Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

ABS pump failure

Bonneville

Being new on here I suspect that this isn't the first time this problem has been posted.

I've got a 2000 GS300SE. The ABS pump failed completely yesterday. A new one from Lexus is over £3k so not an option. Has anyone encountered the same problem and how did you get around it without paying an extortionate amount of money for a new one. 

Thanks in advance.

Do a search for ABS reconditioning for VWs, they should be able to give you an idea if it's possible and the costs. From what I remember, VW want about £1800 for a new pump, but some places can refurbish them for less than have the VW price..

I have not had this problem on the gs, but did have the problem on a Mazda 6. I was able to remove just the pump motor . I then replaced the brushes and the bearings in the motor for very little money.

An alternative to this would be a replacement from a breaker.

John.

• Like 1

On 01/02/2017 at 3:30 PM, Bonneville said:

Being new on here I suspect that this isn't the first time this problem has been posted.

I've got a 2000 GS300SE. The ABS pump failed completely yesterday. A new one from Lexus is over £3k so not an option. Has anyone encountered the same problem and how did you get around it without paying an extortionate amount of money for a new one. 

Thanks in advance.

The ABS module failed on my wifes Honda Jazz back in 2015, basically i got a mechanic to remove the unit and sent it off to a company called ECU Testing for rebuild.

Costs were £244 inc shipping and the turn around time was about 5 days from when they have received your unit, also it comes with lifetime warranty too.

Once the refurbed unit is back the mechanic refitted and bleed the whole system and its been as good as new. 

Give them a call and see if they can help.

http://www.ecutesting.com/?gclid=CMCW8rXr-NECFe637QodOIgMoA

• Like 2

I'll second ECU testing, used them twice in the last year, once for a Audi Mechatronic unit and then for a Rav4 engine/gearbox ECU, both fixed quick with no drama for a few hundred quid...:thumbsup:

• 7 months later...

I used to break the odd gs300 a few years ago and abs pumps were a hot seller. As said, best to get the ecu tested on it and if its gone, maybe get a used pump with the ecu thats known to work (hard task but not impossible) as a cheaper option but the pump failure thing is fairly common. 

I'm guessing a simple pulling of a fuse for a while wouldn't somehow reset anything? I've never tried so I'm guessing not. Anyone else tried some sort of reset?

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi we had a 2014 e class and it went 4.5 K at Mercedes, car had 65k on clock and out of warranty, Merc didn't want to know. Interestingly we had kept my old company Honda Accord with 150k but full main dealer history. Same problem occurred about a year after the Merc, Honda replaced it free and only charged the Labour and consumables I think about £250 in total. I will never buy another German car again as we had a major injection issue on our VW Touareg and VW had the same approach and couldn't have cared less another 6 K job. Incidentally both the ABS untitled were Bosch and Honda told be it was relatively common for the 2006 cars to have this issue. My experience from VW and Merc has put me off their products and their aftercare is really poor.

• Like 1