Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

CT200H Advance - Road noise?

paulyuk6

Hi folks, this is my first post here as I have only owned my CT200H Advance for 3 days!

I'm running a 2014 model and notice that when I drive it on motorways, a lot of noise and rumble is being picked up from the road surface. When it drives over a bridge or recently repaired area, the sound changes or fades but never goes away. It is loud enough that I have to boost the radio volume to get a reasonable listening level. The noise starts to become noticeable at speeds over about 50mph and is pretty annoying. It certainly not the smooth elegant silence I would have expected from a luxury brand such as Lexus!

I checked with my supplier (the excellent Lexus Cambridge) who advised me that the low profile tyres may pick up more noise than standard tyres.
So I wondering, if I were to replace the tyres with standard profile ones, would this reduce the road noise? and can I safely do this without causing any other problems?
Also, does anyone offer soundproofing kits that would help reduce noise pickup from the road?

Another thing - has anyone else noticed - that the faster you drive, the less 'stereo' seems to come out of the radio/CD player. When its parked you can clearly hear sounds out of the left and right speakers. But when it is driving along, the sound appears to mainly come from the centre speaker and any left/right stereo signal seems to disappear. Most annoying, and again not what I would expect from a luxury vehicle (it is the standard system, not the enhanced Premier system).

All the best from Cambridge, UK

Paul

here is a company that offers sound proofing kits

http://www.nkgroup.co.uk/

on the audio is the a setting for ASL (auto sound level) if so turn it on.

i had 17" wheels running dunlop sport maxx rt and my 2011 ct was nice and quiet

if you move from low profiles you will have to go to 16" wheels and tyres.

i have noticed the new ct's do seem to suffer from a lot of road noise

or maybe i am used to my 300h

On my CT which has the 16" wheels with higher profile tyres, the road noise is still noticeable. This is principally because the engine noise is less noticeable than a conventional vehicle. Many people find the car to be loud at motorway speeds and complain about the noise during acceleration periods. I personally think that the car is very quiet for a small car. I dont expect big car noise levels. Expecting hi fidelity sound from any moving machine seems to be an unecessary waste of time since vehicles are designed to make a ticking noise when the indicator is left on, beepers to be heard when a fault or speed camera is detected and they are all designed to allow in the sound of other vehicles and their hooters in order to allow the driver to be just that little bit more aware of other road users.

Mine is noisey too on low profiles and I don't like the Goodyears that are on there now. Because the CT is so quiet inside road noise is all that you can hear and your ears picks it up more. When I travel faster my Stereo seems to get louder. I think it's an in built thing and I can't remember the exact name for it. I've got the ML sound system in mine so I guess it's standard with it. If you want to go to a higher profile tyre you'll have to change your wheels to 16" as said. Putting 50 profile tyres on a 17" wheel will put your speedo out quite a way and shouldn't be advised. Sound deadening is a good idea but I don't think it will kill all the noise but will certainly help it. I'm going to search around for better tyres as I feel the Goodyears are certainly harder but being a hybrid car the tyres are reinforced which doesn't help.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

The CT 200h is the quietest car I've owned. Even better since I switched from the oem Yokohama tyres to the Mitchelin Cross Climates. Depends what you are used to I guess. I was in a family members Nissan Micra at the weekend, now that certainly was significantly less refined at motorway speeds!

• Like 1

Mine has  yokies from new and thought manufacturers would stick to more mature brands. Ill change over when needed but thats a long way off. I find the car very quiet only really noticing road noise from 50+ ish. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links