Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello and Merry Christmas to you all.

Season greetings.....Do any of you know of a jump starter powerful enough to start an Ls400 from flat.. Its only to carry with me in case of an emergency... If so where could I get one from, and what approx. would be the cost............. All the very best Roy.

Hi Roy, merry Xmas to you and all members.

i bought a jump start from machine mart, about 2 years ago, which copes with cars of this size, and have used it before I replaced the Battery. I think the cost was about £90. However I think you will find there are some good alternative smaller options on eBay, mine is rather heavy duty, and heavy. They are universal for all sizes and types of requirements, with adaptors to suit. They are of course Chinese made, and seem to be good value. Have not tried one myself but I know others who have and they have worked ok. Just make sure you get one with the right spec.

Cheers, Roger

• Like 1

I've just bought this one which has excellent reviews. I've only had it about three weeks and not needed it yet but it was personally recommended by a mechanic friend who also has one and reckons it's brilliant.

EDIT: Forgot to say that it's suitable for petrol cars of up to 5L and diesel up to 3L

Hi Roy the one that has been added after mine is the one I would go for. Machine mart did 2 models and the one I got is the heavy duty one, but technology has come on and I would go for a much smaller one now.

rgds,

Roger

Hi royzels

I purchased a  suoaki jump pack from amazon around this time last year, will start a car up to 6 litre. and I can confirm that it works I charged the pack last year when purchased (just topped it up really)  since then it has started my 400 at least 4 times my neighbours car 4 or 5 times, all without recharging the unit.

last used this morning as I hadn't used the car for a couple of days, and last time used had rear demister, air con, heated seats, lights and wipers on so even with nearly new Battery still get high drain from Battery.

So impressed with this jump pack (actually it is a car starter and does not put any charge into the Battery, only starts the car) that I purchased a second one for my commercial vehicle, and yes it starts diesel engines also.

Great little addition to the clutter in your boot.

And hope everyone had a great christmas and a happy new year to all.

Jim

I bought this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/900-900A-Car-Battery-Booster-Jumper-Jump-Starter-Power-Pack-12v-air-compressor-/371753867638?hash=item568e41d976:m:mgtJ_G1S3DlgNj38q1ZHrog which also has a compressor which works really well. The couple of times we have used it it has worked brilliant coping with the LS400 with no problem. We charge it after every use and it holds the charge without any problems.

I would like to get one of these for emergencies but still a bit doubtful as to how good they are-I've seen a lot of reviews on YouTube and most were good but also a few dodgy reviews. I was looking in Halfords today and all of the "large" jump starters only do up to 3 litres so I still can't get my head around how such a tiny charger can jump start a 4 litre car??  I've had to call out the AA twice over the last 3 years for a flat Battery, once for my Lexus and once for my Cadillac (4.9L) and on both occasions they initially brought out their big charger and it didn't stand a chance of starting either engine. When they put jump leads onto their engine they both jumped to life immediately-so even their professional charger couldn't start the engine.  Will be interested to see how other people may get on with these small chargers.

Hi Andy I bought a heavy duty jump starter, up to 5 litres , from machine Mart, as reported in this post . I have used it about 3 times on a completely flat Battery , and performed well. I keep it fully charged, but unlike many of these new smaller ones it is heavy.

i subsequently changed the Battery and not used it since, but is handy for powering a compressor to inflate the tyres, plus I know it is there in a emergency.

machine mart only did 2 models, the one like you saw in Halfords ,

plus the heavy duty , which I bought .

cheers

Roger

Andy

Believe me the little jump starters on eBay and amazon do indeed start my ls400 with ease. not once but several times on the same charge and also my neighbours astra a couple of times.

The one I have in the lexus in fact both of them came with the adapter to charge the unit, adapters to charge phone batteries and laptop, comes in a neat zip case about 8 inches x 4" x 4"  takes around 2 to 3 minutes to open bonnet fit/start/pack away, job done.

I looked at the bulky ones from various places but didn't want it flying around in the boot, the little one I keep in the zip case and the box it was delivered in nice and neat.

I've got one of these amazon link and no longer use my big old jump starter/compressor. The anker sits in its case in a bag in the boot of my car, taking up hardly any room at all.....unlike the old unit which created a bit of a issue with suitcases in my boot, which was a right pain! I can vouch for the ankers ability, as it's sorted out my 2.2 diesel car and van on a few occasions without needing recharging. By the way Anker offer incredible customer service, which I discovered when another Battery pack from them (for my dash cam) seemed faulty, and anker sent out another without question.

I have now been reassured by the comments on here and will definitely buy one as they do sound brilliant ( I just wasn't too convinced from comments from random people on YouTube). Will  go for the Britpart DA1239 that Shirish recommended as it looks really good quality.

The Battery clamps do feel slightly flimsy however this is quite common from what I've seen.  I've circumvented this by fitting these 'comfort' connectors which attach to the Battery poles semi -permanently, allowing you to connect the starter unit when needed.

http://www.antigravitybatteries-uk.co.uk/accessories/AG-MSHK-10.html