Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear-Section Filth

Road surfaces that have been varying from damp to wet because of persistent high-humidity fog and smog these past few weeks

have highlighted the problem of large amounts of spray kicked up by the RC's rear tyres, practically coating the entire rear section

from the boot down after even short drives.  The IS had a similar issue but not as great, probably because of narrower tyres and

different aerodynamics.  Apart from unsightliness, the main annoyance regards the need to frequently clean the rear-view lens as

well as one's hands after closing the boot or opening it from the outside and leaving finger-prints on the dirty surface.  I see no

solution to the problem other than to fit splash-guards, which I am not going to do, so I guess I must learn to live with it.

I had the protection pack fitted and must say the mud flaps front and rear certainly keep the majority of the muck of the car. Yes the rear valance does get a film of road grime but no worse than many other cars.

Regarding closing the boot lid, I use the interior grab handle to flip it down then quickly press on the centre of the boot top edge. Minimal dirt on hands and no tell tale prints on the boot :yes:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soperman said:

The content of this thread does not meet the initial expectations raised when I first glanced at the topic title.

The title did get your attention though, didn't it?:wink:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

I had the protection pack fitted...etc. ....

Peter:   I'll certainly take another look at the protection pack, some bits of which I think I already have, e.g. the boot liner, and non-

slip mats including rubber ones inherited from the IS which fit the RC only at the front. What I need to overcome is my specific dislike 

for mud-flaps.  I too use the inside grab-handle to close the boot, and have done so almost religiously ever since some past owner's 

manual told me that I should.   However, it's the last bit of the closing operation when you are supposed to press down on the lid that 

I find irritating.  Maybe I'm being overly neurotic but I have now developed a new technique whereby, in order to minimize epidermal 

soiling and limit the amount of forensic evidence I leave on the lip of the boot, I centre my little finger on the top edge of the numberplate

and then, combining a firm initial push with a final flick of the wrist, gently complete the operation.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rayaans said:

Use a dirt repellant sealant to keep the car clean. Sonax PNS keeps the car much cleaner than a wax or other sealants IMO.

Rayaan:   I had been thinking along the same lines, though my own choice, having used it successfully for many years on alloy                                                              wheels, would be Collinite Insulator Wax on the bumper section.

15 minutes ago, Rabbers said:

Peter:   I'll certainly take another look at the protection pack,

I don't think the mud flaps are as obtrusive as on some cars but they certainly keep some of the muck off the car

day-exterior-18_3T5_LC54.jpg

day-exterior-13_3T5_LC54.jpg

Peter:   Thank you for the pictures.   As non-OEM appendages go, the mud-flaps are acceptably unobtrusive, and better still, when

imagined on a Titanium car, they would probably look even better suited than on Red because of overall colour continuity between

body and wheels, strakes and exhausts.   Effectiveness and aesthetic acceptability are a persuasive combination, so much so that

next time the car gets particularly filthy - if not earlier - I'll probably be on the phone to my dealer about prices and fitting.   

Lexus supply and fit price for the mud flaps is £250 here in the UK. The Protection Pack, when ordered with the car, is surprisingly good value at £450. All the elements purchased separately come to £690..

Imaged on a Titanium colour car

day-exterior-18_1J7_LC14.jpg

day-exterior-15_1J7_LC14.jpg

So, Peter, having duly mulled over the second couple of pictures of the RC in Titanium, for which my thanks, I have, without further

ado, ordered a set of mud-flaps at the price of €220, fitted, which is cheaper than the £250 asked in the U.K.  They will probably not

be delivered before the end of the month, which means that my RC may well be spending a dirty Christmas but a clean and happy

New Year.   Again, thank you for your advice.

• 1 month later...

Having now had mud-guards on the RC for a few weeks, I am, on the whole, pleased with them insofar as they do what they 

are supposed to do.   They mar the car's appearance only slightly while significantly lessening the accumulation of dirt on the

rear wings and numberplate area in wet or even slightly damp conditions.  Splashes on the door-skirts are also much reduced.

The deflection and dispersion of spray away from the car can be seen in the side-mirrors, and is bad news for pedestrians

and cyclists.  The main negative regards the unavoidable improvement in forward visibility for wet-weather tailgaters who,

especially on motorways, now seem encouraged to come even closer.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hello there: I'll appreciate if one of your members let me know which seller in UK can I buy directly this mudguards from USA, they are not available here, or if can someone can buy it for me and pay it directly from Paypal, you can reply to this matter to my email stenic@comcast.net

Sincerely,

Rick 

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Mini Cooper said:

Hi there,

I was wondering the same as Rick, but also any mud flaps I have found online are for the earlier model.

Does anyone know if they would fit the 2019 model?

Cheers Mini

I spoke with the Lexus product team and they advised me that the mud flaps for the pre-2019 model will not fit the new model. 

I can see that the lower profile on the rear wheel arch is different from my previous model but the fronts appear the same but Lexus were adamant  they wouldn't fit.

My 2016 model did come with the protection pack fitted. Mud flaps front & rear, boot liner and cargo net, rubber over-mats and rear bumper plate.

I ordered the protection pack for my 2019 model but didn't spot that the pack had changed to include only the boot liner and (rather randomly!) illuminated scuff plates (door sills). dk.gif

That said the illuminated scuff plates are rather smart :thumbsup:

There were a number of errors in the online specifications namely, AHS & 10-way seats,The former has now been removed but the later persists The Takumi pack is still incorrectly detailed and there still isn't an updated brochure..

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

I spoke with the Lexus product team and they advised me that the mud flaps for the pre-2019 model will not fit the new model. 

I can see that the lower profile on the rear wheel arch is different from my previous model but the fronts appear the same but Lexus were adamant  they wouldn't fit.

I've been told the same, and am waiting to hear when the new ones will be available - which, alas, will certainly not be in time for the delivery of my own

new car within the next two weeks or so.  The dealer was not convinced the front flaps wouldn't fit, but since they come in a set with the rears, the thought

was in any case academic.

• 3 weeks later...

My new purchase was driven straight to a wrapping company less than a mile from the showroom for ceramic coating and PPF. However I'm still keen to get mudguards fitted long term, but at least he sill, doors and rear section will have some debris protection in poor weather.  Brand new car but can't drive it for a week..😂

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yes a definite disappointment not to have mud flaps available for the new car. I found the ones on my previous RC pretty good. I have got PPF on vulnerable areas of the bodywork but this just protects the paint from damage, not filth from a wet road.....  I put my frustrations to Lexus uk anyway.

8 minutes ago, R07ARY said:

I put my frustrations to Lexus uk anyway.

You and me both ...

Lexus couldn't even say if mud flaps will be available at some point in the future ..

That said they still haven't produced a UK brochure for the 2019 RC300h !!

• 3 months later...

Recent damp weather combined with dirty road surfaces after several rain-free weeks is making me seriously yearn for mud-flaps.  There is  

no news regarding their future availability for the 2019 RC in Italy and I have been told the same by dealers in CH and F.   Is there any news

in the UK?                                                                   

Ditto.. My car is getting seriously grubby even on the shortest of trips! 

I am really amazed at how the front wheel fling up so much muck on to the sides, equally bad on the rear.

My dealer has said there is no plans to provide mud flaps for the 2019 model. I still can't see why the flaps from a pre-fcelift can't be fitted to the fronts at least but no, dealer says they will not fit.

6 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

I am really amazed at how the front wheel fling up so much muck on to the sides, equally bad on the rear. ....

So am I.  Were I to have started this thread in relation to the 2019 model I would have called it All-Over Filth.   I don’t recall the 2016 model’s front tyres throwing up as much dirt before the mud-flaps were fitted, and I can only explain the difference in terms of the changed aerodynamics, minor as they are.

• Like 1