Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking for a Reasonably Priced Exhaust

Hi,

I read on here a while ago about someone who had a good and fairly cheap exhaust job done at their local Powerflow dealership. My 2002 GS300 needs a 'Cat Back' system as the flange joints are rusted through where the'Y' pipe joins the silencers, and the silencers themselves are starting to come apart.

I've done the pointless exercise of visiting my local Lexus dealer and they came up with their silly number as usual of £1200 plus fitting, so I found my local Powerflow people and asked for a quote for standard size, shape and noise level and got the quote of---------wait for it-------- £920. I mean, come on. This is rediculous. I only paid £1000 for the whole car 4 months ago.

Next visit was to an exhaust trade place in Norwich (Exhausts Unlimited)  that basically supplies all the the local garages in the area and they said the GS system is not available on the pattern part market.

There is a place that advertises their complete 'Cat Back' supply and fit stainless steel system on eBay for £400ish down in London but their reviews are mixed and I could do without going up and down to London if I have an issue.

So, what next? Any advice please. 

Thanks,

Bod

7 minutes ago, Boddney said:

Hi,

I read on here a while ago about someone who had a good and fairly cheap exhaust job done at their local Powerflow dealership. My 2002 GS300 needs a 'Cat Back' system as the flange joints are rusted through where the'Y' pipe joins the silencers, and the silencers themselves are starting to come apart.

I've done the pointless exercise of visiting my local Lexus dealer and they came up with their silly number as usual of £1200 plus fitting, so I found my local Powerflow people and asked for a quote for standard size, shape and noise level and got the quote of---------wait for it-------- £920. I mean, come on. This is rediculous. I only paid £1000 for the whole car 4 months ago.

Next visit was to an exhaust trade place in Norwich (Exhausts Unlimited)  that basically supplies all the the local garages in the area and they said the GS system is not available on the pattern part market.

There is a place that advertises their complete 'Cat Back' supply and fit stainless steel system on Ebay for £400ish down in London but their reviews are mixed and I could do without going up and down to London if I have an issue.

Thanks,

Bod

7 minutes ago, Boddney said:

Hi,

There is a place that advertises their complete 'Cat Back' supply and fit stainless steel system on Ebay for £400ish down in London but their reviews are mixed and I could do without going up and down to London if I have an issue.

Thanks,

Bod

Try http://www.tonybanks.co.uk/ I had a full system put on my 430 for less than 920

Thanks everyone, I contacted all of the above and they all come in at around the £400 pound mark. They are all a good few hours from me so I'll do what I should have done before I troubled my friends on here and look for a custom build place near me stressing that others can do it for around the £400

Thanks again,

Bod

• Like 1

I found two custom build exhaust places near me and had a good long chat with both owners. The first one said that the £920 price was about right for the top quality pipe that should be used for a quality job as there is over five metres of pipe with two resonators and two large silencers on a GS. They also both said that the job could be done for around the £400 mark, but the pipe would be thin and it would experience cracking where the hanger brackets are welded on and possible cracks on the welded joints, and would rust slowly as the metal has a higher steel content and all probably within two years. Whereas the thicker gauge steel would last around fifteen years and won't rust at all.

The second guy (Bim at Demand Engineering near Ipswich) gave me a quote of £790 all in which is £130 cheaper than Powerflow, but I noticed on his Facebook page that last year he did a very successful 15% discount in December which if he did it this year would bring my bill down to £671.5. That's much more doable. Also his clientele include Guy Martin and McLaren.

Bod.

• Like 1

On ‎22‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 9:56 AM, royoftherovers said:

Try these people Bob.

http://www.cybox.co.uk/

Regards

John

I would not recommend this company - had to replace my stainless system recently which I had fitted by them almost 2 years ago - too noisy / welds came apart and the system was not put together well at all. Customer service was not that good either..

7 hours ago, is200 Newbie said:

I would not recommend this company - had to replace my stainless system recently which I had fitted by them almost 2 years ago - too noisy / welds came apart and the system was not put together well at all. Customer service was not that good either..

Many thanks Newbie for the information. I have not used them myself,but noticed that another Forum member had and I was not aware of their existence locally.

What Warranty were you given by them and did they honour it?

Was your replacement s/s? exhaust provided by them or did you go elsewhere?

Regards

John

9 hours ago, is200 Newbie said:

That kind of bares out what my local guys were saying about the £400 systems.Thanks for that Newbie. It's nice to learn that you can be confident in a supplier and that he's telling you genuine information andf not just trying to rip you off.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Many thanks Newbie for the information. I have not used them myself,but noticed that another Forum member had and I was not aware of their existence locally.

What Warranty were you given by them and did they honour it?

Was your replacement s/s? exhaust provided by them or did you go elsewhere?

Regards

John

I was given a lifetime warranty on it - for the cat back - problem for me is the distance to get there, while its not that far away at all, its not open on a Sat and only open office hours so I cant get there outside of my working day. Found them not very helpful in accommodating the issues with the exhaust.

I replaced the exhaust last month with, dare I say it, a DIY one. Got the pipes and boxes and made my own - turned out spot on and has got rid of the drone that the stainless one had. Very happy with it and its got its power back and its like driving a new car.

I was very surprised at how easy it was to make one from scratch, Just need to add a diffuser which I have but not ready to fit yet. Pic is of the car with the exhaust on - minus the diffuser - still need to align the tips a bit but will do this before the diffuser goes on.

With tips on 1.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Boddney said:

That kind of bares out what my local guys were saying about the £400 systems.Thanks for that Newbie. It's nice to learn that you can be confident in a supplier and that he's telling you genuine information andf not just trying to rip you off.

He is right in stating there are two grades of ss metals used for exhausts - I have read that ss is quite hard to weld. I am no welder but have done some welding recently and I can quite believe it, its definitely an art. I would, if you are going for a stainless exhaust make sure the supplier can guarantee no drone - making it as quiet as possible (wont be as quiet as the oem one though)  After a time, it would be prudent to check the welds just for peace of mind.

I would not go for a ss one again - I will try and keep to mild steel as it absorbs the noise better than stainless but I an banking on not having an issue again due to the fact that I made my own, touch wood !

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links