Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GS300 to RX450H or GS450H???

Thanks Carl

Tyres were Dunlop 235/55/19s but I didn't see which ones (could be the 270s or could be the sport model).  They weren't as worn as the ones on the first one we test drove and that was definitely noisier than the GS.  This was appreciably quieter, and I'm unsure of there were any changes between vehicle sound deadening between 2012 and 2014 as the original one driven was a 2012 model.  It left me scratching my head because the differences between this and the Lux model we drove was significant on noise (I made a big thing of it after our first test drive as documented on this thread).  Our GS is very quiet and refined but you notice a bit more than with the newer RX when changing road surfaces.  The RX was quieter than the GS on a quick motorway trip at 70mph which was unexpected.

18 minutes ago, GSLV6 said:

Thanks Carl

Tyres were Dunlop 235/55/19s but I didn't see which ones (could be the 270s or could be the sport model).  They weren't as worn as the ones on the first one we test drove and that was definitely noisier than the GS.  This was appreciably quieter, and I'm unsure of there were any changes between vehicle sound deadening between 2012 and 2014 as the original one driven was a 2012 model.  It left me scratching my head because the differences between this and the Lux model we drove was significant on noise (I made a big thing of it after our first test drive as documented on this thread).  Our GS is very quiet and refined but you notice a bit more than with the newer RX when changing road surfaces.  The RX was quieter than the GS on a quick motorway trip at 70mph which was unexpected.

Interesting, mines a 59plate. I wonder if the sound proofing was changed or improved. My RX has only just turned 40k so pretty low mileage still and feels like a new vehicle but I defiantely find more road noise than my GS450h

15 hours ago, Carl911 said:

Interesting, mines a 59plate. I wonder if the sound proofing was changed or improved. My RX has only just turned 40k so pretty low mileage still and feels like a new vehicle but I defiantely find more road noise than my GS450h

Nope no change in sound deadening. 

The new one is eerily quiet though apart from the loud tyres on them. I suspect they spent a while on the sound deadening on those

49 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Nope no change in sound deadening. 

The new one is eerily quiet though apart from the loud tyres on them. I suspect they spent a while on the sound deadening on those

The new Mk4 model does have "improved" sound deadening over the Mk3, I checked yesterday with Lexus whilst looking at one.  What put me off the new one entirely though was the silly compromise to boot load space.  The increased rake at the back really does make a sacrifice to load area to an extent which I couldn't live with.  It's a shame that they've sacrificed practicality on the alter of fashion although they'll probably mutter something about slippery cd numbers...  

I do like the new cabin though, fab seats and driving position abut also find the instruments, and especially the large screen, quite distracting compared with the Mk3.  I don't think, even if I could justify the cost, that I'd trade the Mk3 for a newer Mk4 on those issues alone.

I don't know why the F-Sport that I ended up buying was so different from the first Luxury model that I tried.  It was noticeably much quieter. What surprised me the most was that the "subtle" changes in suspension weren't that subtle either, and seemed better still than the previous older F-Sport that I tried (fresher, lower mileage suspension perhaps had something to do with it?).  Whilst the SE/Lux/Advance models use the standard suspension set up which to me seemed to pitch and roll a little too much, the 2014 F-Sport was very much more composed. I threw it into a tight turn (it was one of those entry slip roads to a motorway which curve round) and there was hardly any body roll at all, very impressive for such a large vehicle.  The HUD is a fabulous extra and it really hit home just how much we all unconsciously must drive without our eyes on the road these days constantly worried about speed cameras of one sort or another, which sort of makes a mockery of the safety agenda (read "revenue" ). It ought to be standard on all vehicles as an essential safety feature.  That or get rid of every speed camera in the UK.  That's another debate to be had though...

Tyre-wise, I'm sure they've just gone with the company that they get the best deal from Rayaans, so the new OEM tyres won't be the optimal fitment.  Having not driven one, I can't comment on the comparison with the older Dunlop 270s.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, GSLV6 said:

The new Mk4 model does have "improved" sound deadening over the Mk3, I checked yesterday with Lexus whilst looking at one.  What put me off the new one entirely though was the silly compromise to boot load space.  The increased rake at the back really does make a sacrifice to load area to an extent which I couldn't live with.  It's a shame that they've sacrificed practicality on the alter of fashion although they'll probably mutter something about slippery cd numbers...  

This. I too found it quite silly. You can't stand up suitcases very easily so limiting usable space. Such a shame.

3 hours ago, Normski said:

This. I too found it quite silly. You can't stand up suitcases very easily so limiting usable space. Such a shame.

It is Norman, a great shame, and puts the RX now behind competitors including the Merc GLE and Volvo XC90 both of which (running costs to one side) seem to be more practical. It was a closer run thing with the Mk3 and a golden opportunity was lost to simply make the RX a smidgen longer, compromise slightly on rake angle, retain the same vertical load height/area as the older model, with a little additional load depth (say 200mm max), and with the spoiler, cd can't be overly compromised by making the rake a little steeper as with the older model. I wonder, in reality though, whether this will put a lot of people off as the biggest demographic seems to be well healed middle aged Americans as a fashion conscious buy for a tech laden comfy high seating position SUV, rather than a practical go anywhere one?  A bit like the RX has now just become a glorified version of the equally impractical but fashion conscious NX for which many a normal hatchback offers as much space for less compromise.

What it had going in Mk1, 2 and 3 guise was that it offered generous levels of practicality without falling victim to a fashion conscious designer penning it in some trendy upmarket urban coffee house and saying to his Hipster mates "look at this, it's my reworking of a cracking good SUV to make it appeal more to us younger crowd" and in doing so it has lost much of what made the originals appeal in the first place.  Understated elegance; unfussy and uncluttered cabin with a focus on few driving distractions, sensible and practical load space.  Now I've sat in one and seen a new one, it is certainly enough to make me look elsewhere if we ever change our Mk3.  A quick look at cars like the Mitsubishi Outlander, Kia Sorento, and Nissan Patrol shows that those manufacturers are not willing to sacrifice much in terms of practicality when it comes to load space.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, GSLV6 said:

It is Norman, a great shame, and puts the RX now behind competitors including the Merc GLE and Volvo XC90 both of which (running costs to one side) seem to be more practical. It was a closer run thing with the Mk3 and a golden opportunity was lost to simply make the RX a smidgen longer, compromise slightly on rake angle, retain the same vertical load height/area as the older model, with a little additional load depth (say 200mm max), and with the spoiler, cd can't be overly compromised by making the rake a little steeper as with the older model. I wonder, in reality though, whether this will put a lot of people off as the biggest demographic seems to be well healed middle aged Americans as a fashion conscious buy for a tech laden comfy high seating position SUV, rather than a practical go anywhere one?  A bit like the RX has now just become a glorified version of the equally impractical but fashion conscious NX for which many a normal hatchback offers as much space for less compromise.

What it had going in Mk1, 2 and 3 guise was that it offered generous levels of practicality without falling victim to a fashion conscious designer penning it in some trendy upmarket urban coffee house and saying to his Hipster mates "look at this, it's my reworking of a cracking good SUV to make it appeal more to us younger crowd" and in doing so it has lost much of what made the originals appeal in the first place.  Understated elegance; unfussy and uncluttered cabin with a focus on few driving distractions, sensible and practical load space.  Now I've sat in one and seen a new one, it is certainly enough to make me look elsewhere if we ever change our Mk3.  A quick look at cars like the Mitsubishi Outlander, Kia Sorento, and Nissan Patrol shows that those manufacturers are not willing to sacrifice much in terms of practicality when it comes to load space.

To be fair I don't really lug much around even with a full family inside so the loading has never been an issue for me. 

I'm also considering an NX300H now that the premier pack has become available on the F Sport and so ill need to take extensive test drives to ensure the performance is enough for me.

A test drive is the only way to know if you'll like it Rayaans. I've driven a few IS300h cars now, and liked the drive a lot.  On paper, the performance doesn't look to clever in comparison with any of the 450h models but behind the wheel, they've always felt adequate, courtesy of the mid range shove that the electric motors add when needed.  You might be disappointed after stepping out of a 450h F-sport though.  The ace up the NX sleeve (it has a few) seems to be what the car is like as an overall package. It looks pretty good (I think that the styling suits it better than the RX tbh), the cabin is excellent in fit and finish, and surprisingly it's actually very capable off road, unlike the heavier RX450.  Take a peak at the review the Fith Gear have done on the NX.  They really liked it.  

I'd not be tempted to an NX even if I was single as the load space is just too small.  I would struggle to get my bikes in there plus my other hobbies also demand more load space than the NX can offer.  It's a fashionable thing, not really a practical one, unless of course you are single and willing to use roof boxes or bike carriers when needed.

Picked up the RX today :smile:

Pat on the back to Lexus Cheltenham who even topped the petrol tank up to 3/4 full for me.

I must say, it's a completely different driving experience to the GS.  Despite the test drives, bringing it back home today, I really became aware of its bulk and width and also found that it demands a completely different driving style.  I miss the GS already in many respects.  I found its seats slightly firmer and with more adjustment which I preferred, and it was much more of a driver's car.  However the RX seems to make journey's more of an event than a chore and promotes a more laid back relaxing style of driving.

The good points include the quietness of the ride, and surprisingly, how agile the car is for a 2.5 tonne beast.  I'm glad we went for the F-Sport, It was worth the extra for the suspension which really does seem to limit body roll.  Much less feedback though from the steering than I'm used to.

It isn't bristling with as much adjustment or gadgets but perhaps that's no bad thing.  HUD is brilliant as is hands free phone and satnav is a big improvement on the older version.  I found that it seems better to leave the car in Sport mode all the time and just press the EV button when in town.  The average of 20 miles of mixed motorway and town driving was about 32mpg but that is still rising as the tank was only just filled before I picked it up.

Driving in ECO mode seems somewhat pointless.  It seems to have a throttle lag/delay built in, so to make progress, say jumping into a gap when filtering onto a roundabout you have to rev the thing to get anything from it!  I only had one foot to the floor moment to see how it picked up in Sport mode, and it does indeed fly.  Perhaps still not quite as rapid as the GS but really there's very little in it, but only if Sport mode is selected.

All that remains is to fiddle with the seating to try and get it spot on, but that always take and age when I change a vehicle.  Will start a thread on longer term ownership a few months down the line but this seems a good place to sign off on this thread.  For now, I have a list of jobs, which includes paint prep for polishing and sealing then waxing (cheaper than paying for the paint protection option!), then up onto the ramps for a clean off and wax-oiling of the sub frame assemblies.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, GSLV6 said:

Picked up the RX today :smile:

Pat on the back to Lexus Cheltenham who even topped the petrol tank up to 3/4 full for me.

I must say, it's a completely different driving experience to the GS.  Despite the test drives, bringing it back home today, I really became aware of its bulk and width and also found that it demands a completely different driving style.  I miss the GS already in many respects.  I found its seats slightly firmer and with more adjustment which I preferred, and it was much more of a driver's car.  However the RX seems to make journey's more of an event than a chore and promotes a more laid back relaxing style of driving.

The good points include the quietness of the ride, and surprisingly, how agile the car is for a 2.5 tonne beast.  I'm glad we went for the F-Sport, It was worth the extra for the suspension which really does seem to limit body roll.  Much less feedback though from the steering than I'm used to.

It isn't bristling with as much adjustment or gadgets but perhaps that's no bad thing.  HUD is brilliant as is hands free phone and satnav is a big improvement on the older version.  I found that it seems better to leave the car in Sport mode all the time and just press the EV button when in town.  The average of 20 miles of mixed motorway and town driving was about 32mpg but that is still rising as the tank was only just filled before I picked it up.

Driving in ECO mode seems somewhat pointless.  It seems to have a throttle lag/delay built in, so to make progress, say jumping into a gap when filtering onto a roundabout you have to rev the thing to get anything from it!  I only had one foot to the floor moment to see how it picked up in Sport mode, and it does indeed fly.  Perhaps still not quite as rapid as the GS but really there's very little in it, but only if Sport mode is selected.

All that remains is to fiddle with the seating to try and get it spot on, but that always take and age when I change a vehicle.  Will start a thread on longer term ownership a few months down the line but this seems a good place to sign off on this thread.  For now, I have a list of jobs, which includes paint prep for polishing and sealing then waxing (cheaper than paying for the paint protection option!), then up onto the ramps for a clean off and wax-oiling of the sub frame assemblies.

Hope your enjoying it.

i bought mine from cheltenham as like you I am Gloucester based.

i found the sales manager to be hard work to be honest but overall a fairly smooth transaction.

i have both my Lexus with warranty and service agreements so they certainly get there money's worth out of me.

carl

• Like 1

That's interesting Carl as I had no bother with the sales manager, quite the opposite in fact.  I have 3 years left on the hybrid warranty, a 12 month full lexus sales warranty on the car and a 3 year service plan, carried over from the GS and topped up back to 3 from 2 years, so the only other thing we'll be taking out is GAP insurance as the car is only a few years old.  I won't be taking out the full warranty until the car reaches 5 years old.  When the weather picks up and dries off in the spring and the salt is off the roads, I'll have the subframe waxoiled too.

Must admit, having done about 60 miles since picking it up, I am finding the seats a little too soft.  I have back problems and the older GS was perfect as it was a little firmer and 10 way adjustable so dead easy to get it spot on.  The RX is proving to be a little more difficult to get right for the most comfortable seating position.

The other niggle is that I don't much like the Radio controls accessed via the mouse nor the long winded way of tuning through stations rather than using the back and forward keys which just seem to jump between present stations.  The DAB is pretty good, better than expected though.

Overtaking is a breeze and here, I have to kneel down before Rayaans (!), bow, scrape and doff my cap, as the RX actually (in sport mode anyway) makes overtaking a breeze and feels almost a little more punchy than the GS.  From a standstill, the GS is still quicker but once on the move, the RX is surprisingly agile.  Rayaans, I eat humble pie....err...humbly:whistling:

Fuel economy with mixed driving it has been disappointing with 36mpg best and 31mpg average.  We'll see longer term how this changes (or not).

Handling is simply amazing compared with the Lux models.  The F-Sport was well worth the extra.  It just sits flat through corners unless pushed to the point at which 2.5 tonnes forces the car wide as the tyres start to lose grip and that's a gentle reminder that this isn't a sports car but it is still surprisingly capable.

• Like 1

Congratulations on the new car Paul! I too bought her RX Sport from Cheltenham - chap called Ben Godsland. Transaction went quite smoothly although some comms and after sales stuff could have been much better. As for the dealership...did you not think the parking there is a little crazy with not enough space ;)

As for GAP...check out ALA. There's a discount code you can get from the PistonHeads forums so makes things very good value when compared with the main dealer folk.

Don't forget the extended warranty option too. I thought it was worth getting the 2-for-1 deal on it at the time of sale.

Glad you are enjoying the car. The Mrs loves hers :)

Thanks Norman

The parking can be challenging, mainly because they have to share it with Toyota etc so the complex is a little limited and tight!

I thought that the GAP insurance was quite a good deal tbh, as it covered 3 years for under £100 annually.  I'll check out ALA too though.    The 2 for 1 year option is a good hook, but it's simply too much money for a newish vehicle and doesn't reflect the lower risks.  Its about time that Lexus considered a stepped warranty premium to reflect these things as they are missing out on a lot on a lot of custom treating one size fits all.  It would be dear enough at £400 annually for any vehicle up to 5 years old.  When it comes in at three times that, it simply isn't worth it. Once the vehicle's 5 years old, that's the time I'd consider it and despite what's said, I'm sure that for good customer's, they'd offer a 2 for 1 down the line.  I got that offer for my GS300 which I didn't even buy from them, so it is offered despite appearances ;-).

Things that I prefer over the GS now I've put a few miles on the RX include the driving position (you soon appreciate the higher driving position), the load space, the cabin room and the ride which is eerily silent.

The things that I prefer about the GS include the steering/handling, the performance, the sound system (it's better) and the levels of kit as standard.

It's going to take me a while to adjust.