Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Did you know about temporary shift range?

Straight out of manual -

To drive using temporary shift range selection, operate the “-”paddle shift

switch. The shift range can then be selected by operating the “-” and “+”

paddle shift switches. Changing the shift range allows restriction of the

highest gear, preventing unnecessary upshifting and enabling the level of

engine braking force to be selected.

• Like 1

Removes the time taken to kick-down if overtaking? Although here I prefer to use manual mode.

Engine-braking downhill?

I'm not too keen on the uncertainty as to when it automatically decides to revert to using the full gear range though. 

Thanks Stuart.

With regards to the kick down time be reduced, are you thinking along the lines that if the temp max gear is 5th, in a kick down operation where 2nd is required there are less changes than if the gearbox was in 8th? 

I've had this system for a few years, was the same in the IS250, just speedy way of getting a higher gear if overtaking or to slow the car down using gears (if you're not in full manual or sport). Nothing to write home about but it's there for certain situations.

1 minute ago, emjay82 said:

I've had this system for a few years, was the same in the IS250, just speedy way of getting a higher gear if overtaking or to slow the car down using gears (if you're not in full manual or sport). Nothing to write home about but it's there for certain situations.

Hi Mark. What do you mean by 'just speedy way of getting a higher gear'?

I think if you're following traffic at say, 50mph where the car will usually sit in 8th at about 1300rpm, and want to overtake, it speeds things up. 

Without preselecting the other, lower gear, you start to pull out, mash the throttle and the gearbox changes from 8th to 7th, to 4th and off you go. 

If you restrict the max gear to 4th before you go, you're already in the correct gear. 

Its also handy for mountainous roads, as mentioned, to stop the gearbox hunting; I just wish it could be a permanent change and didn't revert to normal after about a minute. 

6 minutes ago, mrfunex said:

I think if you're following traffic at say, 50mph where the car will usually sit in 8th at about 1300rpm, and want to overtake, it speeds things up. 

Without preselecting the other, lower gear, you start to pull out, mash the throttle and the gearbox changes from 8th to 7th, to 4th and off you go. 

If you restrict the max gear to 4th before you go, you're already in the correct gear. 

Its also handy for mountainous roads, as mentioned, to stop the gearbox hunting; I just wish it could be a permanent change and didn't revert to normal after about a minute. 

Totally agree. If you could limit it to fifth until you tell it otherwise, that would be great. Also, if it is only enabled for 60 seconds, it seems pointless.

I'm still of the opinion that the Lexus auto box is over complicated. 

Never noticed that, I will go and play with mine tomorrow..... cough cough 

Still quite get my head round this as to why only 60 secs, I have noticed that if I'm in sport auto and start to descend a gradient let's say travelling at about 60mph the box drops down 2 or 3 gears. Quite normal, but if quickly push the lever on box to manual it goes up to 7th and holds by itself for some time, with no hunting.

Anyone aware of or ever had any software upgrade for the box as a matter of course or as some sort of service campaign or recall.

Big Rat

Just drove back in this setup, held it for the entire 15 minutes journey. Maybe a little bit more responsive if you we've overtaking but only slight. Will experiment with this.....

Only the Japanese could design a gearbox which has a dedicated thread on 'How the **** does this thing work?' :)

Tomorrow I'll start a thread on 'How to use the satnav'. Once that's sorted, a thread on 'How to get the voice activation to work'

I must admit that the newer Lexus cars I have driven don't seem to suffer from quite so many 'Japanesey' 'features'.

• Like 1

Maybe the length of time depends on the year of the car?

Mine holds the lower gear for about 60 seconds (maybe 2mins - I'll time it next time I'm out), then reverts to Drive. It definitely doesn't stay in the reduced range forever. It also resets the reduced range to Drive once the car comes to a complete stop. Mine's a 2008. 

Similar system as in the Mercedes, useful for certain situations but quite limited. Better option was to press down paddle and hold, system would drop as many gears required for max acceleration. Not tried this yet in the RC but imagine the 'box would need to be in S mode.

TBH I find leaving it in D and letting the auto box sort itself works more the adequately 99% of the time...

Pre-select transmissions are nothing new, they have been used on rear engined buses for 40 odd years.

For those members concerned with the safe operation of this newly discovered electronic wizardry there is off road training help available. :biggrin:

IMG_0515.PNG

I find it useful for commuting when you want to be in auto mode for most of the journey but hold it in a low gear for crawling speed sections. Manual mode is too jerky at slow speed but full auto selects too high a gear for manuvering safely I.e. overtaking numptys who don't realise that V8s take priority 😉

• Like 2

umm, wanna overtake and pre select the right gear? Flick the left hand paddle. Why would you want to press a tiny little button by your knee?

or flick the big gear lever over and go manual....

mine is fine in traffic. I suspect that in comparison to a rolls Royce its rubbish, but compared to a manual Elise its as smooth as silk.

9 hours ago, Rusty Crobar said:

I find it useful for commuting when you want to be in auto mode for most of the journey but hold it in a low gear for crawling speed sections. Manual mode is too jerky at slow speed but full auto selects too high a gear for manuvering safely I.e. overtaking numptys who don't realise that V8s take priority 😉

I think that is the best explanation yet :)

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links