Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hybrid System Issue

5 hours ago, Thackeray said:

Does anyone have any ideas why the left one which I assume is the negative has this big plus sign marked on it?

I think the wrong part got in the supply chain or picked incorrectly on the manufacturing line. I've seen pictures of other IS300h Battery compartments where black electrical tape is over this area to cover it up. There may well be a TSB about this - will have to look some time.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

I think the wrong part got in the supply chain or picked incorrectly on the manufacturing line.

Thanks for this. I have a vague memory of someone suggesting that a plus sign on the negative terminal was a hangover from positive earth systems on older classic cars. But it does seem more likely that it's a mistake in the supply chain - I can't think why anyone would make a conscious decision to mislabel the terminal.

• 11 months later...

Thanks to purse3223 who kindly told us the final solution to his Lexus Hybrid stopped working problem.

I had exactly the same problem with my Lexus IS 2017 car after leaving the car in the drive for two weeks. 
l found a you tube video about how to charge the 12 volt Lexus IS Battery and my car started working immediately after charging the Battery.

I hope that will be helpful.

• 3 weeks later...

guys theres a lot of technical info here and Im a little confused....can I just check please?...

a) is there an issue with the 12v Battery draining on the is300h if in close proximity to the key (or any other reason)

b) if I ever need to jump start, do i need to disconnect the Battery first (and would Green Flag know to do this?)

many thanks

as long as the car is driven to maintain the charge in the Battery its not an issue

i am 99% certain that the smart entry system can be turned off this will stop the car

wasting energy searching for the key.

if you ever have to jump start the car you dont need to disconnect the Battery

you can either hook up to the starting tab in the fusebox under the bonnet

please see image from a toyota hybrid showing where the tab is located

or go to the Battery in the boot, under the lip on the boot lid on the left hand side

you will see a keyhole so you can gain access to the Battery just hook up your charged

12v Battery to the flat Battery just like you would do normally

auris fuse box.jpg

31 minutes ago, oraman said:

guys theres a lot of technical info here and Im a little confused....can I just check please?...

a) is there an issue with the 12v battery draining on the is300h if in close proximity to the key (or any other reason)

b) if I ever need to jump start, do i need to disconnect the battery first (and would Green Flag know to do this?)

many thanks

a) No, there's no 'issue' with it other than a design problem that all our hybrids suffer from. Toy/Lex should really have fitted larger 12V batteries but they didn't so we have to live with it and just be aware that if we don't use the car on a regular basis, we have to use other measures such as keeping a trickle charger attached to the Battery or having a small jump start battery pack similar to this one in the boot or glove box.

b) No, you don't need to disconnect the Battery, just like Mark said above.

• Like 1

Regarding the first question, I forgot to say that yes, you can turn off the smart entry system but it doesn't really save much at all. The Battery still has to supply the clock, the radio presets, the alarm and maybe even other systems too.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I would like to follow up on the replacement Battery issue.

I bought a Yuasa HJ-S46B24l[S] Battery, which I found listed by a Dublin Battery wholesale supplier as being the correct Battery for my 2013 IS 300H Premier model.

When I went to fit the new Battery I found that the terminal posts on the new Yuasa Battery are the same as a standard car Battery post. The posts are much bigger than the original Toyota Battery posta, and, of course, the new Battery won't fit into the car.

1058876050_Yuasa12vbatteryedit.thumb.jpg.795f89b66e29dbe25698c27b7d91f2a9.jpg

The new Battery cost €220 and is currently not useable. I wonder whether anyone has any solutions to this ? I have looked on the internet, looking for Battery connector adapters, but I can't find much that will fit onto the original Lexus connectors and will allow connecting to the new bigger posts.

I did come across an item call a "Pencil post adapter", and without major surgery to the cars cables I think that this adapter may be the only option.

The only other choice that I have is to see if I can return the new Battery, and then put the car into the local Toyota dealer and let them fit a new Battery. The problem is that it will probably cost about €400 -€450, which really gets up my nose.

In the old days I would just file down the terminal post until it would fit, but nowadays one might need the warranty and filing down the posts will defeat the warranty.

Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

Parkman.

• 3 weeks later...

I've experienced this problem earlier today, waited for the beep before selecting reverse, only to see hybrid system not working on dashboard. Returned car to park, tried again, and everything was ok. My car frequently does 50 mile round trip commute, and appears to have no other issues at 5 years old and under  40k miles. 

if the supplied Battery wont fit your car and its listed as 

being suitable, i would measure the posts and let them

know what size post you need for the Is300h if they cant 

supply a Battery that suitable then a refund in full would

be in order for you.

22 hours ago, Johnhodgo said:

I've experienced this problem earlier today, waited for the beep before selecting reverse, only to see hybrid system not working on dashboard. Returned car to park, tried again, and everything was ok. My car frequently does 50 mile round trip commute, and appears to have no other issues at 5 years old and under  40k miles. 

We had a similar problem a few weeks ago at 7 years and 50,000 miles. As we were due to be going on a week long road trip, for peace of mind I had a new 12v Battery fitted by Lexus Wolverhampton who charged £125 all in including fitting which I thought reasonable.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links