Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Key Fob replacement batteris

I don't think the brand matters too much.  I went for these, so I have a few spares now.  Cheaper than chips !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-10-20-Genuine-Maxell-CR2032-3V-Lithium-Button-Coin-Cells-batteries-UK-Seller-/321703150205?var=&hash=item4ae700827d:m:m66lDC0aNjadmmbECgjzAoA

35 minutes ago, steveledzep said:

I don't think the brand matters too much.  I went for these, so I have a few spares now.  Cheaper than chips !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-10-20-Genuine-Maxell-CR2032-3V-Lithium-Button-Coin-Cells-batteries-UK-Seller-/321703150205?var=&hash=item4ae700827d:m:m66lDC0aNjadmmbECgjzAoA

+ 1 to that.

I do the same...usually get 5 at a time. I put a sticky label with the date on it inside the fob so I know when i last changed the Battery. Change both and put 1 fresh one in my holiday pack (just in case!). Just done my wife's new(er) mx5 fobs.....£1.49 delivered...most shops will shaft you £2.50 each or more.

Sometimes you can get erroneous 'low battery' warnings. Had one a couple of months ago and nothing since...battery is only 7 months from insertion. Maybe the key fob was in a different place to usual.

9 hours ago, steveledzep said:

I also use these and had no problems with any of them. They last ages too.

• 2 years later...

Had similar experience with my RC fob. First time it had been opened I think. In the end it was brute force and ignorance! I eventually got it apart, and my finger tips were very 'dented' afterwards.

2 hours ago, Zotto said:

You have to extract emergency key pressing the slot on the side, then use a screwdriver to open in the space under the key slot.

I’ve always used the key in this slot to open it up. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, F.A. said:

I’ve always used the key in this slot to open it up. 

as F.A. has said use the key to part the case

if you look at the end of the key there is a flat section

this is to be use to open the case.

1 hour ago, 200h said:

as F.A. has said use the key to part the case

if you look at the end of the key there is a flat section

this is to be use to open the case.

I think that is exactly what I have attempted but it doesn't fully come apart despite using considerable (in my opinion) force. Some pictures are attached below.

DSC_0213.JPG

DSC_0211.JPG

DSC_0212.JPG

Be very, very careful.....it's extremely expensive to have to replace a key fob.

On my previous two IS250s, the key fob came apart by using the captive key as a lever (as referred to above).

My RX needed a new Battery in the fob, so I tried the same and it wouldn't come apart.  I searched YouTube and it looked like I was doing it correctly.  But, it still wouldn't shift.

I then looked a little more closely  and the 2/3 of the fob with the "L" logo on it slides.....very easy when you know how !!  It reveals a plate holding the Battery in place secured by four tiny screws.

once the key element has been removed look in the void where the key used to be fitted

you will see a slot where you put the end of the key element then twist

it will only come unclipped on 1 side move the key further down the cover and then pry again

i think the Battery cover then only clips on,

its been a long time since i have replaced a key fob Battery

Moving further down the cover and prying again did it. I had to use more force than I was comfortable with, but it seems that no damage was made. 

Thanks to everyone who took their time to comment and to 200h in particular!

• 10 months later...

I was struggling with the same on my 2018 IS300H. Did the following:

- Removed the emergency key by pressing the small dot before the word "push" on the side of FOB. It's a lever, not a downward pushing lock

- Inserted the emergency key in rectangular slot which can be seen in the middle after removing the emergency key

- Twisted 90 degrees and got the case opening a bit

- removed the emergency key

- replaced the previous with my fingers and brutally pried the lid open. It's not sliding type, just pry it about where you had the emergency key twisting

- snapped open

- used small screwdriver to release the Battery guard from the sides

- replaced the Battery 1 x CR2032

- installed the Battery guard again

- LUBED THE CLIPS WITH SILICONE GREASE for the next Battery replacement episode

- changed new underwear and wiped the sweat from the face after being scared to death for hurting the FOB. It really looks like the lid is about to break to halves when you pry it open. It was the same with my previous 200H and I was thinking if Lexus wants owners to pay the service for replacing the stupid Battery.

spacer.png