Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Door Mirror Glass Repacement

To cut a rather long story short yesterday I had what I will call an altercation with a motor cyclist that resulted in damage to my drivers side door mirror.

I know this question has been asked many times before but other than getting a proper replacement mirror panel from Lexus is there a viable alternative to the naff stick on replacement glasses.

I thought I had a spare door mirror unit with good glass but sadly when removing the panel using the cloth trick I must have damaged the glass so now need a replacement.

Any tips appreciated.

You have several choices, the most expensive is a new mirror from Lexus at around £230.00.... maybe not!

Sods law there is a genuine used one on eBay for the passenger side for £35.00.

Personally I would fit one of those cheap stick on versions over the existing one for now, OK they look naff and won't be fully functional re heated but it will do the job and make you road legal until a genuine one pops up at a reasonable price (there's some silly money being asked these days by some sellers).

Bear in mind that there are 2 different types of complete mirrors if you chose to replace the whole thing and not just the glass.

When I bought mine early this year it had a very dark nearside mirror, I bought one from a breakers which turned out not to have the original glass so that went back. I then bought a stick on one for £9 but managed to get the black edging to cover it so it looks fine.  It still heats up, just takes slightly longer but not much. It's a bit dirty today but this is it in place. And obviously it isn't self dimming but better than the £250 I was quoted for a genuine replacement.

IMG_20161220_105503519.jpg

• Like 1

I had the same problem on my 97/400 the whole mirror was damaged works and all, I went local lexus for info, they tried to find one for me but nothing available in the U.K.  so the next step was Lexus in Japan, as my car was a 97 model they had to make a new one, because of the age they had finished that style anyway they made one for me and sent it to lexus in E.Port ----cost £400  a bit expensive but who cares.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The-Acre said:

When I bought mine early this year it had a very dark nearside mirror, I bought one from a breakers which turned out not to have the original glass so that went back. I then bought a stick on one for £9 but managed to get the black edging to cover it so it looks fine.  It still heats up, just takes slightly longer but not much. It's a bit dirty today but this is it in place. And obviously it isn't self dimming but better than the £250 I was quoted for a genuine replacement.

IMG_20161220_105503519.jpg

Thanks for the replies chaps. The replacement I fitted from a spare mirror I had is not too bad as it is only cracked in two places and really only noticeable from certain angles. When it gets too bad I will try a stick on replacement that I found on eBay, says it's heated too.

• Like 1

If it is any help, I did a post on fitting a replacement mirror glass (LS400 Mk 3 Replacement Mirror Glass, September 13 2014). This involved replacing the original glass with a heated eBay mirror glass which I had bought and the glass was replaced rather than the new glass being stuck on top of the old one.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got round to replacing my broken door mirror, turned out the replacement was faulty as it did not heat up then I damaged the glass on the final fitting.

Ordered some replacement glass from that nice bloke on eBay and replaced with a non heated plain replacement glass stuck over one layer of the original glass. This works fine and even heats up ok it just does not dim. I can now see why a replacement is over £200.

In the fitting process would you believe I have lost the lower tabs that secure the glass unit at the bottom, so now need to know if anyone has a fix for securing the bottom of the glass unit where the tabs are broken. A bit miffed as I was soooo careful! Have used some Gorilla duct tape where the tabs have broken to secure it at present but I doubt it will no hold up for ever

Thanks chaps

• 4 weeks later...
On Fri Jan 13 2017 at 0:37 PM, Keith Bowler said:

Finally got round to replacing my broken door mirror, turned out the replacement was faulty as it did not heat up then I damaged the glass on the final fitting.

Ordered some replacement glass from that nice bloke on Ebay and replaced with a non heated plain replacement glass stuck over one layer of the original glass. This works fine and even heats up ok it just does not dim. I can now see why a replacement is over £200.

In the fitting process would you believe I have lost the lower tabs that secure the glass unit at the bottom, so now need to know if anyone has a fix for securing the bottom of the glass unit where the tabs are broken. A bit miffed as I was soooo careful! Have used some Gorilla duct tape where the tabs have broken to secure it at present but I doubt it will no hold up for ever

Thanks chaps

Can you tell me what company you used for your mirror replacement 

Hi Les

I believe it was Car Parts Market who trade on eBay.

The glass is not OEM and I remain to be convinced that the wide angle section of the glass is any different from the remainder.

That said, if you can get your existing glass to delaminate leaving the lower layer with its heating element connections etc in tact, the replacement self adhesive glass fits snugly in the existing plastic surround and demists as normal, you just don't get the night time dimming effect when car headlights behind you are picked up in the mirror.

If you really want to achieve the dimming effect you could put some very light window tilting film over the replacement glass before you fit it.

Mirrors oh boy what a dilemma 1st on my rx anti glare is not working so can't see at night, ok so much looking around find eBay has a direct replacement  30 quid for the pair . They arrive excited to say the least l start by breaking the drivers side oops ok so these new ones gotta fit . Mmmm 1 hr  mmmm 2hr mmmmm choice words phone lexus man said 200 quid a side so the nice ones on eBay showing fit luggs and say direct replacement not fit for purpose. 

Go to Halfords they say try Summit mirrors on line ordered correct ones they arrive these are wrong  they are convexed  mine are Flamin flatish. Spent a couple of hrs in a darkened room with ice pack on my neck viens. Not to mention the 4 sets of reversing bulbs I've been trying .

Thanks for listening  phew 

• Like 1

With regard to this subject,reading the experiences of other members I on the purchase of my Mark 4 set out a course to buy two replacement mirrors, not just the glass, the whole unit,something I did on my Mark1 ,glass was used eventually.

This exercise took a couple of months I put an alert on my eBay account for said mirrors and eventually I bought them both for a total amount of £60,they are not the colour of my car in fact they are different colours but that is not a problem and I can canibalise the parts as needed .

In the event they are not yet needed but its nice to have them  when a new replacement is around £700

• Like 1