Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

4 Year Mot

madasahatter

As above the government are thinking of changing to 4 years. It sounds good until you see most failures, are for tyres wipers and bulbs. Now if that is at 3 years what will

them vehicles be like at 4 years. Mot testers are stating most failures are on french cars. Do people think its a good idea, i personally do not. A few years back there was

talk of a 2 year mot another bad idea in my book. I work in a bus depot, and the number of mechanics cars that fail the mot is shocking to say the least.

Admitted on small things tyres and the like. But i have never had a car fail on any of those items, I am over cautious if any thing, i spend the day before going around

like a maniac checking every thing.

Would this be for all vehicles if it is introduced or only apply to vehicles registered after its introduction? If it is the later scenario it may be because a lot of new cars on the roads today haven't been bought but are being leased / rented. How many times have we heard, seen, or read a car advert that when talking about the financial side concludes with the phrase 'you will not own the vehicle' or something similar. These contracts are usually mileage limited too and require the car to be serviced on time and be looked after or financial penalties will be imposed if it is not, so I wonder if that is part of the thinking behind this as the dealerships will be able to spot any problems.

I don't like the idea for the reasons stated above: tyres, lights and wipers. 

Personally if they go to 4 years my view is they should increase the number of police random checks on roadworthness or introduce a yearly MOT-lite test for cars up to 4 years old. It could be £20 and just cover lights, tyres, wipers and brakes with suspension, body and emissions waiting to 4 years.

On 1/22/2017 at 11:05 AM, madasahatter said:

As above the government are thinking of changing to 4 years. It sounds good until you see most failures, are for tyres wipers and bulbs. Now if that is at 3 years what will

them vehicles be like at 4 years. Mot testers are stating most failures are on french cars. Do people think its a good idea, i personally do not. A few years back there was

talk of a 2 year mot another bad idea in my book. I work in a bus depot, and the number of mechanics cars that fail the mot is shocking to say the least.

Admitted on small things tyres and the like. But i have never had a car fail on any of those items, I am over cautious if any thing, i spend the day before going around

like a maniac checking every thing.

I don't think things like tyres can be classed as "minor" things to fail on.......they are your only contact with the road and govern steering, braking, handling.

I doubt that the " most failures are on French cars " would apply to the tyres, wipers,lights.

Why do you spend the day before checking everything like a maniac? You should be checking your car continually really. 

My cars do not fail for the above reason. What i am saying is that before my car goes for mot , it will not fail on any of the above.

When my car went for recall lexus bradford were well impressed by the condition of my car . Its immaculate inside outside and under the engine. 

20 hours ago, colin79666 said:

I don't like the idea for the reasons stated above: tyres, lights and wipers. 

Personally if they go to 4 years my view is they should increase the number of police random checks on roadworthness or introduce a yearly MOT-lite test for cars up to 4 years old. It could be £20 and just cover lights, tyres, wipers and brakes with suspension, body and emissions waiting to 4 years.

I disagree. 

I personally think cars should be failed for tyres, lights and wipers. Most cars between 3-4 years old dont have lights, wiper or tyre issues.

Its the older cars where this is more of a problem but there has to be a cut off somewhere and I think about 3 years is right. 

The funding for police is already quite low and random checks would waste a lot of time. Instead, I think there should be a system which they use for number plates whereby if they stop you and you have a light out, they hand you a letter to get it fixed within the next 7 days otherwise they fine £60.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links