Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Low mileage, service every year?

Hi all, I've owned a RX400h previously and am now thinking about buying another. It's an 08 with just 23000 miles. Should it have been serviced every year despite the very low mileage? If the previous owner hasn't had this done how wary should I be? Any advice greatly appreciated! I haven't seen the service book yet.

1 hour ago, teejaybee said:

Hi all, I've owned a RX400h previously and am now thinking about buying another. It's an 08 with just 23000 miles. Should it have been serviced every year despite the very low mileage? If the previous owner hasn't had this done how wary should I be? Any advice greatly appreciated! I haven't seen the service book yet.

Ideally yes the 400h should be serviced yearly. Low mileage cars are usually used in town and often don't get to optimum temperature which is harder on the engine. 

You could risk it but I would expect it to be atleast £1-2k cheaper than a car with FSH. 

In 2007 I bought a 1994 Ls400 with just 8,542 miles and a very patchy service, but a Lexus cambelt change at at 10 years.

A brilliant car in all respects, knackered tyres though, original and worn edges, used in Ascot and Kensington all its life.

I would have it today if it hadn't been vandalised to write-off status,:wallbash:

If it looks good and drives well and you feel good about the car, and the price is right ............................ I should go4it :smile:

Malc1 and Malc

16 hours ago, rayaans said:

Ideally yes the 400h should be serviced yearly. Low mileage cars are usually used in town and often don't get to optimum temperature which is harder on the engine. 

You could risk it but I would expect it to be atleast £1-2k cheaper than a car with FSH. 

Although, with a hybrid, low mileage about town probably wouldn't be a problem as the engine management would make sure the engine warms up quickly, even on short journeys.  Also, the engine wouldn't necessarily be running all the time anyway and rarely over revved racing away from traffic lights like "ordinary" cars!

JBP

RX should be serviced every 10,000 miles, or every year, whatever comes soonest. Very low mileage is not always a good thing as it implies that the car has been used for very short journeys or has been sitting around for long periods. The interior may look pretty good, but it may have hidden problems: weak battery (not talking about the hybrid batteries here), sludge at the bottom of oil tank, perished tyres (and other rubber components such as wipers and door seals), seized calipers, stretched parking brake cable.

I am sure our more technically minded contributors will be able to comment further.

I would not write it off though... all the above should be picked up upon a close inspection.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JBPRX400h said:

Although, with a hybrid, low mileage about town probably wouldn't be a problem as the engine management would make sure the engine warms up quickly, even on short journeys.  Also, the engine wouldn't necessarily be running all the time anyway and rarely over revved racing away from traffic lights like "ordinary" cars!

JBP

Doesn't work like that. You're assuming the Battery is always completely charged and the car starts off in EV. In reality, the engine will turn on regardless of Battery charge if the engine is cold, which it probably would be.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links