Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Does anyone else's front tyres scrub on full lock (2008 GS450h)? It's more noticeable in reverse. I've also got a bump, bump, bump noise, in time with wheel rotation, despite having new disks, pads, wheels and tyres.

It's always seemed to have done it and has been serviced by Lexus, who could find no faults and it's MOTd twice too since I bought it. 

Any ideas.

I`ve not noticed this happening John .In fact I cannot remember the last time I had to apply full lock going forward or in reverse !

If Lexus cannot replicate the problem you are clearly experiencing, then it seems to me that they are not doing their job properly. I would ask them to test again  with you driving !!

Regards

John

Edited by royoftherovers
typo

I've not noticed any bump bump noises John, but I detect a reluctance to move in reverse when on full lock.  Mine is an IS, but rear wheel drive just like yours.  The lack of front drive shafts allow a greater angle of turn than the majority of cars today I think.

1 hour ago, steveledzep said:

I've not noticed any bump bump noises John, but I detect a reluctance to move in reverse when on full lock.  Mine is an IS, but rear wheel drive just like yours.  The lack of front drive shafts allow a greater angle of turn than the majority of cars today I think.

The bumping noise is all the time but until today I was the only one who could hear it but whilst driving about 10mph in a motorway jam, my wife could hear it too.

I had to endure the same problem for 4 years on my 430 - I too could not find a solution - i have reverse on full lock all the time and it happened every time - thankfully it has almost gone when I renewed my tyres last week -  I changed from Dunlop to Avon

hth

Bump noise could be CV joints couldn't it?

Tyre profile from manufacturer to manufacturer can differ at the shoulder of the tyre, some are more square and in certain circumstances can rub, but this does not sound normal.

john

it does sound like a tyre problem i had a similar experience on a omega i had a few years ago and it turned out to be a small bleb on the inside wall of my tyre, I wonder  have  you changed your tyres round front to back see if that alters it

Robert

I have also been getting this, I think.

When turning on full lock (mostly in reverse), I get a bump, bump noise that sounds like rubber bouncing.  Although strangely, it only happens when it is cold outside for me.

I have Dunlop SP Sport tyres on the front, so perhaps that is a factor?

I would like the dealer to investigate, but it doesn't happen frequently enough for me to take it to them.  It also seems to depend on the surface since I can't replicate the fault some places at all.

John.

I have a 2006 GS450H. The front tyres ware very evenly with no noise other than on very smooth painted indoor car parks where the tyres squeal at any speed from just moving to around 30 mph when maneuvering forwards or reverse. I have not been above that speed on these surfaces for obvious safety reasons. The rear tyres ware very squarely wearing the centre of the tread first even though I tend to run the rear tyres below recommended pressures.

The tyres on the rear ware at about twice the rate of the fronts on my car.

The bump noise does sound like a tyre problem or buckled wheel "unlikely". As has already been said try swapping round wheels. A system I often use in situations like this is a microphone fastened to the suspension at various different points plugged into an amp inside the car with the volume turned up. This will usually pinpoint the noise. In my Prius I used the cars own audio in through the JBL sound system sadly missing on the Lexus ML system.

John.

3 hours ago, Britprius said:

John.

I have a 2006 GS450H. The front tyres ware very evenly with no noise other than on very smooth painted indoor car parks where the tyres squeal at any speed from just moving to around 30 mph when maneuvering forwards or reverse. I have not been above that speed on these surfaces for obvious safety reasons. The rear tyres ware very squarely wearing the centre of the tread first even though I tend to run the rear tyres below recommended pressures.

The tyres on the rear ware at about twice the rate of the fronts on my car.

The bump noise does sound like a tyre problem or buckled wheel "unlikely". As has already been said try swapping round wheels. A system I often use in situations like this is a microphone fastened to the suspension at various different points plugged into an amp inside the car with the volume turned up. This will usually pinpoint the noise. In my Prius I used the cars own audio in through the JBL sound system sadly missing on the Lexus ML system.

John.

The wheels and tyres are all new, in an attempt to solve the two problems but have made no difference. I've also changed the disks and pads, still no difference. So I need to look deeper.

The only other item on the front that could cause a rotating bump noise would be a wheel bearing. On the rear again wheel bearing or drive shaft.

The microphone idea works very well. A single earphone or bud type earphone on an alligator clip serves very well as a mic.

John

15 hours ago, Britprius said:

The only other item on the front that could cause a rotating bump noise would be a wheel bearing. On the rear again wheel bearing or drive shaft.

The microphone idea works very well. A single earphone or bud type earphone on an alligator clip serves very well as a mic.

John

I've got a cheap recording device which I could cable tie to each corner in turn.

On 22/11/2016 at 9:12 AM, Shahpor said:

I have also been getting this, I think.

When turning on full lock (mostly in reverse), I get a bump, bump noise that sounds like rubber bouncing.  Although strangely, it only happens when it is cold outside for me.

I have Dunlop SP Sport tyres on the front, so perhaps that is a factor?

I would like the dealer to investigate, but it doesn't happen frequently enough for me to take it to them.  It also seems to depend on the surface since I can't replicate the fault some places at all.

Hi Shahpoor

I had Dunlop SP sport aswell ! - the noise is the tyre dragging on full lock - after changing the tyres to Avon the car is so quite and smooth its unbelieveable. My tyre size is 245/45/R18

hope this helps others

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Mark.

Well, failing anything else happening, I suppose I have to wait until the tyres wear out.  Although that could be a while since they are relatively new.  I can't even swap them back to front as they are different sizes.

Although I hit a pothole so big yesterday that I had to get out and check to make sure my wheel was still round, so you never know.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links