Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi 

I have a 2010 GS450h and wondering what break pads should I use?. I bought the car with delphi break pads and discs and they are not good at all. 

They make a high pitch squeal when it is hot and only  during slow speed break. It bothers me and embarrassing for such a silent car. So i have decided to change the breakpads (leaving the discs)

So any one recently changed the break pads ? Please suggest a good product which is silent and safe. Do you know the brand of OEM break pads?

Many thanks

Harry 

First check the if the anti rattle shims are in place, and in good condition. Lightly grease with copper slip all surfaces of the shims, and file off a small shamfer on the leading edges of the pads. If this fails then change the pads for OEM.

John

25 minutes ago, catchhster said:

Hi John

I doubt my dealer put the shims in. How do i check though ? 

Thanks

Harry

Why do you doubt the dealer put the shims in? Or rather back in.

27 minutes ago, catchhster said:

Hi John

I doubt my dealer put the shims in. How do i check though ? 

Thanks

Harry

Hi 

They gave me the invoice for fitting breaks and discs (they used Delphi product) but i cannot see shims in there and my breaks squeals all the time. So i assumed they dint.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge do shims comes with break pads by default? Or do we need to buy them separate. If so I am ok to try the shims first.

Thanks

Harry

It's quite normal to reuse the old shims if they are in good condition. They are as there name implies flat pieces of thin steel between the pads, and the calipers. They are usually sold separately to the pads although some years ago the better manufacturers supplied them with new pads.

They do deteriorate over time through rust or metal fatigue, and yes some mechanics if you can call them that discard them. If the shims are not there then replacing them should cure the problem. If not they can always be used with the replacement pads.

John 

28 minutes ago, Britprius said:

It's quite normal to reuse the old shims if they are in good condition. They are as there name implies flat pieces of thin steel between the pads, and the calipers. They are usually sold separately to the pads although some years ago the better manufacturers supplied them with new pads.

They do deteriorate over time through rust or metal fatigue, and yes some mechanics if you can call them that discard them. If the shims are not there then replacing them should cure the problem. If not they can always be used with the replacement pads.

John 

Hi Thanks

I can confirm there are no shims on mine at all just the pads. Will try to order in a pair of shims and get it fitted!! Halfords quoted me £40 for shims and labour. Waiting for lexus to come back to me on the quote but not sure if it is worth doing this with lexus.

Do you know what shims are? And what they look like?

You're not filling me with confidence that you do. ;)

If they are present, and I can't see why a mechanic would take them off and not put them back, they maybe just need lubricating as already suggested.

13 hours ago, Verbout said:

Do you know what shims are? And what they look like?

You're not filling me with confidence that you do. ;)

If they are present, and I can't see why a mechanic would take them off and not put them back, they maybe just need lubricating as already suggested.

Hi No I dont sorry. I recently did a free break check with Halfords who said there weren't any shims installed. Not sure why my dealer did not put shims in they changed the disks and pads when i bought the car. it was an independent dealer. May be they dint put it back not sure why. 

Thanks

Hari

The Shim Kit, Anti Squeal, Front part number 04945-22152 is available from Lexus but not price is listed.

If Halfords have given you the quote you mention get them to do it for you as the kit alone will be more from Lexus.

The picture below shows the kit components, they are normally stainless steel plates.

IMG_0394.PNG

34 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

The Shim Kit, Anti Squeal, Front part number 04945-22152 is available from Lexus but not price is listed.

If Halfords have given you the quote you mention get them to do it for you as the kit alone will be more from Lexus.

The picture below shows the kit components, they are normally stainless steel plates.

IMG_0394.PNG

HI Steve,

That is really helpful let me check with lexus on the price. Will probably do it with Halfords if it is considerably cheaper.

Thanks a lot

• 8 months later...
On 11/10/2016 at 10:07 AM, catchhster said:

HI Steve,

That is really helpful let me check with lexus on the price. Will probably do it with halfords if it is considerably cheaper.

Thanks a lot

Hi Harry / @catchhster,

Have the shim kit cured the problem?

I have a Lexus IS250 and found the brakes to be a bit spongy, and they also squeak at low speeds. I know previous owner has replaced the brake discs and pads recently and I was wondering whether shims are missing as well. 

Hi no installing shims from a different brand pads dint solve it. I had to replace the rotor and pads with shims brand new and claimed warranty on the duff ones. So all sorted now no squeal any more. I am using padgid discs and pads now which is good but I doubt it is as good as oem ones. I strongly recommend oem. 

2 minutes ago, catchhster said:

Hi no installing shims from a different brand pads dint solve it. I had to replace the rotor and pads with shims brand new and claimed warranty on the duff ones. So all sorted now no squeal any more. I am using padgid discs and pads now which is good but I doubt it is as good as oem ones. I strongly recommend oem. 

Pagid are fairly good - make a lot of brakes for OEM manufacturers so I wouldnt be overly concerned

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links