Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

is220d - spluttering & stalling

fastest_lex

Hi guys,

This is my first post in a long while, and apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere as i couldn't find an answer myself.

I'm in a bit of a conundrum..my normally bullet proof 2006 is220d SE has recently started to cough and splutter before stalling when at idle. This does not happen all of the time, oand when it does its usually after a couple of mins of the car being in idle if i am letting it "warm up" , or if i come to a stop after driving (parking up).

once this happens it struggles to start up again but after a few attempts it usually fires back up.

another thing i noticed the other day was that the revs jump from idle to around 1500 rpm a few times before it stalls. my most recent episode was when i was waiting at the lights and as i set off the revs started to jump causing the car to sort of bounce along. i tried to accelerate and found there was no power just the revs jumping erratically, fortunately it didn't stall and drove normal after a minute or so of going crazy.

i service the car every 10k miles without fail, and last service was done approx 8k miles ago. the car has done 210k miles - but trust me when i say this, it does not feel anywhere near that mileage as it has been properly maintained, to the point where sometimes you cannot tell it is a diesel vehicle let alone a high mileage one. its just this little niggle now is causing me alot of stress...lol

no error codes or lights..any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Shaun,

The EGR cover was opened at the last service (8k miles ago), and it wasn't clogged up as per some images i have seen of serious clogging, (i had it cleaned at the service previous to last) so i advised my guy not to touch it and we would review at the next service.

i have a can of BK244 in the shed which i am contemplating putting in the fuel tank to see if this cleans out any gunk...

i have just spoken to a master tech from Lexus Bolton who has told me it could be fuel filter related and maybe even the fuel lines. he advised replacing the fuel filter and cleaning the lines out. (filter was replaced at last service)

wonder if the bk244 will clean out the lines....

Give the bk244 a go first. You never know.

Could possibly be the maf sensor  but it's best to get it looked at by a professional.

Hope you get it sorted soon bud and keep us updated with any news.

Wow, 210k miles!  That is quite an achievement.

I had something similar happen to mine recently, although not as bad.  When sitting at the lights, and the car only started less than a minute before, the car would occasionally 'blip'.  The revs would drop and it would almost stall before catching itself and returning to normal.  Mine never actually stalled though.

Strangely, it seems to have fixed itself for now and hasn't done it in a while.

If yours is fuel filter related, then I doubt BG244 would work.  It is quite possible it is the cause though since, with that many miles, there is probably some crud built up in the fuel system.

About a year ago, mine was suffering from a stuttering and loss of power as the car came on boost.  This turned out to be a dirty fuel filter, which looked like it had never been changed.  Pig of a job though!  It took my mechanic 8 hours to change it!

• Like 1

• 6 years later...