Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Very, Very strange noise coming from the LS!

Hello all,

I am getting quite worried about a very odd noise coming from our  ls430. On starting up the car, particularly from cold, there is a quite loud whirring noise I have never heard before. It stops when the gear lever is put into 'drive' position. It doesn't tend to happen when moving, only when stationary.

Very occasionally it will sound when turning sharply left. 

Any thoughts? I really hop this won't turn out to be a very costly transmission issue:unsure:The car has had no real problems for over a decade now so this noise has come as quite a surprise. Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,

Alex 

Oh dear not sure I can help with this one.

Check all fluid levels. Especially gearbox.

Could be load related and might be steering pump?

Can you hear it in the engine bay (careful leaning over engine - no loose clothing etc.) or it sounds like the tranny deep in the cogs type of noise?

:yawn:

29 minutes ago, Tinonline said:

Oh dear not sure I can help with this one.

Check all fluid levels. Especially gearbox.

Could be load related and might be steering pump?

Can you hear it in the engine bay (careful leaning over engine - no loose clothing etc.) or it sounds like the tranny deep in the cogs type of noise?

:yawn:

Hi Tinonline, thanks for the reply. The power steering fluid is fine but i'll make sure to check all the others. Where is the transmission fluid tank, out of interest, as I couldn't seem to see it? 

30 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

Hi alex i cannot advise on the noise but check the colour of your coolant to rule out mixing of transmission oil

I am sure someone will be along very soon who will have a better idea than me ref the noise

Hi Cruisermark, thanks for the reply. I should hopefully be able to check this all tomorrow when it is finally the end of the week:yahoo:And thanks for the reassurance. hopefully the car won't end up at the local stealership 

Ah, no tranny tank just the dipstick, best see owners manual or have a google...should be able to check hot or cold and when you look at fluid colour pulling the stick you'll see if that's amiss.  You want a nice red clean colour no black or emulsion cream deposits or water droplets. You fill via the dipstick hole if it's like a 400. Need tiny funnel.

40 minutes ago, Tinonline said:

Ah, no tranny tank just the dipstick, best see owners manual or have a google...should be able to check hot or cold and when you look at fluid colour pulling the stick you'll see if that's amiss.  You want a nice red clean colour no black or emulsion cream deposits or water droplets. You fill via the dipstick hole if it's like a 400. Need tiny funnel.

ok tinonline, thanks very much, i'll have to try this all on the weekend and I'll let you all know how it goes . Hopefully there is simple enough fix to the noise.

Alex 

Checking Transmission levels I find a difficult process. Getting the Car autobox up to temperature can't be done by just idling the engine stationary until the temp is on the 9.  Some suggest that after its up to heat that the car be left five minutes before starting the engine and doing the gear selector movement process before looking at the dipstick.

I personally don't like Lexus idea of a disptick on the 400 as its so easy to get dirt down the tube if not very careful. Give a good clean around the dipstick and anything it may touch, before pulling it out.  Lint free cloth to wipe and check whilst engine running. Don't wear a Tie or Scarf!!

3 hours ago, The-Acre said:

When you say particularly from cold, does it go away when you're up to running temperature?

Hi The Acre, it goes away when put into drive. When starting up the car on cold mornings is usually when the noise is heard. Thanks 

12 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Checking Transmission levels I find a difficult process. Getting the Car autobox up to temperature can't be done by just idling the engine stationary until the temp is on the 9.  Some suggest that after its up to heat that the car be left five minutes before starting the engine and doing the gear selector movement process before looking at the dipstick.

I personally don't like Lexus idea of a disptick on the 400 as its so easy to get dirt down the tube if not very careful. Give a good clean around the dipstick and anything it may touch, before pulling it out.  Lint free cloth to wipe and check whilst engine running. Don't wear a Tie or Scarf!!

Wow that sounds quite complex. Perhaps it will end up having to go to an expert. Thanks for the reply.

Alex

2 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Transmission fluid check was my immediate thought. Have you had a new radiator put on since you have owned it?

Hi spacewagon 52. I have not had a new radiator it's the original from 2002. Thanks

Alex

Does it go away when it's warmed up?  I think others are suggesting that the transmission may be contaminated with coolant, I'm not sure that would give you a whine.  Could it be coming from one of the serpentine belt pulleys/idlers/tensioner. Putting it in drive changes the load on the engine which can affect noises from the belt area.  If it were mine I'd think of taking off the belt and running the engine for a few seconds to see if it still whines.  It takes 5 mins to remove it, info on YouTube. A good time to replace the belt as well.  I changed mine 3 weeks ago as it was squealing on start up, all fine now though.   

Having said that I get a whine when cold.

Notice it when particularly cold.

It goes as the car warms up. 

Of course it depends upon loud it is...enough...but I'm not thinking there's a problem. 

I'll see if I can record it tomorrow morning after a cold night.

1 hour ago, Tinonline said:

Having said that I get a whine when cold.

Notice it when particularly cold.

It goes as the car warms up. 

Of course it depends upon loud it is...enough...but I'm not thinking there's a problem. 

I'll see if I can record it tomorrow morning after a cold night.

Hi Tinonline

Yes, I had wondered wether nearly 15 years down the line this sort of thing is normal but it is more of a rumbling whiring noise than a whine, and to be honest considering how amazing the LS is, it doesn't sound good at all. 

Alex 

2 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Does it go away when it's warmed up?  I think others are suggesting that the transmission may be contaminated with coolant, I'm not sure that would give you a whine.  Could it be coming from one of the serpentine belt pulleys/idlers/tensioner. Putting it in drive changes the load on the engine which can affect noises from the belt area.  If it were mine I'd think of taking off the belt and running the engine for a few seconds to see if it still whines.  It takes 5 mins to remove it, info on YouTube. A good time to replace the belt as well.  I changed mine 3 weeks ago as it was squealing on start up, all fine now though.   

Evening The Acre,

It goes away when put into D so before it gets o proper temp. Thanks.

`Alex 

27 minutes ago, The Lexus Enthusiast said:

Evening The Acre,

It goes away when put into D so before it gets o proper temp. Thanks.

`Alex

A rumble sounds more like a bearing.  When you select drive it changes the speed of the engine slightly which in turn could increase or decrease an alien sound.  It's so difficult when you don't have it in front of you to make more suggestions, but as I said, I would be taking the serpentine belt off to eliminate that area because it's so easy to do.  The belt is 86" long and goes around 7 components, so that's a lot to eliminate for 5-10 minutes work.

5 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

A rumble sounds more like a bearing.  When you select drive it changes the speed of the engine slightly which in turn could increase or decrease an alien sound.  It's so difficult when you don't have it in front of you to make more suggestions, but as I said, I would be taking the serpentine belt off to eliminate that area because it's so easy to do.  The belt is 86" long and goes around 7 components, so that's a lot to eliminate for 5-10 minutes work.

Funny you should say that, as a few months ago bearing was changed and I only started noticing the noise a little while after that. Perhaps they didn't do something quite right. Ha! We might have the answer!

What is the water level when cold - is it consistent to other times you've checked the expansion tank or has it dropped?

This will tell you if its going where it shouldn't.  May just be one of the pulleys.  When the timing belt was changed was the Water pump changed at the same time?  (assuming Car doesn't have chains  and sorry if wrong)

My daughters Suzuki Wagon R is squeeling like a stuck Pig and she's been through three serpentine belts in a month, so looking at ideas as to cause, its either misalignment of a pulley (usually due to worn bearing) or the AA hasn't properly cleaned the pulleys of debris when fitting. She said the AA took over two hours to fit one belt????

You can put a small amount of water onto the inner side of the Serpentine belt (with extreme caution if engine running) and see if noise disappears.   If it does, it will return, but it then suggests something other than the dreaded Oil/Water mixing in the Radiator.

Put a little water on the inner side of belt when engine off before first of the day starting is probably wisest.   Water pumps are notorious for making noises when on their way out. The bad news on a LS400 is that they are situated behind the Cam belt housing. 

6 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

What is the water level when cold - is it consistent to other times you've checked the expansion tank or has it dropped?

This will tell you if its going where it shouldn't.  May just be one of the pulleys.  When the timing belt was changed was the Water pump changed at the same time?  (assuming Car doesn't have chains  and sorry if wrong)

My daughters Suzuki Wagon R is squeeling like a stuck Pig and she's been through three serpentine belts in a month, so looking at ideas as to cause, its either misalignment of a pulley (usually due to worn bearing) or the AA hasn't properly cleaned the pulleys of debris when fitting. She said the AA took over two hours to fit one belt????

You can put a small amount of water onto the inner side of the Serpentine belt (with extreme caution if engine running) and see if noise disappears.   If it does, it will return, but it then suggests something other than the dreaded Oil/Water mixing in the Radiator.

Put a little water on the inner side of belt when engine off before first of the day starting is probably wisest.   Water pumps are notorious for making noises when on their way out. The bad news on a LS400 is that they are situated behind the Cam belt housing. 

Hello Stuart, I'm afraid I have no mechanical knowledge at all so have not ever checked any of this.:unsure: Looks like I need the help of someone in the know.

Cheers

Alex  

7 minutes ago, messi said:

Sounds like the serpintine belt and one of the pulleys to me

Hello messi and thanks very much for the reply. As I said to Stuart I have no idea about the mechanics of the car so what you said unfortunately doesn't mean much to inexperienced me:sad:

Alex 

3 minutes ago, The Lexus Enthusiast said:

Hello Stuart, I'm afraid I have no mechanical knowledge at all so have not ever checked any of this.:unsure: Looks like I need the help of someone in the know.

Cheers

Alex  

Yes I agree don't touch the Car unless you are comfortable about it, and of course I should have added the old "without responsibility or liability" caveat to my suggestion.

The expansion tank is however something that you can easily see under the bonnet and will contain red fluid. It is why you don't have to add water to a Radiator like the bad old days.  Evaporation is caught and recycled.  It will have a high and low mark on it and so you can see where you are with your Radiator Water level.  Fingers crossed.

6 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Yes I agree don't touch the Car unless you are comfortable about it, and of course I should have added the old "without responsibility or liability" caveat to my suggestion.

The expansion tank is however something that you can easily see under the bonnet and will contain red fluid. It is why you don't have to add water to a Radiator like the bad old days.  Evaporation is caught and recycled.  It will have a high and low mark on it and so you can see where you are with your Radiator Water level.  Fingers crossed.

Ok then Stuart i'll have to look at this all on sunday as tomorrow is already filled up.

Watch this space.

cheers Stuart 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links