Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

auto box slow?

muscle750

Ive just bought for my wife a 2000 is200 auto which i knew the owner of the car before i bought it. Ive driven it and i dont know wether its just me but i think thats its hanging onto the gears too long. If you put it in POWER ECT mode it changes abit more quicker . Im a mechanic by trade and apart from that the car drives fine its done 120k . Its returning around 25 MPG and thats driving it normally both on motorway and around town.

One other question is that the previous owner put in a after market radio unit which wasnt connected up when connected it worked fine however there is a small blue light on the unit almost like a standby light on your tele that remains on. Ive no idea what make the new radio is apart from its got built in sat nav Tv  DAB radio the lot infact i would say they prob paid more for the radio than i did for the car lol. There is no lexus amp fitted which is the reason i did wonder why they didnt connect it however ive asked the previous owner and they only had the radio a month after the orginal one gave up. Ive been told that imay have to swap two wires on the back of the power plug on the original wiring of the car, Ive put a circuit tester on all the wires on the plug and it seems ive got two perm lives when i would have thought one should be only switched on when the igntions switched. Without trying another one on the gearbox question i dont know apart from taking it to the local lexus dealer and getting them to tell me the box is bust and quoting me phone numbers to repair it..It goes in all the gears no worries just takes its time in "stretching its legs" . Ive planted my foot and it will get up to 80 no issues and still pulling in reasonable time so the box isnt slipping etc

Hi Andy, welcome to the forum. I can't speak for an IS200 auto but I know my IS300 isn't the swiftest to change up, especially under more rapid acceleration. Perhaps you could try the old favourite disconnect of the Battery for an hour or two to reset the ECU; it should help the gearbox re-learn. Worth doing that before investigating further. I guess you've already checked the level and colour of the ATF?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, grindersrus said:

Hi,  how can I check the level and colour of my automatic gearbox on my is 200 ?

Also is there any workshop manuals available ?

I'm assuming the 200 has a dipstick like the 300; on mine it's up against the bulkhead on the nearside (so to the right of the engine as you look at it). Orange T-shaped top with a clip retaining it.

There is a PDF workshop manual somewhere on this forum I'm sure.