Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New buyer: Lexus GS450h 3rd generation, pre-facelift vs post facelift

4 hours ago, HenryHippo said:

Wow expensive mats. It's facelift I'm seeing tomorrow

Is this the silver one with grey leather - 10 plate - if yes it looks more not in the pictures - I reckon it's been around for at least 3 months - barter ! - I know an identical car sold for 8k

1 hour ago, Shahpor said:

Do you mean the one on autotrader for £8750?  Reg GY10 HNT

For some reason, I can't get the autotrader link working.

I just found my dream car... Search for yours via Auto Trader #DrivenByMe

3 hours ago, Shahpor said:

Do you mean the one on autotrader for £8750?  Reg GY10 HNT

For some reason, I can't get the autotrader link working.

No, it's this one http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201611230018967?radius=1500&postcode=sl14en&seller-type=trade&year-from=2007&model=GS 450H&make=LEXUS&sort=price-asc&maximum-mileage=150000&advertising-location=at_cars&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&page=1

Hopefully that works?

Well, it is up to you, but I wouldn't worry too much about a £40 a year road tax saving.

Both their MOT histories have strange bits.  The blue one (GV08) went 7 months without an MOT in 2014, while the silver one (EO57) had 2 within 5 months in 2010.

The blue one does have the cleaner MOT history though.  Although what is it with GS450h's and tyres?  It seems to come up a lot on MOT's.

Obviously with its lower mileage and less age the blue one seems better, but who can say?

I am of the opinion that you should always buy the best you can afford, but GS450h's are thin on the ground it seems, so you might have to wait if neither of these seem right.

7 hours ago, Shahpor said:

Well, it is up to you, but I wouldn't worry too much about a £40 a year road tax saving.

Both their MOT histories have strange bits.  The blue one (GV08) went 7 months without an MOT in 2014, while the silver one (EO57) had 2 within 5 months in 2010.

The blue one does have the cleaner MOT history though.  Although what is it with GS450h's and tyres?  It seems to come up a lot on MOT's.

Obviously with its lower mileage and less age the blue one seems better, but who can say?

I am of the opinion that you should always buy the best you can afford, but GS450h's are thin on the ground it seems, so you might have to wait if neither of these seem right.

Afford is a pretty subjective term. Sure I can afford to blow a £12k on a car instead of £6k, but I'd rather keep the change and have a few nice holidays

GV08 could have simply forgotten (granted for a long time) about their MOT, as we don't get reminders for those

EO57, 2 MOTs in 5 months is odd though. I wonder what the dealer would say if I brought that up

3 hours ago, HenryHippo said:

Afford is a pretty subjective term. Sure I can afford to blow a £12k on a car instead of £6k, but I'd rather keep the change and have a few nice holidays

GV08 could have simply forgotten (granted for a long time) about their MOT, as we don't get reminders for those

EO57, 2 MOTs in 5 months is odd though. I wonder what the dealer would say if I brought that up

Why not try to speak with their previous immediate owners Jamie and see what information you can glean ?

Regards

John

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

Why not try to speak with their previous immediate owners Jamie and see what information you can glean ?

Regards

John

Forgive my ignorance, but would I need to do a HPI check for that?

Just got back from this car http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201611230018967?radius=1500&postcode=sl14en&seller-type=trade&year-from=2007&model=GS 450H&make=LEXUS&sort=price-asc&maximum-mileage=150000&advertising-location=at_cars&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&page=1&utm_source=LexusOwnersClubUK&utm_medium=ForumLinks?polaAffiliate=isis&utm_source=RoEye&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=HELP&utm_content=Skimbit%2C+Ltd.&utm_term=Performance

£6,950 2008. 72k

My suspcions that she hadn't been well looked after were confirmed. 4 budget tyres (one brand new that the dealer stuck on, whilst the other 3 were well worn). alloys scuffed, a few minor scratches on bodywork, but otherwise bodywork ok.

Front leather armrest a bit scuffed and a few rips in back passenger seat. Doors had scuff marks on interior too. Looked like it had been a family car.

Promised service history (and sunroof) both missing. When pressed the dealer said "he had his mate do it.. we change the oil too before sale". No record of the 2nd MOT test back in 2014 either in the cars paperwork. Today's garage had it at least 6 weeks as I saw an invoice from 1st Dec that they paid for some tyres, so they are struggling to shift it.

That said all the toys worked and the drive was fine. Parking sensors and reverse camera working.

Salesman said he could get the alloys refurbed and a part worn on in place of the worst tyre. No budge on price but I didn't really try as I wouldn't have brought her.

Seeing the next one in 45 mins

5 minutes ago, HenryHippo said:

Forgive my ignorance, but would I need to do a HPI check for that?

I do not believe so Jamie.

The name and address of the previous owner should be on the V5 form (Registration Document) which should be in the possession of the Dealer who is selling the car.

Another source of Dealers would be for you to speak with your local Lexus Dealer and ask him who he passes cars on to which are older or have done more mileage than the Lexus Dealership would wish to sell.

Good luck and Regards

John

19 minutes ago, HenryHippo said:

Just got back from this car http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201611230018967?radius=1500&postcode=sl14en&seller-type=trade&year-from=2007&model=GS 450H&make=LEXUS&sort=price-asc&maximum-mileage=150000&advertising-location=at_cars&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&page=1&utm_source=LexusOwnersClubUK&utm_medium=ForumLinks?polaAffiliate=isis&utm_source=RoEye&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=HELP&utm_content=Skimbit%2C+Ltd.&utm_term=Performance

£6,950 2008. 72k

My suspcions that she hadn't been well looked after were confirmed. 4 budget tyres (one brand new that the dealer stuck on, whilst the other 3 were well worn). Alloys scuffed, a few minor scratches on bodywork, but otherwise bodywork ok.

Front leather armrest a bit scuffed and a few rips in back passenger seat. Doors had scuff marks on interior too. Looked like it had been a family car.

Promised service history (and sunroof) both missing. When pressed the dealer said "he had his mate do it.. we change the oil too before sale". No record of the 2nd MOT test back in 2014 either in the cars paperwork. Today's garage had it at least 6 weeks as I saw an invoice from 1st Dec that they paid for some tyres, so they are struggling to shift it.

That said all the toys worked and the drive was fine. Parking sensors and reverse camera working.

Salesman said he could get the alloys refurbed and a part worn on in place of the worst tyre. No budge on price but I didn't really try as I wouldn't have brought her.

Seeing the next one in 45 mins

I would not have toched that one with a bargepole!

You will know instantly when you see a car which has been treated with respect Jamie.

Regards

John

Regards

John

As you are buying under 10 years old car check/ask for hybrid system check certificate. Lexus is doing it for free with service and it extends warranty for the batteries for an year or 10000miles. That warranty works up to 10 years without mileage limit.

ive also noticed that you are calling those models you are watching face-lifts. Just to be clear all my comments about face lift model were to 2010 and onwards models. In 2008 Lexus done some minor changes only - like mirrors with indicator. 2010 was way bigger with new entertainment system, front grill, and many minor details.

gv08 - I wouldn't even watch this one. Look at the state of front reg plate, I also doubt anyone ever do any work on the leather. There is also quite a lot of wear on the driver seat side. It mean someone was constantly getting in and out of car. Short distance driving isn't too good and I would prefer 120k miles from motorways rather than 70 from school runs :)

ps. What about the mats ? I can bet it got some cheap ones from eBay :) 

You confirmed my thoughts about GV08. Sure does look like she's in need of some TLC.

Keeping looking, once you see a car in person you tend to get a good overall impression pretty quickly. Good luck.

26 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

I am not surprised at that - photos on gravel or muddy lanes are an automatic put off - this ones interior did not look good - the silver facelift one GY10 has been reduced today from £8750 to £7950 

Cheers, still a bit pricey though.

What with a £1.1k warranty to buy and putting aside money for consumables, I think a £8k car would be nearer £10k which is more than I'm willing to spend

2 hours ago, Hangie said:

As you are buying under 10 years old car check/ask for hybrid system check certificate. Lexus is doing it for free with service and it extends warranty for the batteries for an year or 10000miles. That warranty works up to 10 years without mileage limit.

ive also noticed that you are calling those models you are watching face-lifts. Just to be clear all my comments about face lift model were to 2010 and onwards models. In 2008 Lexus done some minor changes only - like mirrors with indicator. 2010 was way bigger with new entertainment system, front grill, and many minor details.

gv08 - I wouldn't even watch this one. Look at the state of front reg plate, I also doubt anyone ever do any work on the leather. There is also quite a lot of wear on the driver seat side. It mean someone was constantly getting in and out of car. Short distance driving isn't too good and I would prefer 120k miles from motorways rather than 70 from school runs :)

ps. What about the mats ? I can bet it got some cheap ones from eBay :) 

I worked out the facelift bit but thanks :)

I'll be getting a warranty for sure

Yeah, given the last owners location it looks like she was a city motor. Rather have motorway mileage on it!

Update

I brought the cheaper of the two cars linked above. Mileage was actually 5k higher than advertised. But I got a fair price I belive

Interior was in much better condition with only the most minor of scratches (less than my own car which is older and similar mileage to be fair). All the toys work. Love the electric rear blind :D

New or very nearly new tyres. Same brand all round (although they were a budget brand). Test drive was good. Pulls like a dream even at 'higher' speeds

Lexus service history on a regular basis from new. Only bad point was last time she was serviced was Feb 15. Only done 6k miles since then. So first thing I will have done is the £100 service. Maybe the £200 one

Refused their part exchange offer as it's about £400 less than I could get privately.

So going forward a few questions:

• How soon do I have to get her to Lexus for their free inspection (that I can take back to the dealer in the event of a serious defect for them to fix) ?
  • Should I buy my 2 year Lexus warranty immediately after the conclusion of the above point?

Thanks

2 hours ago, HenryHippo said:

So going forward a few questions:

• How soon do I have to get her to Lexus for their free inspection (that I can take back to the dealer in the event of a serious defect for them to fix) ?
  • Should I buy my 2 year Lexus warranty immediately after the conclusion of the above point?

Thanks

You bought EO57?  Congrats :thumbsup:

I would get the inspection done as soon as possible.  That way, there is less wiggle room for the seller if they claim the fault occurred after the sale.  The inspection doesn't take very long, so you could hang around and drink their nice coffee while you wait. :smile:

Assuming the car is given the all clear, I don't see why you wouldn't buy the warranty straight away.

45 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

You bought EO57?  Congrats :thumbsup:

I would get the inspection done as soon as possible.  That way, there is less wiggle room for the seller if they claim the fault occurred after the sale.  The inspection doesn't take very long, so you could hang around and drink their nice coffee while you wait. :smile:

Assuming the car is given the all clear, I don't see why you wouldn't buy the warranty straight away.

Yes and thanks!

Soonest I can get it done would be 2 weeks time, hope that isn't too long

Picked her up today. What a machine!

Owners manual is thick enough to be a JK Rowling book, even the condensed manual is bigger than my first car.

Finally get the hang of the handbrake and hybrid system (coming for a manual). Finding myself choosing parking spots a bit more carefully now as she isn't a slim car

Making good use of the 292/ 342 ponnies, the speed does creep up very quickly

One thing I'm struggling with is the locking system.

I lock the car then before walking away I check the doors are locked and they open. I repeated the exercise, but walked away from the car and had someone else try and open it, which didn't work. Presumably the locking doesn't activate until the key is well clear of the vehicle?

Also, can someone please explain why she has a CVT transmission, but I get the choice of 6 gears if I want to drive it manually? I take it these are 6 pre set ratios?

Does it have a trip computer so I can see my MPG ?