Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Nextbase Dash Cam - hard wired

HI all

Has anyone any experience of having a Nextbase Dash Cam hardwired?  There looks to be two options; wiring into the interior lights above the mirror or wiring into the fuse box.  I'm thinking of buying the Nextbase hard wiring kit to do this. 

I'd be fairly confident doing it myself in any other car but the trim on the Lexus is so well fitted that I don't want to risk damaging it. So the next question is should I use Lexus Nottingham (or another Lexus dealer) or an independent.  Does anyone have any experience of Lexus and their charges for this or is there a good independent that anybody could recommend. Thanks

Not sure of the make of my dash-cam, Chinese off eBay.  I wired it in myself, my car is an IS250 convertible.

Get yourself a set of trim removal tools, they are essential to avoid scarring your trim.

I tucked the cable from the camera into the lining above the windscreen, down the passenger A pillar, along under the sill scuff plate, under the passenger seat and connected with the 12v socket in the under armrest storage box.  Works a treat with no visible cables.

12 hours ago, Glover said:

HI all

Has anyone any experience of having a Nextbase Dash Cam hardwired?  There looks to be two options; wiring into the interior lights above the mirror or wiring into the fuse box.  I'm thinking of buying the Nextbase hard wiring kit to do this. 

I'd be fairly confident doing it myself in any other car but the trim on the Lexus is so well fitted that I don't want to risk damaging it. So the next question is should I use Lexus Nottingham (or another Lexus dealer) or an independent.  Does anyone have any experience of Lexus and their charges for this or is there a good independent that anybody could recommend. Thanks

I just fed the wire up across and down, gently pushing it behind the trim then down and across under the floor mat.

It's exposed for about 3 inches and the top and side.

I was careful not to inhibit the deployment of the side airbag cover...

Cost nil, time, 10-15 minutes...

Looks fine to me...

Hi all

Thanks for the very useful replies.  Not sure if I fancy doing it myself; I think it's just the fit and finish of Lexus is so good that I don't want to end up damaging it.  I'm not a complete novice; I've changed discs, brake pads, fitted in car entertainment, replaced winder motors, carried out services etc. in the past on a range of cars but I've always worked on simpler and cheaper cars so have been fairly confident.  The Lexus is a completely different beast!

I'm thinking of asking whoever does it to use the Nextbase hard wiring kit https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=nextbase+wiring+kit&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=101433667094&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1967671626117968901&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046398&hvtargid=kwd-153489230670&ref=pd_sl_b6gd6u5h0_b

Given the Lexus price quoted in Sorcerer's thread if anyone knows of a good electrical fitter in the Nottingham area that would be really useful too!

Thanks

I fitted a next base to my gs450h. I bought the hardware kit which basically has a double fuse setup push fitting into the existing cigarette lighter /interior light fuse socket. Only thing I found is that the new fuse holder is quite big and meant I could not put the fuse box cover back on afterwards. The other Earth wire just needs connecting to a convenient nearby nut or screw of which there seem to be a few under the dash. I've not looked at the RX yet so don't know if space is as tight. The wires tuck easily behind the roof and A-pillar trim with no real force so very unlikely to do any damage.

as has been mentioned, its a 10 minute job to fit.

i intend to buy another for m RX shortly so I guess I'll be finding out.

Thanks Carl.  Gives me a bit more confidence:-)  I'll buy the hard wire kit then have a go; if I get stuck I'll speak to my friendly auto electrician!

If you're a member at Costco they quite often have the Nextbase at a good price.