Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Right decision ???

We are awaiting the delivery of a new 2017 nx 300h premier in sonic white  on the 1st of march. After reading all the reviews and watching all the YouTube videos and I mean all of them , I'm starting to wonder if we have made the right decision. We did test drive it albeit not a extensive test drive and it did seem ok , but obviously not as powerful or as smooth as our  Discovery 4 hse which we are trading in for it . We fancied a change as the discovery is rather large, thirsty and expensive to tax/run and we didn't really fancy the German offerings. I know it's a bit late now but just looking for a bit of reassurance. The main concern is the reported poor ride . The fuel economy is not overly important as we don't do much motorway driving mainly just town / A roads ( although I do wonder how Lexus get away with their obviously unobtainable mpg figures) . We did notice the ride was a little firm but most are coming from Air suspension in the disco. As I say bit late now as deposit paid and order placed. But it does look good...

I know it's a completely different car but after I bought my Volvo I started reading reviews and looking at YouTube.  Had I looked first I may well have had second thoughts.  Thankfully I didn't and I couldn't be more pleased with it!  The same goes for most reviews, it's just someone elses opinion, and I've found they often don't agree with mine so enjoy it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevebrighton said:

We are awaiting the delivery of a new 2017 nx 300h premier in sonic white  on the 1st of march. After reading all the reviews and watching all the YouTube videos and I mean all of them , I'm starting to wonder if we have made the right decision. We did test drive it albeit not a extensive test drive and it did seem ok , but obviously not as powerful or as smooth as our  Discovery 4 hse which we are trading in for it . We fancied a change as the discovery is rather large, thirsty and expensive to tax/run and we didn't really fancy the German offerings. I know it's a bit late now but just looking for a bit of reassurance. The main concern is the reported poor ride . The fuel economy is not overly important as we don't do much motorway driving mainly just town / A roads ( although I do wonder how Lexus get away with their obviously unobtainable mpg figures) . We did notice the ride was a little firm but most are coming from Air suspension in the disco. As I say bit late now as deposit paid and order placed. But it does look good...

Hi Steven,

Congrats on your purchase. 

Id take all reviews with a pinch of salt to be honest. There are plenty of reviews saying the NX rides rough and makes alot of noise when accelerating. IMO it is completely and utterly hogwash and the ride on the NX is better than the German equivalents. The noise is also only apparent if you're regularly doing 0-62mph runs. Now I believe you're probably not one of those people and hence it should be fine. 

I strongly recommend you watch @HRinacar's review. Its been posted on this forum by the man himself but does give a much more "honest" opinion compared to some of the drivel written by so called motor journalists

• Like 1

The ride in the NX is firm, but far from uncomfortable, and certainly not worse than what its German competitors offer.

The seats though, are supremely comfortable!

I test drove several SUV's and found the NX ride was much like other German alternatives, but firmer than the Freelander I drove. This was before the Discovery Sport was available. The Freelander had a lot of body roll on corners though which the NX does not have. I suppose it's all a balance, and getting that balance right is not easy. i do think Lexus have got it almost spot on, but everyone views it differently. If I was being really picky I would have liked an option to have some sort of damper control to switch to softer or firmer ride, like in BMW's Variable Damper Control (VDR). BMW's without VDR are very firm in my opinion. As for seats, without doubt the ones in the NX are far better than all the other SUV's I tried, only Volvo can match them. Lastly, I have never found the NX under powered. Only once in 18 months of driving when overtaking a slow lorry on a steep hill did the engine wine a bit, but it was not too bad and when I slipped it into Sport mode it was fine. For all normal driving the car is superb and quiet, unlike diesels. It is also a nice place to be, unlike some other interiors which have far too much cheap looking plastic etc. It is by far the best car I have ever owned. Ohh and it never let's you down, on the reliability front it is simply the best!

• Like 2

Before I purchased my NX, I had watched a lot of reviews on YouTube and read dozens of articles and reviews. Although I'd set my heart on getting a Lexus, I started my test drive with some trepidation that the ride would be unbearable, the gearbox awful and the fuel consumption dreadful. 

Thankfully I was able to have a two hour test drive to make my own mind up. The ride is firmish, but still a lot better than previous Golf Gti, Audi A5 and BMW 5 series I've owned before. Now I have an NX, I've found it supremely comfortable and the ride perfectly acceptable. 

The gearbox only makes a noise of in Eco or Normal drive mode and you plant your foot to the floor, but it's not something I'm bothered about at all. 

As for fuel consumption, I'm getting up to 36 around town and driving at 60 on the motorway for 60 miles, I got 43mpg. Going at 70 drops the consumption to 33.

Overall I'm delighted with my NX . I've concluded that reviews are helpful in looking for downsides, but only test driving and living with the car will you really work out whether it's for you. Personally I just think most journalists simply don't get what Lexus is about... It is  different to the usual fare out there, but for me it's stylish, comfortable, practical, plenty of gadgets, good value, reliable and superbly finished with great dealer service. That's what I was looking for and I've certainly feel I've got what I set out to achieve.

• Like 4