Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hunting for a GS 450H

Farqui

20 hours ago, Farqui said:

Just added a pic of the dashcam piggy back fuse inline at post #83

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/110248-hunting-for-a-gs450h/?do=findComment&comment=984345

Not sure if this is just me, but this takes me back to the first post in this thread?

16 hours ago, Shahpor said:

Not sure if this is just me, but this takes me back to the first post in this thread?

I've updated the link and it works in Chrome but not in Tapatalk, pfft.

7 minutes ago, Farqui said:

I've updated the link and it works in Chrome but not in Tapatalk, pfft.

Does not work for me Lee.I use Maxthon browser.

The Tony Banks link does work however.

I will be interested to learn your views on the new exhaust when fitted.Looks, Price, Noise, Quality, Customer Service etc.

Regards

John

Just now, royoftherovers said:

Does not work for me Lee.I use Maxthon browser.

The Tony Banks link does work however.

I will be interested to learn your views on the new exhaust when fitted.Looks, Price, Noise, Quality, Customer Service etc.

Regards

John

Drat, you'll have to scroll back to the see the piggy back fuse pic.

Sure, will do. Tony seemed like a decent chap on the phone and I've heard good things about his team elsewhere, so fingers crossed eh.

• Like 1

On 19/02/2017 at 7:03 PM, Farqui said:

Turns out the passenger footwell has only been blowing cold, making the Mrs unhappy. Before you ask...yes, we tried all options of Dual/modes/temps/etc emoji6.png

So after surfing for solutions I dived in to check the servos

d77abbe687cee0679f12df027e548910.jpg

7fd339f4c983ee053fd5c85731bd4534.jpg

I eventually tracked down the passenger temp control (passenger side) but with the fixing screws out, I couldn't get the servo out emoji19.png

With fading light I decided to button it all back up and went for a quick test drive. What'd'ya know, the passenger footwell is now working!

The only difference is that I taped up the ducting, both sides, to get a good seal from the heater core.

Result.

Tho the sceptic in me reckons it can't be that easy and that I'll be back under the dash before too long. Which is just as well as I have a few screws left over emoji13.png Never finish up a job in the dark!

It's like watching open heart surgery :ohmy:. I'm hoping it all fitted back together again with no bits left over :).

53 minutes ago, ScousePaul said:

It's like watching open heart surgery :ohmy:. I'm hoping it all fitted back together again with no bits left over :).

Hehe, there are just a few bits spare.  

All in the name of saving a few grams!

• Like 1

From the WWW I've confirmed that for my gen 3 heater, the servo plate has to come off to remove the servo's from their drive gears (left hand side of the image).  

heater servo.jpg

Which is a little different from the gen 2 tutorial I was following.

Access is tight under the dash so one of these tiny ratchets turned up this morning, it looks great. http://cpc.farnell.com/rolson-tools/28910/driver-set-offset-ratchet-13pc/dp/TL13684?CMP=TREML007-005http://cpc.farnell.com/rolson-tools/28910/driver-set-offset-ratchet-13pc/dp/TL13684?CMP=TREML007-005

TL13684-40.jpg

I hope to get back to 'open heart surgery' at the weekend, weather permitting.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't get anywhere with the heater on Saturday afternoon, so button it all back up and thought the mode control was roughly working.  Nah, on a 5am commute the other morning clear screen setting kicked in (I didn't test that earlier) and the heater did zip all except vent to the rear seats! For the entire 4hr round trip  :surprise:

At lunchtime I went back to basics and figured out what lever on the heater does what. I also removed the 2 servo's/mounting plate and let them do their thing.  Once I had a grasp of ALL the settings (temp, modes) I set all levers in roughly the right setting, lined the mounting plate to the heater arms (no easy feat), restarted the vehicle and the first test failed :unsure: 

I have noticed that when you turn off the ignition, the servo's sit for a while and then revert to some standby setting.  I think this has been throwing me off so I removed the servo plate, set all levers in roughly the right setting, fired up the ignition and let the servo plate settle.  With the ignition still on, I aligned the mounting plate to the arms for the umpteenth time and gingerly pressed a different mode button...

The first test worked and the servo's didn't bind, try another mode setting and that worked.  Trying not to freak out I carefully went through all the possible combinations and to my delight they all work :yahoo:

The passenger side footwell output is still hopeless tho :wallbash: I think I may know which control needs a slight tweak but then it may just be the way the airflows. Rather than dismantle it all again I reckon I'll buy the mrs a heated blanket/mat or fan to keep her feet warm.

To help align the 7? heater control arms to the servo plate I found one of these cheap endoscope camera's quite helpful to help see around corners http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122076843254 

Oh and this time there are NO spare fixings left over LOL

20170224_134103.jpg

20170224_134256.jpg

• Like 3

Took a drive out to Derbyshire yesterday and found the long descents into Matlock fully charged the Hybrid Battery.

We very rarely get the chance to get regen that high in the flat lands of Linc's.

• Like 1

I'm off to get the exhaust sorted tomorrow, up at Tony Banks Leeds. 

It looks like an hours walk into Leeds town center.  Does anyone know if there is anything else to do up there?  I need a haircut, but that won't take long :rolleyes:

Yesterday I had the...pleasure? exploring Leeds city center whilst my car was left at Tony Banks for a new exhaust.  

To recap the rear section had the usual split and a gaping hole in the OS muffler, so we definitely needed a new rear section.  I knew the middle section had a slight blow and when Tony removed the rear...the middle section decided to snap in two! 

So he spent around 6 hours (elapsed) crafting both sections from stainless.  The cost of a new center section (with cats) was so tempting that I was already half tempted to get the whole lot done and never need consider the exhaust again.

I didn't want any fancy or annoying noise so chose a standard set-up and driving around town you'd struggle to tell this system from OEM.  Under hard acceleration or at dual carriageway/motorway speeds there is a slight increase in noise, which is no bad thing at OEM is really quiet.  The system should quieten down a notch once it's coked up a bit.

I didn't get back to the work shop before the car came off the ramps so I haven't had a close look at the system but from what I can see it looks dandy.

The chaps were helpful and have plenty of varied work coming through the workshop, including a steady number of Lexus.  Overall I'm impressed and wouldn't hesitate to recommend http://www.tonybanks.co.uk 

20170308_132944_HDR.jpg

20170308_132922.jpg

• Like 2

Looking good Lee :thumbsup:

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it set you back?

The exhaust and dampers are the two main worries I have in considering a GS for my next car, so good to see some options for the exhaust at least when it wears out.

• Like 2

I've been trying to adjust my driving style a little and try less coasting to a stop.

Instead when stopping/slowing down i have been gently pressing the brakes to get more regen into the Battery. It seem to be working too, as i now frequently see 9 bars recovered :thumbup1:

In today's sunshine I popped off both NS headlamp covers and the internal moisture has cleared.  Will pop the covers back on in a tick.  Fingers crossed that's all they needed to stay clear.

Oh and the dealer who sold me the car has stumped up for a good portion of the new exhaust, happy days :thumbup:

• Like 2