Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dash cam.

48 minutes ago, LeeG said:

I hard-wired a USB power converter like this so the accessory socket is still free.

The IS has two USB sockets as standard. Most cameras have a 12v cigar type plug.

11 hours ago, capese21 said:

The IS has two USB sockets as standard. Most cameras have a 12v cigar type plug.

Yes, but I don't think the USB sockets give out enough power for devices.

The camera I have came with standard USB cables (allow pc connection) so the converter I used was the best option.

2 hours ago, LeeG said:

The camera I have came with standard USB cables (allow pc connection)

A dash camera for a PC wow that's a first sounds more like a web cam:w00t:  Car dash cameras tend to be 12v so a USB would not work.

23 minutes ago, capese21 said:

A dash camera for a PC wow that's a first sounds more like a web cam:w00t:  Car dash cameras tend to be 12v so a USB would not work.

:rolleyes:

This is the dash cam.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B012CMUYXQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has a USB micro port for power on the GPS base and one on the camera to allow you to connect it to a PC to download the video files. I remove the SD cards to copy any files.

You are wrong about dash cameras being 12v. Yes, they connect to a 12v supply as that is what the car provides, but you will most likely find that your accessory plug adapter that came with the camera reduces the voltage down to 5v. There is probably a sticker on it showing the power. For anyone piggybacking off a fuse, I do hope you have not just cut the cable from the cigarette plug and wired it straight in. You will eventually kill your dash cam.

5 hours ago, LeeG said:

This is the dash cam.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B012CMUYXQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has a USB micro port for power on the GPS base and one on the camera to allow you to connect it to a PC to download the video files. I remove the SD cards to copy any files.

You are wrong about dash cameras being 12v. Yes, they connect to a 12v supply as that is what the car provides, but you will most likely find that your accessory plug adapter that came with the camera reduces the voltage down to 5v. There is probably a sticker on it showing the power. For anyone piggybacking off a fuse, I do hope you have not just cut the cable from the cigarette plug and wired it straight in. You will eventually kill your dash cam.

I have that^^^^. It was called "Eprance" when I bought mine many years ago. Still going strong, it's moved from car to car.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LeeG said:

For anyone piggybacking off a fuse, I do hope you have not just cut the cable from the cigarette plug and wired it straight in. You will eventually kill your dash cam.

The easy way is to wire a 'trailing' female ciggy socket to the piggy back fuse, and plug the supplied ciggy plug into this.  Then hide this connection either above the fuse box if there's room, or behind fascia/dash trim.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Verbout said:

I never said that ^^^^^ you're misquoting me, its part of LeeG's post. :eek:

My fault for posting from my phone without my glasses on:w00t: I would edit it but it seems locked.

2 hours ago, capese21 said:

My fault for posting from my phone without my glasses on:w00t: I would edit it but it seems locked.

I appreciate that but how did you attribute those words to me in a quote when I never wrote them?

4 minutes ago, Verbout said:

I appreciate that but how did you attribute those words to me in a quote when I never wrote them?

No idea the site did it automatically and then will not let it be edited. :wallbash:

19 hours ago, capese21 said:

I meant they are supplied with a 12v cigar style plug, which most are! I take your point though.

16 hours ago, capese21 said:

Which post are you referring too?

• 4 weeks later...

Whilst I am waiting for the new IS to find it's way from Bristol:wallbash: I had a look at dash-cams in Halfords and PC-World.  Then I had a look at where it would be mounted.  The obvious place is behind the rear-view mirror, but there are little black dots all over that area of the windscreen and a sucker won't stick to it.  Has anyone used a "sticky" mount on that area?  Are the "dots" part of the windscreen? 

Stick some Fablon on the dots. Or, use a 3M sticky pad to fix it permanently. 

I wrote a guide somewhere on these forums, for fitting your own. Check it out, may give you some ideas.

22 minutes ago, Wallace said:

Has anyone used a "sticky" mount on that area?  Are the "dots" part of the windscreen? 

Yes my camera is stuck there with a 3M pad. The dots are bonded to the glass.

I'm a bit late on this thread but the comments about Nextbase are obviously not based on experience.  Nextbase dashcams have been a Which best buy for a number of years; that is a totally independent view based on testing in real life conditions.  But Halfords may not be the best place to buy them price wise.  I bought mine from Costco but still plucking up courage to fit it!.  I'm really worried about damaging the trim, do I need any special tools or is it just a case of gently easing the cable in with my fingers?.

This is what I have.  It's great for pushing the cable in behind trim and it's good for removing bits. Like the internal light lenses so you can replace bulbs with LED.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4pc-Auto-Car-Radio-Door-Clip-Panel-Trim-Dash-Audio-Removal-Installer-Pry-Tool-UK/351570741489?_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226&_trkparms=aid%3D555014%26algo%3DPL.DEF

11 minutes ago, Glover said:

Thanks Steve.  Couldn't believe the price; it's unusual for anything to do with cars being less than a pound or even less than a fiver!

Might take a couple of weeks or so to reach you.....it's from China !  If you search eBay I'm sure you'll find a UK supplier.

17 hours ago, steveledzep said:

Might take a couple of weeks or so to reach you.....it's from China !  If you search eBay I'm sure you'll find a UK supplier.

All that way for 99p.  Can't even get a bus ticket for that!  I noticed a few suppliers so I'll try one of the GB based ones..