Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

EGR problem

stormchaser

So the last few days the CT has decided to have bad engine starting from cold. A lot of shuddering and misfiring then gradually clears. Drives great after this. It makes a hell of noise and is quite worrying. I got a feeling it's the EGR valve at fault ( quite a common problem apparently also to the Prius). Obviously Lexus aren't helpful and just want your £132 hourly diagnostic charge. He did say they've had a few of them recently with this problem and it "could " be the EGR or other things. A new valve is £260 so I'm going to have a go at cleaning it out at the weekend with some Carb cleaner. I've watched a few videos of this on YouTube and seems straight forward to do. Maybe after 72K it's getting a bit coked up?

I did put it in Sport mode last night and gave a good hard drive to clear it a bit and today I didn't get poor starting. It's quite well known on the Prius forum and has good results after. Anything to save a few pounds [emoji4]

I'll report back with the result.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Not so sure on petrol cars but symptoms on diesels with blocked/jammed EGR valves are loss of power and lots of exhaust smoke.

For the cost of DIY labour (zero) and a can of carb cleaner I would do the same as you.

Mine will never fail........it doesn't have EGR.

• Like 2

below is a quote off one of the ct forums,is this anything similar to your issue

"on start up really noisy then goes back to normal as if nothing has happened

and it only happens when its cold , got a call from lexus today and they said they

are going to replace the intake manifold per lexus service bulletin tsb-0004-13

"
  • Like 1

Yes exactly this. Unfortunately it's only a US recall. I've watched some videos and it's quite common to CT and Prius and the noise is exactly the same. I'll just take off the EGR and pipe and clean them out,it's a quick easy job. Today it didn't do it as it's not cold here(12 degrees). Only when it's cold. Strange.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Didn't get round to cleaning it out this weekend as I've had no problems. Just given it a one shot fuel treatment to help shift some crud. Engine comes in seamlessly now compared to before. I'll change the plugs soon as everything else is done.

The videos I've seen on YouTube only show removal and cleaning of the intake EGR pipe, not the valve or cooler. In order to remove the valve and cooler, you would need to remove the 2 m8 nuts from the exhaust manifold pipe and the  2 m8 studs and the gasket. Then to remove the egr, it is held on by 2 m8 nuts (on studs - 1 in the cylinder head and 1 in the cam carrier) and 1 m8 bolt going into the head cover. Un clip the harness from the valve and job done.

• Like 2

I have been recently the last month or so. I've just filled up with Shell V power and given it a "spirited" few drives in Sport mode up to full rpm. It runs better with this fuel compared to normal (placebo effect?). It hasn't done it since. It is a well known problem that has now reared its head with hybrid Auris cars now as well as Prius. Most reports are from when the weather is very cold and first engine fire up after electric motor. I'm very curious as to how blocked the EGR and pipe is but I'm going to have to leave it until after Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...

At the moment due to Christmas and work I have yet to sort it out. It hasn't done it since the last 2 episodes. I'm still yet to plug it into Techstream. I must take it to work and get into the workshop to have a play. I will keep this updated on any findings.

• 1 year later...

Were there any updates to this, did you remove the EGR to clean it? I want to do mine to see if it's the cause of an issue but looking at videos for the Prius a rear nut looks to be PITA to remove. The rod on my EGR isn't smooth when it's pushed in and out so seems to be sticking.

I did give it a quick squirt with carb cleaner in the EGR and pipe. There were no error codes at all.
To this day it hasn’t done it again. Monthly I give it a shot of fuel injector cleaner which makes a difference.

Where did you spray the carb cleaner on the EGR, on the rod part after removing the magnet and spring or somewhere else?

I've also got no CEL or error codes so it's difficult to guage what could be happening. Injector cleaner is a good idea. With the low miles the car is doing ATM it probably needs some. What brand do you use?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

After spraying the EGR the juddering went for about 6 months and then started again. I sprayed it again and it's not done it since so I want to remove the valve and clean it properly.

I've read one of the nuts is a bugger to access and various parts need removing. I can't find where I read that though, does anyone know what needs to be removed to access the nut?

I posted the instructions above, a flexible head ratchet spanner is needed to remove the two m8 exhaust nuts. They're the nuts that you need to loosen blind.

18 minutes ago, tayaste said:

I posted the instructions above, a flexible head ratchet spanner is needed to remove the two m8 exhaust nuts. They're the nuts that you need to loosen blind.

Yes I did see that, have you done this on the CT yourself? One nut at the rear looks like it has no access at all.

• 8 months later...

A bit of a thread resurrection here.
Just updating on this. The CT is now on 103K and to this day I haven’t had that problem again. EGR system is totally clean throughout (incl throttle body).
It had a major service last year in October and I’m still using injector cleaner once a month. Runs perfectly and the MPG is still staying up as best it can in this cold weather.

• 1 month later...

That reminds me I still haven't taken the EGR off to clean it, but then we're barely doing any mileage in it ATM. I've had to remove the cover and free the pin up a couple of times since my last post though so it needs doing. I did buy the parts to clean it so I'll try and do it next week as I'm off work.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm having real trouble with this to be honest. Cars on around 85k so nothing major.

Took the pipe off and cleaned it, tbh I was quite surprised that there wasn't alot of carbon deposits their.

Im contemplating replacing the whole egr, it's quite expensive. Wondering if it's a DIY job. 

When I've inspected the plunger unit (the black cylinder in the middle of the pic above) it seemed really sticky. So when I pushed it in, it was a little reluctant on the way up and down. Is it possible to just replace that part?

Before replacing the EGR are there any other diagnostics I can do, it seems to flash P0403 up alot.

Just really hoping it's not the manifold.

Given the solenoid is sticking and it is being flagged up as P0403 by the ECU I would replace the EGR as a complete assembly ( the solenoid is not available as a separate component).

There are quite a few new OEM ones on eBay for around the £200.00 mark, if you want new gaskets let me know for the part numbers.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=lexus+ct200h+egr&_sacat=0