Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hybrid models Battery life

Hi guys,

How fast do the batteries deteriorate in the Hybrid models ? Would you expect them to last the life of the car or do you need to budget to replace them after an certain mileage or age ?

Thanks.

The Hybrid batteries last a long time, and why typically Toyota/Lexus give them a 100,000 mile 8 year guarantee.

This guarantee can further be extended If you have the car serviced by T/L after the original expires. Included in the service price is a hybrid system check after which the guarantee is extended by 10,000 miles or 1 year. This can be done as many times as you wish till the cars 10th birthday. In theory you could have a 10 year old car with 200,000 miles, and still be under guarantee. 

The batteries are made up of a number of smaller units called modules, and generally when the Battery fails it is only one of these that fail. They can be replaced for a lot less money than buying a new Battery. There are companies that will do this work for you or if your that way inclined you can DIY.

John

• Like 1

Occasionally I check the USA Lexus Owners website and they do a lot of miles (understandable). A lot of them have done over 150k to 200k miles with no problems with the batteries.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, slowprop said:

Hi guys,

How fast do the batteries deteriorate in the Hybrid models ? Would you expect them to last the life of the car or do you need to budget to replace them after an certain mileage or age ?

Thanks.

Worth searching for these things on the forum. This topic has been extensively discussed.

However,  to answer your question, the general consensus is that they last long enough to not bother about. It's highly unlikely to have a Battery failure. There's a greater chance of someone getting hit by a car (no really, it's true) 

• Like 1

Nice to know. I hadn't been considering a hybrid but I am coming around to the idea. I like the idea of good performance with decent economy and lower road tax but was concerned about a potential bill for a few grand. 

Sorry if it's an often discussed subject. I mustn't have done a very good job searching for previous threads. Thanks very much for your advice.

• Like 1

While I was looking at the http://www.hybridbatterysolutions.co.uk/prices-and-services/?utm_source=LexusOwnersClubUK&utm_medium=ForumLinks site I noticed a link to their installing/using a hybrid Battery extender system to enhance/extend the life of the Battery packs. Has anyone any experience of having these installed and any comments please.Amongst the comments from the website is that improved the MPG significantly

I thought I would copy the details below;

Battery Life Extenders

UK Price ——————————————— £550 fitted!!*

Vehicle fitment guide.*

Lexus GS 450h – all models

Lexus CT 200h – all models

Toyota Prius      – all models

Honda Civic       – all models

* I can adapt my Life Extender to suit other makes & models please e-mail me to discuss your requirements at :-enquiries@hybridbatterysolutions.co.uk

What does a Life Extender do?

My Life Extender does exactly that, extends useful life of your Battery pack beyond the normal life that was originally intended by the manufacturer – often by years.

Using normal domestic mains electricity It cleverly & carefully conditions your hybrid Battery pack.

Will it fully restore my pack ?

The Life Extender is not as good as renewing all the individual cells in the whole Battery pack (Battery packs contain between 120 and 240 individual very expensive cells) however, in the majority of cases a significant improvement in capacity and fuel economy together with warning light cancellation is noticeable after use.

How often will I need to use it?

How often depends how deteriorated your pack is. (Usually once every 1 or 2 months)

How long does it take?

Between 12 & 24 hours depending on model.

What will it cost me to run

The cost in electricity (dependant on your suppliers’ tariff) is very small typically between 50p & £2

Is it dangerous & will it harm my Battery pack?

No! – I thoroughly test all units as I build them & again before installation. Proper use can only benefit your Battery pack.

Is it easy to use?

It really couldn’t be easier, just open the boot – plug in the two leads that I have  installed into the control box, plug the control box into the mains & wait.