Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS400 1996 brake line corrosion

blundey

Hi All,

Hoping someone can help. I need to change the brake lines (hard lines) as i have sprung a leak. I can not find anywhere online that says what type of bolts/unions i need to use at the end of the hard lines to go into the soft lines.

Anyone have a source/UK site i can source these from or the measurements?

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

The most common area for brake pipe corrosion is the rear side to side pipes.

If you could confirm which pipes you need I would be happy to give you the specifications, diagrams and Lexus part numbers.

Hi Steve,

You are correct, it is those pipes that have gone. Rear pipe that connects to the flexi. However have been told there is corrosion on most of the break lines...so will probably end up doing the lot. Whilst getting the tubing isnt an issue, its the end flare bolts i can not find the size of to source.

• 2 weeks later...

They do not stock lexus and they do not know the size :-S

I find it shocking that a car of 20 years+ has such little information on the internet about something that must be so common now :(

Thanks for your help though, guess ill have to give Lexus a call and see of what help they can be.

My local independent garage replaced my rear pipes last year for the MOT, I'll give them a call and ask what unions they used.

They only charged me £40.00 to supply and fit them.

You can buy the 2 rear pipes ready made and shaped from Lexus

Tube Rear Brake No.9 part number 47329-50031 Nearside.

Tube Rear Brake No. 8 part number 47328-50031 Offside.

Priced around £15.00 each.

The front to rear one has 2 types dependent on whether the car has traction control or not, priced around £50.00 from Lexus.

IMG_0426.PNG

• Thanks 1

.....  I think you might find that a car of such vintage is usually worked on by an indie and much trust is put into those guys by the cars owners that even on this forum the owners themselves aren't specifically knowledgeable ( apart from Steve 2006 who is brilliant on most stuff with Ls400s )

I know I  have had some brake pipes replaced from time to time on my cars over the years, my indie doesn't treat brake pipe renewals as anything other than a comparatively simple task and probably knows his way around commonality of sizes for unions, flexi pipes etc.....  probably holding a selection of whatever in his limited stock...................  brake pipe renewals is something I wouldn't hesitate to leave to a consummate expert to do ......  bit like tyre changing, it's simple for an expert but amazingly challenging for someone not so used to doing it !

Good luck whichever route you take but I certainly wouldn't consider using Lexus for anything so mundane ( or anything at all really with the criminal prices they charge, even for spares, apart from batteries :wink3: )

Malc and Malc1

Thanks guys for the reply.

I have the piping already, ill just bend it to shape and flare etc... Its just finding out the size of the unions in advance of me doing the work that has me stumped! I believe they will be M10, im just not sure on lengthy of thread :(

It should be fairly straight forward to do Id hope. Pretty sure my car has not got traction control, at least none that works :D

I left a message for my mechanic to call me back but still waiting.

From what I can tell they will either be 10 x 1.0 or 10 x 1.5 but then you need to know if they are short or long thread.

The company below sell them in multipacks and may be able to advise.

https://www.beal.org.uk/automotive/brake-pipe-nuts.html?page=all

Another solution is to call into a local friendly garage and ask if you could buy one of each then once the size is established pop back and buy the rest from them.

hmm ............  seeing the cost of the pipe coils is so small and the likely cost of paying an indie to do the whole job ..  I know which way I would go for peace of mind !

Malc

Car currently is undrivable! Id have to get it towed as it has no brakes :) So cost of transporting the car+indy garage far outweighs buying a few unions of different sizes and doing it myself :)

Thanks Steve, will buy both!

Didn't realise car was immobile, nothing really stopping you removing the broken pipes and physically checking the type of union against the website pictures.

If you have a vernier gauge you could even measure the thread.

Give them a good overnight soak with WD40, you can also buy a special ring spanner with a gap in it to slip over the pipe onto the union.

May also be worth replacing the flexible hoses with braided while you're in there.