the lamp looks like  and how it comes apart ( plenty of pics on the web ) you don’t really have to dismantle anything, and providing your hands aren’t like shovels . It only takes about 15 mins to do both. Hope this saves someone a lot of unnecessary struggling.  I’ve done quite a few over the years. Ps I don’t think Halfords would be up to it.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I have a different car, what I find always the case over the years are normally it's the ballast that is the issue. Hid bulb that have problems are normally very dim and stays on. Obviously could be hid bulb issues in some cars. 

• Like 1

Follow this YouTube guide and the bumper will be off enough to replace the bulbs . I use this guide to replace the headlamps on my facelift model recently 👍🏻

https://youtu.be/A--4SgiPG3Q

• Like 1