Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX400 Reversing Light

Hi Guys

can anyone offer some words of wisdom on how to improve the illumination level when reversing. I often have to reverse down an unlit country lane and it is nearly impossible to see anything. 

Justin. 

• Like 1

It is pretty awful. There is a shield around the bulb that you can remove, instruction on this forum somewhere (I found them 8 years ago trying to solve the same issue), it improves it a bit but it's still not brilliant (literally or figuratively). I'll see if I can find the link. 

Yes removing the inner shield is easy it's held into the light cluster by a small screw but u need a better bulb check out amazon or eBay for LED equivalent that's what I've done for my rx300 sel u could also use the rear fogs. Failing that purchase a pair of what's called LED work lights and get them fitted

• Like 1

Removing the shield is quite easy.  Just open the light cluster and its not hard to work it out.  There are lots of posts on doing it on the forum.  LED bulbs are the only option for brighter lighting, the available tungsten bulbs that will fit make very little difference.  You will need CANBUS bulbs and quite a few are available form eBay giving about 7-8-- lumens.  I had to try a few different bulbs before I got good results from Star Canbus error free Ultra bright 7.5W LED (800 lumens) SMD 2835 from eBay.  These are not available now but there are several alternatives listed.  Check dimension to make sure they will fit as they tend to be a bit longer tan the original filament bulbs

This copied from a previous post about removing the shields

Further to me previous post on this topic, I think have now solved the problem on my 400h

As other forum members have suggested, you get a massive improvement in rear vision at night on the reversing system screen on the dashboard, if you remove the little shades that cover the bulbs.

To remove the clusters, Just follow the bulb replacement instructions in the manual and that will expose the light clusters.

The light clusters are held in by just 3 Phillips type screws. Undo those and that releases the cluster. Then there is just one small Phillips screw that holds the shade in place. undo the screw, remove the shade and then put it all back together (without the shades) and replace the cluster on the door.

This makes a massive difference and increases what you can see by a huge margin.

1 hour ago, Justin.s said:

Thanks guys. Can anyone post a direct link to the bulb as there seems to be a vast array out there and want to make sure I get the right ones. 

I did this very job a couple of weeks ago after scraping the rear quarter panel/bumper on the gatepost  :wallbash:

Here are the LEDs I got from Ebay

You should do a search on this forum, there are several threads dedicated to the RX reversing lights... in fact I seem to recall that one of them is longest thread ever recorded on the Lexus forum!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sorcerer said:

I did this very job a couple of weeks ago after scraping the rear quarter panel/bumper on the gatepost  :wallbash:

Just ordered these for my 2010 RX450, claim to be CANBUS, We'll see. I'll report back when I get them and fit them.

15 minutes ago, Silversalmon said:

Just ordered these for my 2010 RX450, claim to be CANBUS, We'll see. I'll report back when I get them and fit them.

They are indeed CANBUS, no strobing, no "light out" warnings or anything like that - they just work as they should and they're a vast improvement over the original filament bulbs.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 2/7/2017 at 8:00 AM, sorcerer said:

Thread from the dead!

These are still listed on eBay. 12 months down the line how are they? And does your 450 have the shield? If so did you remove it?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

Thread from the dead!

These are still listed on eBay. 12 months down the line how are they? And does your 450 have the shield? If so did you remove it?

We traded the car in in February but yes, they were still as bright and good as the day I installed them, highly recommended. The 450h doesn't have the shields and I think they are LED anyway.

• Thanks 1

Just ordered a pair so will see what they are like. I know the camera system is OK as the wife's Yaris is brilliant in the dark, the reverse lights are more powerful and not shielded. I once saw a post from a Lexus guy who said they were meant to be a reverse warning light and not to shine your pathway.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/1/2018 at 12:41 PM, rich1068 said:

Thread from the dead!

Bought some months ago.

Ought to get around to fitting them!

• Haha 1

I did buy some LEDs. Possibly these ones. I'll have mentioned it somewhere :rolleyes: I have trouble remembering what I had for breakfast.

Anyhoo, I didn't remove the shields because I couldn't be arsed I didn't have the appropriate tools at the time. Fitting is a little snug iirc but they work just fine.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links