Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Proud new Lexus owner

Been looking for an IS200 for a few weeks now and on Sunday night something caught my eye that I didn't want to miss out on. So on Monday I made the 2hr train journey to have a look.

In the dark as the seller was working which is a complete no-no I had to inspect the car under petrol station lighting. Everything looked OK, there was a scuff on the drivers side rear wheel arch. 

So I am the proud new owner of an IS200 Sport in Black.

It is a 2003 though it has a 52 plate, not the original one.

110,000 ish miles on the clock.

FSH up to 92K from Lexus or Toyota.

Non standard alloys.

So I have been driving it for a few days and it seems like a fantastic car. Looks stunning, nice interior (mine is the dark one), great smooth engine with lovely quiet tickover, good equipment level. It all seems very well built, no strange noises etc...

I found a few problems after buying it. There's a water leak somewhere as both of the wells on either side of the boot had water in them, the boot torsion bar mounting is broken and the CD player doesn't accept disks and I think it needs new engine mounts.

I'm having some trouble getting used to the clutch though. The bite seems very long and gradual. Is this normal?

Hi Andrew, and welcome. Glad you are enjoying your IS, niggles aside!

Hopefully your wet boot is no more that the seal on the boot lid not being seated properly, not something more testing like a badly fitted rear screen (does it have the original Lexus glass marks?). As for the CD player, "they all do that, sir"! They can be fixed (threads on here somewhere) but to be honest I've never bothered. I know some people just replace the whole unit with after-market stuff.

• Like 1

It's a very slow leak. After washing it and torrential rain the other day there is only a small amount of water in there. Will get it sorted soon but need the boot strut first. Cant find one at the scrappers so I'll have to bite the bullet and get 2 online for £54. Anybody want the other one?