Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just started looking at Lexus GS the past few days. Looking at earlier models up to about 8000GBP. More concerned with condition than miles, as Ive had a few cars with large mileages that have been very reliable. If I can get one cheaper that has been looked after, then all well and good.

Read a thread about the hybrid and the 450h being unreliable. Is that the case? Quite fancy having a hybrid, but not if they are going to be a bother.

I dont do many miles, about 8000 per year, with a few longer trips.

Which model would you say is pick of the bunch, also is there a list of options available (quite like the Mark Levinson audio - is this standard or optional).

Many Thanks

Lots of us on this forum are very happy with our 450hs. £8k will easily secure a lovely one with a Lexus extended warranty which covers the expensive stuff. Even the boot which I though I would find way too small has not been a big problem. Just need to think harder what you want to take with you. To be fair most of my building work is now done and I no longer have children to taxi about.

Town journeys OK and longer trips are great.

John

I have a 2006 GS300 and I absolutely love it. I have had it over a year and it is awesome.

One issue worth pointing out is the air-con. When I bought mine, the AC didn't work, I assumed it would need a re-gas, it turned out to be a leak in the pipes and I was told it would cost around £1,000 to repair. Around half of that was labour. When I called up Lexus for a quote on the pipes, I was told they don't actually make one of the 4 pipes anymore. Its not the end of the world as it rarely gets hot enough to need air con but it is still annoying. So my advice is to make sure the AC works. :-)

When I was searching for a GS, i did consider the 450h. I ruled it out at the end because of the following:

- The small boot. I have some nephews that like me to lug their bikes etc around so the boot needed to be as big as possible.

- On my budget, I would have had to get a high mileage example. As I didn't know too much about hybrids, I thought this would increase the likelihood of the Battery pack failing.      The cost of replacing this, in addition to the extra cost in buying it would probably negate any savings I would make in fuel cost.

- Insurance was also a lot higher for me compared to the GS300. I was 25 at the time.

However, the GS300 costs £500 annually to tax, the 450h is much less (around £250 i think).

The GS300 is no slouch by any means and the V6 engine sounds great but the 450h is a lot quicker and being a hybrid, I assume the power is more immediate. Also, I think the 450h pretty much comes fully loaded as standard.

I have no regrets with my GS300, it still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. However, when I do decide to change my car (hopefully in the very distant future) I would probably seriously consider going for the  GS450h.

• Like 1

You kind of answered your question yourself. Lexus are the cars which likes miles and you should not be concerned about high miles example, but equally they like proper care, so make sure they have service history.

I were you I would be looking particularly for GS450h as it sounds most exciting, but you right by saying that petrol models are probably marginally safer choice.

For reliability, space and most kit as standard (that accolade doesn't go to the newer hybrid models), the GS300 takes some beating.  It drives really well, is powerful, very refined, and more spacious than any of the hybrid models (much larger boot and more rear cabin space).  It's not ultimately as quick as the 450h but by any standards is more than adequate with 0-60 in 7.1 seconds and a top whack of 148mph.  I average 28mpg in mine (and there's lots of hills where I live), with the best on a run being 42mpg.  That's excellent economy for a 3 litre V6 petrol.  The engine's superb, the cabin roomy, and SE gets you electric memory heated and ventilated front seats, a Mark Levinson sound system, satnav, CDP, DVD player, 10 way adjustable seats, adaptive HID Xenon headlamps (they swivel when you go round corners), dual climate control etc etc etc.  Better specified than the new Lux specification hybrid in fact. Bodywork and panel fit is excellent.  Handling is ok. It's no 5 series but does better the S60 Volvo by some margin.  £497 annual taxation but lower insurance group than newer more powerful hybrids and no CVT transmission (my GS is a 6 speed auto and smooth as silk).  Low miles examples are around.  You can pick up a 2007/2008 SE or SE-L with full history and 70K miles for about £7K to £8K, or £10K dealer.  I have seen private examples go for as little as £6K with low miles. Less complex and less to go wrong than a hybrid and uses the less problematic coil spring suspension.

Besides the aircon (which rarely gives problems), the only things to note reliability-wise are the wheels (lacquer finish on these is a complete joke...budget £350 off for a complete wheel refurb);  exhausts can split at the joint from the cat-back pipe to the two muffler pipes on the "Y" section (£780 for just the exhaust) and whilst these are meant to last 15 years, mine went after just 9 years.  Suspension does take a hammering too on these as they are a heavy car, so budget a few new shocks at around 70K to 80K miles at around £350 each.

Other than that, they do seem to be very reliable and very highly regarded.  I will be changing mine soon.  Its had all the work needed done on it and could be mistaken for showroom it's that good and is genuine low miles.  (when it comes time to sell I will be asking just under £8K with a full lexus dealer service history if you were tempted to one).  I'll probably replace mine with an RX a the new GS just doesn't appeal as much to me.

• Like 2

Cheers for the advice. 

What do you think of this, not sure what the GS would look like in metallic green though (even though it is my favourite colour).

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201612060388631

Also, what is the difference between SE and SE-L specification?

Having just lost my Soarer, I recently bought a GS430 and its one hell of a car , a wolf in sheep's clothing, fully loaded with stuff I never knew existed like radar cruise control , more power than the Soarer had, 0-60 time  just less than 6 secs (Lexus figures)..A full 5 seater saloon  with sport coupe performance. The problem is finding them , though I notice there are some available on a few car sales sites £5000 - £7000 depending on the year.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, deanflyer said:

Cheers for the advice. 

What do you think of this, not sure what the GS would look like in metallic green though (even though it is my favourite colour).

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201612060388631

Also, what is the difference between SE and SE-L specification?

I think it looks pretty good in metallic green, it stands out a bit more IMO.

I would be sure to check the history. As the pics don't show a reg plate, you can't do an online MOT history check.

In terms of spec, I don't think there is a huge difference, other than the ML stereo.

See this link:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/lexus/gs/saloon-2005/specs/

I'm not sure how much of this changed on the face lift.

+1

I wouldn't worry too much about the spec as SE and SE-L are both specified higher than the newer Lux models.  They both have 10 way electrically adjustable front seats, satnav, heated and ventilated seats, reversing camera, adaptive intelligent front lamps etc etc.  The SE-L gives you a sunroof and on some models, an upgraded Mark Levinson stereo (my SE has this in anyway).  The price and on the one you highlighted looks really good, very low for the year and mileage (on a Lexus forecourt, it'd be £10K all day long....my local lexus dealer had one at over 10K of a simliar age) and its no mileage either.  Looks like a very good buy. 

Hmm, not too fussed about a sunroof, so maybe a standard SE might be the best bet. Noticed that there is one just up the road for sale, so ill pop over tomorrow to have a look round and get familiar.

Thought I would have a look on the Lexus UK site, and found this 2006 GS450h with full Lexus history. Couldn't ignore the advantage of the Lexus warranty. I pick it up next week :)

Haven't even driven one yet, hope I like it :)

I can get also get a 3 year extended warranty on this for 1095 at the moment, will definately go for this, unless there is a good reason not to.

gs450h.jpg

450hinterior.jpg

• Like 2

Great car....only hampered by a much smaller boot space than the non-hybrid.  As it's a 10 yr old example, it would be well worth taking out the lexus hybrid warranty. I think it's about £56 a year and covers hybrid drive system (including batteries and motor).  At £4K for a replacement Battery pack, it's well worth it!

Thanks, looking forward to getting it.

The dealer mentioned an extended 2 year warranty for £1095, which I assume extends the Lexus used warranty the car comes with. Is the hybrid drive warranty really that cheap? Bit sneaky them not having the Hybrid batteries on the standard warranty.

Dean,

The extended 2 year warranty for £1095 certainly covers all the hybrid stuff. If the dealer warranty is the standard Lexus warranty the hybrid stuff will be covered. I don't know what this £56 warranty is that GSLV6 mentions.

Yours looks terrific. Almost as nice as mine was before three of my four corners were swiped sad.gif

John

John,

Thanks. The dealer has confirmed the hybrid stuff is all covered under the warranty.

3 of 4 corners, that's impressive. Horrid when your car is damaged. I had a car sideswipe me on a roundabout last month, they only did one corner though! First bump in over 15 years driving.

Dean,

Has it got two keys? Sounds as if it would have but check and bargain if necessary. Indispensible if car will be used by two drivers of different physical size as your key can be associated with all your settings of seat, steering wheel and wing mirrors, and the other key can be associated with the other driver's settings. Whichever key is used when driver's door is the first door opened will cause all the settings for that key to be set. This is really important feature for me but descriptions rarely mention it. 

Sadly for reasons I don't understand the rear view mirror has to be set by hand. Other cars can adjust automatically, why not Lexus?

John

2 hours ago, OldTrout said:

Dean,

The extended 2 year warranty for £1095 certainly covers all the hybrid stuff. If the dealer warranty is the standard Lexus warranty the hybrid stuff will be covered. I don't know what this £56 warranty is that GSLV6 mentions.

Yours looks terrific. Almost as nice as mine was before three of my four corners were swiped sad.gif

John

It's what  a Lexus dealer quoted me last week for annual insurance/warranty on just the hybrid system if I chose to buy a used RX John.  However, having just looked at the prices quoted on the Lexus website, I suspect that he was talking out of his hat, just as he seemed to be RE specifications. 

5 hours ago, deanflyer said:

I can get also get a 3 year extended warranty on this for 1095 at the moment, will definately go for this, unless there is a good reason not to.

I would strongly suggest to go with warranty with any hybrid, not that they often brakes down, but because if they do that can be very expensive. So mainly I would take warranty for sake of air suspension and hybrid parts. If going for petrol GS I would say there are definitely no good reason to get it, but with hybrid there is.

Very nice car indeed.. fully loaded with ACC and alikes... As well I the best colour combo for used cars, black interior is much easier to care for and you don't need to worry about getting 10 years of dirt out of it.

8 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

I would strongly suggest to go with warranty with any hybrid, not that they often brakes down, but because if they do that can be very expensive. So mainly I would take warranty for sake of air suspension and hybrid parts. If going for petrol GS I would say there are definitely no good reason to get it, but with hybrid there is.

Very nice car indeed.. fully loaded with ACC and alikes... As well I the best colour combo for used cars, black interior is much easier to care for and you don't need to worry about getting 10 years of dirt out of it.

I would generally agree with Linas, but.......if the car is 10 years old at time of purchase,it will be 11 years old when the Lexus Extended Warranty is due to come into play and as matters stand currently it will not be eligible. Or am I missing something ?

Regards

John

• Like 1

That is good point.... I was just going by what is in the post.. I guess Lexus would not offer extended warranty for 3 years then?

I guess it would be better to ask Lexus i.e. maybe you cannot buy extended warranty after 10 years or 140k miles, but if you got it before the limits, maybe warranty doesn't cease at he point car becomes 11years old or gets over 140k miles. 

My main point was - if warranty is available, then go for it, if not then obviously you have not other choice, but you can use it as great bargaining chip - basically say to dealer - "it is very nice car, but I am concerned that it being 10 years old and hybrid something expensive can go in hybrid drive and as I cannot get extended warranty due to the age I would expect that to be reflected in price."

8 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

That is good point.... I was just going by what is in the post.. I guess Lexus would not offer extended warranty for 3 years then?

I guess it would be better to ask Lexus i.e. maybe you cannot buy extended warranty after 10 years or 140k miles, but if you got it before the limits, maybe warranty doesn't cease at he point car becomes 11years old or gets over 140k miles. 

My main point was - if warranty is available, then go for it, if not then obviously you have not other choice, but you can use it as great bargaining chip - basically say to dealer - "it is very nice car, but I am concerned that it being 10 years old and hybrid something expensive can go in hybrid drive and as I cannot get extended warranty due to the age I would expect that to be reflected in price."

Maybe the buyer could buy 3 years official cover at the point of purchase and the dealership reimburses him for the cost of the third year ?

Regards

John

According to the sales chap they have a 24 month for the price of 12 month offer on at the moment and I am eligible to purchase if I want.

A GS450h with three years Lexus warranty for just over £8600, personally I think is good value and gives great peace of mind.

5 minutes ago, deanflyer said:

According to the sales chap they have a 24 month for the price of 12 month offer on at the moment and I am eligible to purchase if I want.

A GS450h with three years Lexus warranty for just over £8600, personally I think is good value and gives great peace of mind.

Yes it is good value Dean,but my view is that 12 months warranty should be provided/paid for by the Dealer irrespective of the price paid,unless that price was reduced speifically to compensate for the absence of a Dealer warranty.

Regards

John

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links