Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX400h Battery

Hi, I am talking about the piddly little Battery in the main engine compartment.

I along with many others have been the victim of a dead battery after a holiday and a very cold and long wait in an airport car park for the AA man to come to just connect another Battery and 5 seconds later the engine is running,

I have seen postings about rigging up a solar charger and have even considered carrying the Battery form my wife's Ford Fiesta in the boot!

However I have been told about a power bank charger being sold by Lidl. Its only £35 and probably has other uses but would it do the job?

This is the unit on sale  http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=39459

Comments please!

That is reassuring.

I recall the Lidl one said it was suitable for jump starting up 2 litre petrol engines. I presume that as it would only be required to 'power up' the small engine compartment battery and not jump start the actual engine (as the Lithium Battery does that - or am I wrong?) it would be up to the job?

• Like 1

when I had a car sales business we always had a similar but slightly larger " pack " that was brilliant for quick jump starting cars that were on the forecourt for sale after a cold night. However, these packs too have to be able to be recharged and retain their charge  ......  and after a fortnight unused in the boot of a car ....   not so sure they would be ok for that !

SOLAR power back-up might be the best way to go and I'm sure somewhere on the Ls400 Forum there's words of wisdom about these that's encouraging !

Malc1

Just a side note to anyone looking at replacing their Battery, I replaced mine last year and phoned my nearest Lexus dealer ,they said £76:00 so paid and got it sent to my local Toyota dealer same dealership  , when I went to pick it up the parts guy said pity you didn't order one for a MR2 roadster as they are the same and only £54:00 ! As I have a MR2 roadster as well I checked and they are the exact part !

• Like 1

@lurch good finding.

I've spent some time finding good alternative for current standard 45Ah 12v Battery... Thinking to invest little better AGM type as these hybrids don't benefit much great cranking amps but would have good use for better deep discharge performance of AGM.

It seems 2gen Prius is good keyword when hunting AGM batteries...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All, merry christmas

Have just experienced the flat Battery on my 57 Rx400h yesterday morning for the third time.

luckily after the first time last year i purchased the car jump starter from europarts which got me up and running again. 

I am trying to show the wife how to do this as she takes the car to work.  To be honest if she rushes doing this and forgets to replace the cover or something got me thinking is it just best to replace the Battery? going to call Toyota/lexus in the morning. I always use to fit bosch batteries in my old cars. will i get a choice at the dealers or if anyone can recommend the best Battery on the market? only looking at doing at dealers as i have extended warranty so stick with them for everything and they can do any of the reprogramming that may be required. just dont need the wife to get stuck in the cold weeks of the new year.

any thoughts welcome.

As I started this topic I thought I'd give an update. The issue concluded when the Battery finally packed up entirely - on Christmas Day! So had to use the wife's Fiesta for a couple of days before getting a new Battery from Àndrew Page our local factors for £49.20. It's a Yousa 45Ah. Hopefully this should last this car out.

in reply to last post if your Battery is going flat after a couple of days of none use then I suspect it's a knackered Battery so you need a new one. If it's only going flat after ten or more days then it's probably just gradual discharge and the Battery booster may be all you need. There has been lots of talk on here about alternative batteries with more power but I don't think anyone has found one that will fit in the available space.

Happy Christmas everyone!

• Like 1

Ps only thing I have found that needs reprogramming following Battery removal is the electric windows. Just go round each door and using that door's control lower window entirely and then raise it fully. Then drivers controls will work properly again

• Like 1

If you want a larger capacity Battery than the standard 45 AH I found that there is an AGM (absorbed glass mat) extreem deep cycle Battery the same physical size as the OEM Battery, but rated at 55 AH at a 10 HR rate. This puts it's capacity when rated at the same discharge rate of a 20 HR rate of other manufacturers at over 60 AH This Battery is available from The Battery bay at Cannock, and other Battery outlets that sell mobility batteries for mobility scooters. These batteries are designed to withstand full discharge on a daily basis. It weighs 39.6 Lbs against the OEM 24.2 Lbs because Battery capacity for lead acid type batteries is directly proportional to the lead content.

The Battery is available in a number of manufacturers, but the one I used in my Prius was a Rittar RA12-55, but is available from Lucas, Uasa, Panasonic, and many others.  It's dimensions are H 210 mm W 138 mm L 229 mm. The terminals are vertical M6 screw fixings that are easy to convert to the JAP posts if you wish or you can simply bolt the Battery leads straight onto the Battery. It is important to make sure you connect the Battery with the correct polarity.

It should be pointed out especially, "but not confined to" those that have hybrid cars when "jump" starting from another Battery or jump pack that you only have one chance to get the polarity of the Battery correct. One reverse connection even for a split second can have very expensive consequences to the electrical systems of the vehicle.

Over on Priuschat "the Prius forum" there is a steady stream of people in trouble with cars that have been reverse connected "even by professionals"

John 

• Like 1

thanks for the advice all, 

ill see if Toyota can fit me in the next few days before im back at work. they should have them in stock just about getting it done, its more peace of mind for the wife to be honest  dont really want her having to jump start it for sake of a hundred quid. saves me the time sourcing and fitting myself. ill see what they say when i call them in the morning