Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hunting for a GS 450H

Farqui

@Shahpor, ah are these shocks known to leak from the top? Is that still in the wheel well or under the plastic panels in the engine bay?

@doog442, I'll call the service manager in the morning and see what the real story is here. I do hope they weren't trying to fleece me for 2 new shox and an extra TPMS sensor.

I was encouraged that they offered to weld the leaky zoorst rather than simply order an expensive replacement. £150 maybe a bit steep but maybe not if the part is removed to weld.

• Like 2

Did they price up for the other "stuff" they found ? 

I must admit I was surprised they offered to weld the exhaust when the normal Lexus stance is replacement. If they do both welds for £150 I would probably take it unless you know of someone who can do it.  

I wonder if they ever thought you would jack the beast up and get under it ..obviously not :wink3:

Can you clarify 'both welds'?

Yeah, they'll probably be surprised to hear that one of their customers uses a jack :D

They priced up the shox and to reseat both front TPMS valves. Not the brake pipe tho.

The top of the lower spring perch's are dry too.

The dealer's service tech claims there is corrosion under the spring seats (true) and oil is leaking (false).  

So why did they say they report that the shocks were leaking?

They offered to take a video and show me...haha yeah right, no doubt they douse the dampers first.

I've sent my own pic's over to them now, will see what they come back with.

20170203_130817.jpg

20170203_130642.jpg

I think it might be a little bit of a stretch to say they douse them with oil. :smile:

It is a shame you didn't get the video though, it would have been interesting to see.

They do look fine, although are they different brands?  One looks like it has been changed much more recently then the other.

They now claim that they aren't leaking under the spring seat, instead it's by the bracket holding the brake hose which often appears very slight before going into a full leak.

I've educated them them that it's a bracket for the ABS sensor and not the flexi-brake line.  

I'll take a look myself (again) when I can be bothered.

Good spot re: the different labels on the dampers.  I know one of the earlier MOT's flagged an issue, so perhaps it was changed then?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shahpor said:

I think it might be a little bit of a stretch to say they douse them with oil. :smile:

It used to be common in the trade,.

Didn't you accuse me of paranoia when I advised someone to mark their oil filter before a service at a main dealer?  You need to fess up pal, this isnt a back street garage (Your words)...its far worse. 

• Like 1

I did, but I do think that there is a difference between not changing a filter because of laziness/neglect, and deliberately making a working part look like it had failed.

Also, why would the technician do it?  A back street garage might do it to make money, but the main dealer technician wouldn't personally benefit from it.

No one knows the reasons, we can only speculate as to why this sort of thing happens in main dealerships but it does. Servicing departments have their own budgets, they have targets to meet and managers and staff will be under pressure to meet those targets I assume. That aside and more importantly for the OP, unless the dealer can come back with a proper diagnosis then the OP would have lost all trust in that particular dealership. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

I have been following this thread with interest. Excuse my ignorance but what is OP?

Original Poster ??

It used to be the accepted convention that where abbreviations are to be used in  a following text, that the first time it is used it is put in brackets immediately following the word/phrase. e.g.OrIginal Poster (OP).

Alas, not followed much these days.....and why do people use "of" when they mean "have" ?

Read "Eats Shoots and Leaves"  by Lynn Truss for other examples of disappearing standards..

Regards

John

Thanks! I tried the urban dictionary, but no joy. I am not a grammatical zealot, but I do take your point. "Could of, should of "are common errors but as long as people know what the meaning is meant to be, then that is the main thing. Spelling errors are common on the BBC website - typos mainly, as they are under pressure to get content out quickly and no longer have time to proof-read their work. 

I still feel it is a shame that we judge people too readily by their written English. Note that I used the correct too!

• Like 2

Yes OP means original post or original poster,  I've never heard of this alleged 'accepted convention' but there appears little point in using an abbreviation then writing it out in full afterwards as that kind of defeats the object.

OP can also be a useful term or abbreviation when a thread is suddenly diverted wildly off topic by a pedant for example and we forget the topic / subject in question :wink3:

2 hours ago, doog442 said:

OP can also be a useful term or abbreviation when a thread is suddenly diverted wildly off topic by a pedant for example and we forget the topic / subject in question :wink3:

As if anyone would do that! :tongue::smile:

I think what John means, and I am sure he will correct me if I am wrong, is that the accepted convention used to be to use the full phrase/word with the abbreviation the first time you use it, and then continue on with just the abbreviation from then on.

That is how we used to do it in school back in the good old days anyway. :smile:

9 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

As if anyone would do that! :tongue::smile:

I think what John means, and I am sure he will correct me if I am wrong, is that the accepted convention used to be to use the full phrase/word with the abbreviation the first time you use it, and then continue on with just the abbreviation from then on.

That is how we used to do it in school back in the good old days anyway. :smile:

Spot on Shahpor ! The maintenance of standards in my view minimises the opportunity for doubts or misunderstandings.

Sadly, an increasing number of the population does not agree. Ah well !

Regards

John

1 hour ago, Shahpor said:

he will correct me if I am wrong, is that the accepted convention used to be to use the full phrase/word with the abbreviation the first time you use it, and then continue on with just the abbreviation from then on.

You and John better keep clear of the latest Scrabble dictionary as you'll have kittens LOL ...(er thats Laughing out Loud for you John) :whistling:

:wink:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doog442 said:

You and John better keep clear of the latest Scrabble dictionary as you'll have kittens LOL ...(er thats Laughing out Loud for you John) :whistling:

:wink:

Thanks Doog. My wife is currently 4576 games ahead of me !:):):)

Regards

John

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

I refuse to ask what GS stands for!

David, if you mean as in  GS 450h, then it is Grand Sport or Grand Sedan depending upon which of the worldwide Lexus importers one is talking to.

If you do not mean as in  450h, then I am as ignorant as you seem to be. :):):)

Regards

John

• Like 2

Got my car booked in for an inspection at my trusty local mechanic a week on Friday.  From the zoorst leak pic's I took he reckon's it'll be better to chop out the offending rear Y piece and drop in a couple of new bends.  Once up on the ramps we can determine what the best option is, then he can measure up and order what's needed.  I'll also be able to take another closer look at these weeping front shocks.

I've covered a fair few miles in her now and had a good 2hr commute (each way) yesterday to understand how she drives on roads I know well.  I have to say that I'm impressed, the ride is comfy yet firm enough when you need it, it's quiet and comfortable so is everything I'd hoped. 

I'm still trying to adjust to the power and gearbox, not that there's much to do mind you!  Cruising at the legal limit gives 40mpg+ on the read outs but anything more and mpgs drops off, as you'd expect.  But did I read somewhere that over 80mph the eCVT goes into over drive or something? 

• Like 1