Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Snowchain for 2010 RX450h

I am about to drive to the Alps and was looking to find out if anyone has experience in purchasing show chains for the RX450h. Tyre size, 235/55/19. Assume they go on the front. Or has anyone purchased a set of chains and is looking to sell them??

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

Sorry not got a clue on snow chains but would assume they are fitted on the driven wheels and made to fit specific rim/tyre sizes.

There is a member presently selling a set of 18" Lexus wheels complete with snow tyres if these are of any use to you.

Hi

When we had an RX400h a few years ago we bought a pair of snow chains from Cooks Motor Spares in Chesham.  They were very good and served us well on a couple of skiing trips.

The chains should be fitted to the front wheels.

I have tried Googling Cooks Motor Spares and it appears that the shop is now closed but they seem to be trading through amazon.  You could try this link...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=me%3DA1IK8RDYSZD34I&field-keywords=snow+chains 

The RX copes very well in the snow generally without chains but don't forget that Newton's laws of motion still apply when driving 2.5 tons of car downhill on a slippery surface!!!  See my old post at

Good luck!

JBP

PS We now have an RX450h and the old chains seem to fit this OK (despite the 450h's wheels being 19" diameter but different width/tyre wall height) but I only quickly tried them on on the driveway as a matter of interest to see if they were worth keeping.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi J

These were the chains I bought for the 400h. As I said I tried them on the 450h on our driveway at home just to see if they would fit (which they did) but I didn't drive anywhere with them on as there was no snow back in the summer!  So please don't take my word as gospel that they will function properly on a 450h.

When you get your chains I strongly advise you to practice fitting them at home on a dry, sunny, warm day as I can assure you that on a freezing cold snowy night in pitch black darkness with your fingers numb with cold is not the best time to try to fit them for the first time!

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

JBP

IMG_2695.JPG

IMG_2696.JPG