Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RC-F at the Daytona International Speedway this weekend

gdh300

It seems a bit quite here in the motorsport section, which perhaps is an unsurprising reflection on Lexus's relatively low profile on that front; or may be it is more indicative of the 'typical' Lexus driver? (Discuss).

Anyway, thought I would post a interesting development taking place this weekend. I'm a big GT/sportscars racing fan so am very glad that the 2017 racing season gets underway this weekend at Daytona for the famous 24 hour race. And as Lexus driver (used to seeing them compete only in Japanese Super GT, or in the VLN24) I was intrigued to see that the GT3 spec RC-F finally joining the IMSA series after what reads like a protracted and difficult development. Hopefully this will be a springboard for other teams to consider the Lexus in the excellent Blancpain series, British GT and who knows even at LeMans in GTE guise. 

You can catch the race live-stream on the IMSA website, and read about the team running the two RC-Fs here. Good luck lads!

• Like 1

Glyn

Dont know you fella but well done for posting this toplc, I was a great fan of BTC in the nineties, and now that I'm a Lexus convert  with an interest in the GT Sports car racing albeit only on the fringes of of a full understanding of the rules and so on.

Got the the sky box on record for all this and the follow up rounds on the planner.

Watched some of the RCF prep work practice and so on including the stuff at the ring.

It just appears so quick in the turns and corners really flat as well and the noise 😳

Best of luck to them I say, can only be good for the marque if they have some success.

Big Rat

I loved the old BTCC in the nineties as well, Paul. But I got a bit tired of the bumper car antics that seem to develop later on. Really got into sportscars about a decade ago; just love the variety and size of the grid, the fact cars have multiple drivers, the strategy and ups-and-downs of longer races plus the 'Balance Of Performance' that stops any one car dominating. All this and the cars are ones you can relate too as well. Watch out next weekend for the Bathurst 12 hours, which is another fantastic race. I shall be mostly supporting the GT-R in that one!

It's good to see Lexus dipping it's toes in the GT3 arena. Early days, but getting both home would be a great start as on pace they will struggle against very well-developed and well-backed machines like the Audi and the AMG. With encouragement for a full programme, there's no reason why the car can't be quick; I mean whoever thought that the Bentley Continental would be a such a potent GT3 car? But M-Sport made it just that (and the B-of-P helps of course). I still though can't fathom why Jaguar for example aren't pushing the F-Type in GT racing. 

I meant to post this link for anyone not getting the race through cable or satellite: imsatv and this one, Weathertech

Edited by gdh300
Forgot another link!

You are right about the Brit Touring it did get that way, never forget when the big bloke forget the drivers name was going to 'do' Plato on one occasion. The excitement and variety are clearly up there, was watching the Aussie V8 last night it was a tad wet to say the least !

Good to see the RC-F pace cars.

The more established teams are always going to be a challenge I'd be looking carefully at the German entrants software..... cough cough.

My Lexus connection has been but twelve months, done loads of research on the them prior to coming over from the Germans, I'm not regretting it one bit anyway  with the racing everyone loves an under dog + there is one Brit driver.

Im loving the Japanese application of principles as regards quality and engineering and the driving experience.

Dont get the jag thing either lack of confidence in the product -money - who knows.

i will take a look at those links.

Big Rat

Well done 3GT Racing, still one car running at the end, despite everything! Pruett's accident was unfortunate, but isn't that just the trials-and-tribulations of 24 hours racing? There were some quite appalling conditions at times. But lap times looked good throughout, just need to tame that rear end of both cars it seems. :wink3: 581 laps on car 14 was good mileage, but a bit vexing that Honda completed 634 with their equally débutante NSX...

Onwards and upwards Lexus! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gdh300 said:

Well done 3GT Racing, still one car running at the end, despite everything! Pruett's accident was unfortunate, but isn't that just the trials-and-tribulations of 24 hours racing? There were some quite appalling conditions at times. But lap times looked good throughout, just need to tame that rear end of both cars it seems. :wink3: 581 laps on car 14 was good mileage, but a bit vexing that Honda completed 634 with their equally débutante NSX...

Onwards and upwards Lexus! 

Not had a chance to watch it all as yet but looking forward to it 👍

Big Rat

Sadly Paul, a lot of the race was under full course yellows because of the weather but worth catching what you can.

I just read a bit about the difficult time the 14 car had, including this incident in the night that effectively ended any chance of a decent finish. But a finish is a finish; better luck hopefully next at the Sebring 12 hours, the third weekend in March.

I will still watch it like you say it's a complicated sport so many factors come in to play that can help and hinder, with the weather being the obvious one, did you see the rain in Aus at the V8 I mentioned. 

No doubt the team have gained a lot of tech information.

Dont suppose you are local to the Portsmouth area are you that's were all my family hailed from originally.

Big Rat

I haven't seen that. I don't see much of it apart from what some enterprising people put on the internet, not having Sky or anything. I was going to buy a season pass for the UK streaming last season until I remember all the races would be on at some ungodly hour of the morning! But they do go to some great old school circuits. And boy, it can rain in Australia, can't it? 

Something you might be interested in - Nismo have done sterling service in past seasons streaming Blancpain races etc, but they were hinting at the tailend of last season they might be streaming the Japanese Super GT races this year. We have to wait until April for that to start, and iirc Lexus will be running the new LC500 in GT500 category and the RC-F in GT300 category. 

No, not in Pompey, I'm in north Hampshire, for my sins!  

Ah yes got lots of family in Australia  they escaped Portsmouth in the 80's to Sydney/Perth none left down there now.

Ive been in the last 12 months I personally think it's vastly improved.

Yes sky does have its uses but there is obviously a cost.

i shall be keeping a weather eye for more of the Japanese stuff,am looking forward to all the new car releases - nothat I will be spending that kind of dollar 💵 

Big Rat

Funny, from what I've heard locally, Pompey is dying on its a*se but it's interesting by contrast you think it's better now than it was. I often visit places I knew as a kid 'up north' and I find it incredibly depressing how run down some look, and yet other places seem to be booming more than they ever were. Places seem to be increasingly polarised, the UK over. Anyway, you are lucky to be in Somerset; I love Exmoor, it's about the closest 'wild' I can get to. A lovely 2.5hr jaunt down the A303 and I am there. Do you recognise the location in the attached picture? On a day off work just over two years ago and enjoyed a day on the roads of Somerset, Devon and Wiltshire. One of my regular quarterly 'road trip' days in the old Lexus.

Meanwhile, I will do my best to keep the Lexus Motorsport section up to date, even  if it only for the two of us!

WP_20151204_09_38_37_Pro.jpg

Edited by gdh300
Typing!
  • Like 1

Yep recognise it lovely spot if you go again couple of great pubs in Exford & Porlock don't know if this pano shot will come out or not we were at the top of Porlock Hill. You are right things have changed greatly, we love to holiday in this country, the long weekend stuff had some great times Yorkshire,Lincolnshire,Norfolk, Scotland.When down in Pompey last did the old Marines Barracks Museum and the docks, Southsea is a not a bad area.

Hay if it's just you and that's fine they will be coming over in their droves when the gt3 cars start winning.

Have a look at the Dancing 'F' video I've posted on the IS-F forum the exhaust noise alone is worth the watch!

No the upload has failed as its pano to much data, shame fantastic shot on a very bright day.

Paul