Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

After Market Daytime Running Lights

Boddney

Hi, I just fitted some aftermarket DRLs to my 2002 GS300. I fitted them at the correct height and width apart and they have the added facility to flash orange when the indicator is operated. I thought this would be a good feature as the modern day lights with the indicators in the headlights are hard to see in my opinion.

I have just taken the car for it's MOT and the tester asked me to disconnect the indicator feature as when it is operated, the white light goes off for the the orange light to come on.

So just to clarify, the light is white when driving normally and when the indicator is switched on the light sequence is white-orange-white-orange etc. The standard indicator works as it should.

The tester said you are not allowed a flashing white light on the front of a vehicle but I argued that it was a flashing orange light. In actual fact it is a flashing orange and white light. 

Mind you he did not comment on the real failure point in that the DRLs did not dip or go off when the headlights where switched on.

Any help from from traffic cops or other testers would be great.

Thanks,

P.S here is a little video of the same lights fitted to my Sons Yaris.

Bod

IMG_0019.mp4

Well, to be honest, I can see why having a light that flashes white might be a problem.  Although, I have to admit, I have not seen DRL's do that before.

Incidentally, is there a reason you fitted the lights?  I admit I do wonder how useful using lights in daytime is.

The reason really is that my my son is about to start driving so I wanted him to be as safe as possible and be seen as much as possible especially when turning. I liked the look it gave his Yaris so popped a pair on mine which raises the old look of the car a little.

The reason really is that my my son is about to start driving so I wanted him to be as safe as possible and be seen as much as possible especially when turning. I liked the look it gave his Yaris so popped a pair on mine which raises the old look of the car a little.

OH WOW. SOMEONE PLEASE DELETE ALL MY DUPLICATES.

1 hour ago, Boddney said:

OH WOW. SOMEONE PLEASE DELETE ALL MY DUPLICATES.

I have removed the duplicated posts. Some times posting is slow but only hit the enter button once as it counts each time you hit enter and posts accordingly. Have a great Christmas Mike.

• Like 1

My box of bits has no instructions or any such thing on the box except for the wiring diagram.

Ive looked all over the tinterweb and can't find anything except laymans opinions.

I'm going to leave them connected until I can find a Police Traffic Officer 👮 (or he finds me).

I'm going to pop the original question into the GS room as it has more post traffic. If that's not allowed Admin, feel free to remove it.

Thanks,

Bod.

• 2 weeks later...

Drls should go to dip mode when lights are on. Not seen them fitted to the indicators, i would say illegal as they are. They are not like the modern headlights

fitted to higher end vehicles. In that the indicators go to orange from white then back again. As they are so low i would wire them up to low beam,

and not the indicator. So running as drl on start up, and dipped when light on dipped beam.

I think keith has a valid point - on some new vehicles i have noticed the DRL either switches off or goes dim when the indicator is used - erhaps the reason behind this is the issue raised by your mechanic

11 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

I think keith has a valid point - on some new vehicles i have noticed the DRL either switches off or goes dim when the indicator is used - erhaps the reason behind this is the issue raised by your mechanic

I have run with ring drls 3 wires Live & Negative and a side light or dipped beam wire. Drls come on when engine starts but go off completely when lights are applied.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the flashing white light is a bit of a problem. 

The DRL's on my RX are separate from the indicator bulb. My DRL's don't dim when the indicators are on. I think the dimming thing is more a feature of car manufacturers choosing to wire the bulbs in series which would cause them to go dim when the indicator bulb is on rather than wiring them in parallel. 

I think the main thing would be to disconnect the indicator feature on the DRLs. If they're a constant white light, I think that should be fine and you should have no issues with the police. 

I definitely think that DRLs are safer, especially in mucky weather.

• 5 months later...

I had a few comments about the flashing white light so changed tack and wired the indicator function to the headlights so they have a nice orange glow when the headlights are on thus killing two issues with one fix. Good or not?

IMG_0153.JPG

IMG_0154.JPG

• Like 1