Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Purchasing a used IS 300H - Longevity of battery

TomDunne

Hi, I am looking at purchasing a used IS 300H 2013/2014 with approx. 60K /75K mileage. Currently driving a 2008 IS 250 with 200K mileage. My  question really relates to the longevity of the Battery or possible mistreatment or whatever. Any IS 300H owners with high mileage wishing to share their thoughts. I do 30K+ per year.

You might find this helpful Tom

Hybrid-related components, including the HV Battery, Battery control module,hybrid control module and inverter with converter, are covered for 8 years/100,000 miles. The HV Battery may have longer coverage under the Emissions Coverage. Refer to your Owner's Warranty Information booklet for details.
Sorry Tom, my error.The above refers to Toyota.
If you purchase from a Lexus dealer,he should provide one year`s warranty at the end of which you should be able to take out an extended warranty, assuming the car is not over 10 years old or has done more than 140,000 miles.As part of the extended warranty you will have the Lexus dealer service the car and he will carry out an annual hybrid Battery health check for free.
Regards
John
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, stormchaser said:

I'm constantly told by Toyota and Lexus that they'll outlast the car. No reported incidents yet(that I know of). My CT battery is 5 years old and 70K. Still 100% healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep it should outlast the car. Some prius taxi have 500k on them on original batteries

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The technology appears to be solid. Someone I used to work with has had a Prius Mk1 from new in 1998 and the Battery is still fine; the car itself has had plenty of other parts replaced over the years but never the Battery. Last time I met him was August last year and by then the car had covered in excess of 230k miles.

A close friend of mine, Paul, works for Transport for London running a garage which carries out the mandatory checks on Private Hire Vehicles (PHVs), most of which are also various versions of the Prius; before that he was an MOT tester and ran a repair shop extensively used by minicab drivers (PHVs). Before I bought my CT I asked him about the same thing you're asking and in the last 16 years that Paul has been working on and around them he's never encountered a failed HV Battery on any Toyota/Lexus unless caused by something else, such as floods or collision damage.

You can expect high mileage versions to have some drop off in performance, but it has to be really seriously bad to have a significant effect upon how the vehicle behaves. 

So yes, they can fail, but it's not common and usually a routine hybrid health check will give plenty of warning of the most common failure modes. You really can expect them to outlast the car.

• Like 3

So, perhaps the moral of the story might be;

1. Buy from a Lexus Dealer with a full Lexus Service Dealer History

2. Continue with that relationship,

3. Take out an Extended Lexus Warranty

4. Enjoy your vehicle

5. Do not tell BMW,AUDI,MERCEDES, Jaguar owners?

Regards

John

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links