Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi All,

So having seen a number of isf's from the good to the not so good it's nearing decision time.

Option 1 - 09 ISF with flsh, 100k on the clock, 6 previous owners for around 15k

Option 2 - 08 ISF with flsh, 78k on the clock, 2 previous owners for around 18k

Both have no immediate need for the usual tyres and breaks and both are the same colour in comparable condition with Option 2 being slightly tidier all round (no bolster wear etc, minimum stone chips etc)

I average around 8k miles a year

The highest I can budget is around the 17-18k mark for outright purchase.

Any advice much appreciated........

Hi,

There seems to be a few options on AT, two silver ones at £19k with only 43,000/35,000 miles and a grey one with 44,000. Have you been to see these? Would've thought you could get one of these within your budget.

I had a similar decision to make back in February, silver one with 106,000 miles or grey one with 63,000 miles. Although I had every faith in the silver car and robustness of the engine, I was concerned when it came to re-sale that a car with over 100k would be harder to sell.  I went for Option 2!

I only cover 6,000 miles a year so was happy that when the time comes to sell the car would still have low mileage for its age.

Mark.

Mark, thanks for the reply.

I too am torn in my decision making but I'd be lying if I didn't say the mileage is an issue for me (for potential resale value only)

I'm also keen on a full Lexus service history again solely from a resale point of view.

I'm waiting to here back regarding both silver ones on AT as I type so we shall see, the grey one I fired across an email and call too but never heard anything back from.......

I'm happy to wait and see what's about in the new year but I've never seen this many isfs available at once

Cheers

Sai

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

That's a shame they're not prepared to negotiate, seems a bit daft considering the time of year. If you're only doing 8,000 miles a year that one would stay under the 100,000 for 7 years or so which is a nice thought for re-sale. Mine is at 68,000 and hopefully will stay under for 4/5 years. People don't tend to hold onto the ISF for too long, so 5 owners is a little high but wouldn't put me off.

Yes a little crazy given cash buyer and time of year.....not sure on the service history either as they didn't have it to hand.

I've got a few other options available with owners on this forum which is nice so just weighing everything up prior to pulling the trigger.

I've had my Skyline 350gt for 6+ yrs and at lucky enough to get a new "practical" Honda every 10 months through family so although I intend to keep the isf for a fair amount of time I do need to consider potential resale value [emoji106]

Hold out. I sold mine wih 68k on it for just over 18k. It was immaculate! Always buy based on history and condition not mileage (within reason). I would always go for the lower mileage one but with the examples you have if both are identicle condition and history the 08 car is not worth 3k more. 

Hold out. I sold mine wih 68k on it for just over 18k. It was immaculate! Always buy based on history and condition not mileage (within reason). I would always go for the lower mileage one but with the examples you have if both are identicle condition and history the 08 car is not worth 3k more. 

I do agree with the point you're making of not getting too hung up on mileage and as others have mentioned number of owners.

Having been back to see the 09 100k one I'd also have to agree that the 08 one is not worth the 3k more.......

I'm happy to wait but missed out on one a few weeks ago that was the perfect balance for me in terms of condition, price, mileage etc, with so many (in isf terms) within the whole spectrum of my price range for sale at the moment it seems like a good time to buy.

Generally I would avoid cars with many previous owners, especially if the mileage per owner is low, as this raises suspicions for something going wrong with the car that is difficult to identify on first inspection

Hi, I bought my 100k mile F a couple of months ago and you shouldn't be put off a higher mileage example. It feels rock solid with no rattles or woolly steering etc.

Buy on condition and spend £300 on an inspection for peace of mind, then get on with enjoying an amazing car!

Good luck.

Hi,

As others have said, higher mileage isn't necessarily a cause for any real concern provided the car has the complete service history to back it up.

Mine is still relatively low at close to 60K, but there are plenty of examples out there with close to double my mileage in good health.

I've seen newer cars with low miles on cheap budget tires! :wallbash:

You need to keep an open mind and assess each car on it's own individual merits.

Best of luck with your search though, and if you have any questions, fire away.

Cheers.

Pete :smile:

• Like 1

I've seen a total of 5 isfs now, when I initially started looking I was hoping for a silver/white ISF with around 60-80k on the clock.

All of the isfs I've looked at have either been higher mileage examples or much lower.......

I agree though nothing worse than finding an expensive/new/performance car with corners cut on basic maintenance and tyres [emoji107]

On 24/12/2016 at 7:03 PM, talaipwros said:

Generally I would avoid cars with many previous owners, especially if the mileage per owner is low, as this raises suspicions for something going wrong with the car that is difficult to identify on first inspection

I'm not sure I would agree. With a car like this and similar type vehicles people like to own for a couple of years and sell on simply to scratch an itch. I did similar with a 135i and have seen the same with M3's etc...most of these vehicles are actually cherished and very well looked after although i will concede that some will be ragged to within an inch of their life.  

A Full service history and loads of paperwork is far more important.

1 minute ago, doog442 said:

I'm not sure I would agree. With a car like this and similar type vehicles people like to own for a couple of years and sell on simply to scratch an itch. I did similar with a 135i and have seen the same with M3's etc...most of these vehicles are actually cherished and very well looked after.  

A Full service history is far more important.

fair point.

Nevertheless I would consider 6 previous owners since 2009 - Option 1 - 09 ISF with flsh, 100k on the clock, 6 previous owners for around 15k  - a bit excessive and suspicious

From what I've seen so far the isf has (in general) a higher turnover of owners than most performance cars I've owned and looked at.

As long as ownership balances out, for me I personally find one owner per year excessive however as others have said will be going by overall condition, service history etc

A high turnover of owners is to be expected on performance cars as some people don't do their research and then get annoyed at running costs and fuel economy. 

I bought my ISF based on condition and service history rather than mileage but I just happened to end up buying one that was on low miles for its age.

Now that I'm selling after having owned it for only 11 months it will probably but some prospective buyers off but the service history and condition back the car up. 

The replacement, a Mitsubishi Evo X, has a fair few previous owners in comparison especially given the age and mileage but the condition and the service history prove it's a kosher car. The receipts for nearly £20k in mods also help!