Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

9 minutes ago, deanflyer said:

According to the sales chap they have a 24 month for the price of 12 month offer on at the moment and I am eligible to purchase if I want.

A GS450h with three years Lexus warranty for just over £8600, personally I think is good value and gives great peace of mind.

That offer is a bit naughty in the wording really....all to draw people in.  The phrasing is (deliberately) misleading.  They seem to have it all the time, not just as a "one off". I was offered it two years ago....then again last year....and again this year, hence there doesn't seem to be an "...at the moment" about it. :wink3:

John,

Not quite sure what you are getting at. It does include warranty.

It was £8000 including the 12 month Lexus warranty. I've negotiated a small discount of ~£400.

£1095 is for two additional years warranty.

Dean

3 hours ago, deanflyer said:

John,

Not quite sure what you are getting at. It does include warranty.

It was £8000 including the 12 month Lexus warranty. I've negotiated a small discount of ~£400.

£1095 is for two additional years warranty.

Dean

Dean,

I do not see how the additional 2 year warranty can be bought as by the time you come to buy it (2017) the car will be more than 10 years old and therefore be excluded as only cars up to 10 years old or 140,000 miles can be included.

Or am I missing something ?

Regards

John

Yes, MOT is being done at no extra charge. Not sure about the additional warranty, they said I could have it and i'm taking them up on their offer :) Well see as Ive emailed a few more questions across to them and awaiting a response. Im collecting the car next weekend and will be purchasing the additional warranty then.

I really dont know the ins and outs of the Lexus warranty but if they sell me an extended warranty I'll expect them to honour it. 

Update.

The nice Lexus sales person has admitted that the car can not be sold with an extended warranty as it is over 10 years old, even though he had previously confirmed it in  email that it could. I only found this out by chance before picking the car up this weekend when chatting with my local Lexus dealer who looked the car up on their system and confirmed this was the case. I'm sure this was an oversight on their part as they are probably not used to dealing with 10+ year old stock. It doesn't change the outcome though.

I have decided not to go ahead with this particular car, even though it does look in good condition as I cant afford the time/hassle of a 10+ year old car without a warranty. 

The search continues.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, deanflyer said:

Update.

The nice Lexus sales person has admitted that the car can not be sold with an extended warranty as it is over 10 years old, even though he had previously confirmed it in  email that it could. I only found this out by chance before picking the car up this weekend when chatting with my local Lexus dealer who looked the car up on their system and confirmed this was the case. I'm sure this was an oversight on their part as they are probably not used to dealing with 10+ year old stock. It doesn't change the outcome though.

I have decided not to go ahead with this particular car, even though it does look in good condition as I cant afford the time/hassle of a 10+ year old car without a warranty. 

The search continues.

Sorry that things have not worked out for you Dean.There are other fish in the sea and as one door closes another will open in due course.

Bear in mind that sadly you do need to check out any information that is given to you and the members on this Forum will more often than not be able to advise you.

Do let us all know how you get on.

Regards

John 

• Like 1

+1 to the above.

I think you'll be lucky to buy any vehicle, let alone a Lexus, which is over 10 years old and get an extended warranty on it unless you pay through the teeth for it.  By the time you add up the £500 or more annually it would likely cost, you could just put that sum aside in a savings account and fund any work yourself.  Buy the right car, and it should stay reliable.  Your chances of this with a Lexus are arguably better than with any other marque.  The only other cars that seem to be bomb-proof are the older Merc diesels.  I would happily run my GS another 5 years without any warranty and it'll be 10 years old in the New Year.  It's never let me down yet.  Ask owners of original LS400's how many break downs they get and you'll struggle to find many.   Of course it's the non-break-down stuff, like a leaking shock or exhaust system or a failed sensor which doesn't affect the car running, that can cost money, but to buy newer, you pay for it anyway in up front capital worth, so cars really are swings and roundabouts.

Better to buy a really well sorted 10 year old Lexus with all the usual jobs (like exhaust and shockers) taken care of, and chances are, you'll be driving it for many years to come without major expense.

• Like 2

I take your point. I think if they had stated the extended warranty wan't available from day one it wouldn't have been an issue.

When they offered it I thought 3 years warranty on 10 year old Hybrid could prove very useful and provides a fixed cost, plus its more attractive if I come to sell after a couple of years ownership.

What about a non-hybrid GS300?  You still get decent performance, exceptional economy for a 3 litre petrol a full auto box and one of the sweetest drives this side of an S-Class.  No complex hybrid tech and lighter weight = pretty respectable handling and 0-60 in 7.1 seconds.  Same car inside and out as the one you looked at but with the bonus of much more boot space.  Cheaper to buy too!

• Like 2

So I am now in possession of a 2006 Lexus GS450h with a 3 year Lexus warranty :)

The original dealer came back and confirmed they could after all provide the Lexus extended warranty. Picked up the car yesterday. It failed its MOT on Friday so Lexus Derby popped two new shock absorbers on. No further advisories. They also completed the major service (80,000 miles) as it was due in February.

Got 36mpg over the past 2 days. It will take some getting used to compared to my old BMW M135i and you can definately feel the weight but all in all I like it.

I noticed the steering wheel is very slightly off centre, so its going into my local Lexus dealer next week to get sorted. Lexus Derby will pay for this.

First time dealing with a Lexus dealer and the customer service has been excellent.

Welcome to the club Dean, and hopefully, you'll find that one of the benefits of ownership is that most Lexus dealers are a pleasure to deal with and put customer service ahead of lip service.

I used to run a beemer, but the GS is better in almost every respect to the 3 series 6 pot I had.  It's better on fuel, handling's not quite as sharp due to the weight but it's just as reassuring; the ride quality is light years ahead as is level of kit, fit and finish of exteriors and interiors.  You'll soon get used to it and adjust your driving style to suite. When you do, you'll come to appreciate just what a mature, refined and pleasurable vehicle it is to drive and own.  Don't tell everyone though....we want to keep this to ourselves!

I have an invoice for the 12 months warranty + 24 months Lexus 5+ extended warranty. The official paperwork should follow on in the next week or so. Having the additional warranty is reassuring.

It is booked in at Lexus Newcastle between Xmas and New Year to get the steering wheel looked at. I dont have to claim on warranty, it is getting billed to Lexus Derby.

I have also noticed a low frequency rumble/occasional thump going over rough roads/speed bumps that seems to be coming from the rear of the car. It may just be me, but it doesn't sound quite right. May be a bearing or suspension issue, however I would be surprised if it is something serious with the car just being serviced/MOTed. Anything ideas?

It was the front shocks that were replaced, so hopefully they weren't messing around with anything on the back end.

How quiet do you find your GS450h when pulling away from a standstill?

Oh, and quite a few squeaks from the dashboard!! Thought my old Golf was bad. Is this something that I can get them to look at under warranty, or will they just say its the age of the car?

• Like 2

Thought I'd give you an update now that I've had the car a few days.

Noise from rear of car was getting progressively worse. Not having driven a GS before I wasn't sure whether the wallowy feeling was just me, or whether it was an underlying problem. Decided to pop into Lexus Newcastle just in case. Long story short, both rear shocks need replacing.

Liaised with Lexus Derby who have been fantastic, great communication and outcome is car doesn't have to be returned to them. Lexus Newcastle will carry out the work, billed directly to Lexus Derby.

It would be easy to complain that they didn't pick this up on their pre-sales inspection and the MOT, however it is the response to the issue that matters and I am more than happy with the outcome plus the car now has 4 brand new shocks :)

Hopefully it will drive a bit better once I get it back.

• Like 1

Well that sounds like a good result and shows the value of buying through the dealer network and you've still got the reassurance of the warranty should you need it.

How are you getting on with dashboard noises? I can't imagine it's worse than an old Golf

Bob,

Still some creaks. This may well be associated with the rear shocks being gone though. The car is going in just before New Year so ill hold fire until then. I am not really sure how much I can complain about this, but if I consider it unacceptable ill chase it up directly with the dealer and see where we go from there.

hi

Dean - as mentioned above buying from the dealer has paid dividends for you  - another member is having to put up a real fight to get one leaking shock absorber changed - there is a lenghty thread on here.

The dashboard creaking is also a common 450h complaint - some members have had some success by pushing wadding down the side - i would advise bringing this up with the dealer - it has nothing to do with the shock absorbers.

all the best

On 21/12/2016 at 0:33 PM, deanflyer said:

Noise from rear of car was getting progressively worse. Not having driven a GS before I wasn't sure whether the wallowy feeling was just me, or whether it was an underlying problem. Decided to pop into Lexus Newcastle just in case. Long story short, both rear shocks need replacing.

Dean: Delighted all your shock absorbers are going to be done and not at your expense. As someone who has driven a couple of thousand miles with failed shocks and not noticed any noise, could you describe the noise for me please? I haven't noticed a willowy feeling either. Perhaps I am just an insensitive driver?

John

It seemed that noise was being transmitted from the rear of the car. Like a rattling/clunking noise.

It may be separate but I seem to notice a low frequency noise too, this may be associated with the electric motor. not not sure. Id have to drive another GS450h to compare. It doesnt seem as quiet as I had expected it to be. Maybe it is so quiet I notice all the other noises!

Car is booked in for the rear shocks to be done on the 28th so will be able to do a proper comparison afterwards.

I don't have any noises like that. I await your post after they have been done on the 28th.

I think the driver is much more aware of noises than the passenger. I am quite deaf but hear the transmission at low speeds. In particular when car comes to a halt the noise reminds me of a tube train stopping. Others have said a lift stopping. I though the car was really quiet when I first got it but it now seems less so although it is actually just the same.

I thought a quieter car (had the 2nd. gen GS before) would enable me to hear my wife better. However I still don't hear her any better as she has adjusted to the quieter environment by dropping her voice.....

Ill let you know how I get on once they are replaced. Interestingly the rear shock absorbers are being covered under the Lexus warranty. Not that im bothered either way, as long as they are replaced.

On 12/18/2016 at 5:13 PM, deanflyer said:

So I am now in possession of a 2006 Lexus GS450h with a 3 year Lexus warranty :)

The original dealer came back and confirmed they could after all provide the Lexus extended warranty. Picked up the car yesterday. It failed its MOT on Friday so Lexus Derby popped two new shock absorbers on. No further advisories. They also completed the major service (80,000 miles) as it was due in February.

Got 36mpg over the past 2 days. It will take some getting used to compared to my old BMW M135i and you can definately feel the weight but all in all I like it.

I noticed the steering wheel is very slightly off centre, so its going into my local Lexus dealer next week to get sorted. Lexus Derby will pay for this.

First time dealing with a Lexus dealer and the customer service has been excellent.

Dean,

I forgot to ask you what the mileage was on the GS450h when you bought it?

Regards

John 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links