Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Timing belt replacement

Mattyw1984

Hi all first post on here.

I finally managed to get my hands on a is200 se this time last year, best thing I ever did best car I have owned. 

Anyway just had her in for MOT (sailed through no advisories first time that's ever happened as well), oil service and timing belt change. Here's where my problem starts, my mechanic rang me today with a dilemma he can't get the crank bolt off he has tried breaker bars impact wrenches ect he also has the engine lock tool but he can't get it shifted. He is now saying the only thing left to try is using a impact wrench normally reserved for use on HGV's the worry there is he could strip the threads on the bolt or worse snap the crank. He is a very experienced mechanic (over 40years) so I trust what he says.

So my first question is has anyone else had this issue? Or was the last person to replace to do the timing belt an idiot?

Secondly if it comes to it and I have to replace the crank would I be better off just getting the whole bottom end rebuilt?

Any advise would be a massive help

There is always more than one way to do things, does he really need to get the crank pulley off, I've done plenty of belts where it stays put....

He could try the, cut the old belt radially in half, slip the new one on the half removed, then cut the other half off and slide it over...

Ask him to think outside the box a bit, that's what you have to do when things don't go right...:thumbsup:

Hi Matthew and welcome to the LOC. We are a friendly bunch so please don’t hold back asking questions big or small should you have any problems with your car. We always welcome ideas on how to overcome problems with our cars but as they are the finest cars in the universe they don’t go wrong that often.

We always love to see pictures of your cars inside and out so don't be shy.

Happy Lexus Motoring.

Mike. Bluesman.