Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Condensation mystery

Hi

2006 rx400h

Over the last couple of weeks or so I look out of the front window to see the car windscreen and front side windows completely covered in condensation. Such a strong white coverage I thought car was frozen . I have felt around carpets and up the corner of trim in footwells, checked sunroof and all windows are closed properly but to no avail.

Only change I have made is the fitting off full length felt dash cover cut to fit so that I could stop the dash glare issue that was so hard to live with for me.

No signs of moisture in boot,no spilt drinks etc.

A/C left on constant with fresh air.

If anyone has any ideas I would be most grateful

thanks

stuart

24 minutes ago, Vicmeldrew said:

Have you checked the floor wells in the boot below the rear lights? That's where I found water which was giving condensation on my windscreen. 

Will check that out many thanks for the pointer

stuart

1 hour ago, oldgreybeard said:

Hi

2006 rx400h

Over the last couple of weeks or so I look out of the front window to see the car windscreen and front side windows completely covered in condensation. Such a strong white coverage I thought car was frozen . I have felt around carpets and up the corner of trim in footwells, checked sunroof and all windows are closed properly but to no avail.

Only change I have made is the fitting off full length felt dash cover cut to fit so that I could stop the dash glare issue that was so hard to live with for me.

No signs of moisture in boot,no spilt drinks etc.

A/C left on constant with fresh air.

If anyone has any ideas I would be most grateful

thanks

stuart

Take the dash cover off, if this cures the issue, don't put it back on and buy some polarised sun glasses for the glare/reflection.

I second Vicmeldrew and would definitely check below those black plastic storage bins below the rear tail lights.

On the the nearside behind the outside plastic body moulding there is a vent with thin rubber valves to release pressure when the doors are closed. My vent unit was not seated properly and rain water poured in.

Also the tail light unit beds on a thick sponge gasket around the hole in the body through which the wires pass and that had not been replaced at some time in the past.

The above relates to my 2006 RX350SE

No relevant experience to quote, however previous posts on this issue often point owners to blocked scuttles below the windscreen, under the bonnet, and the consequent waterlogging of the pollen filter.   Probably worth a look at both if only to dismiss the possibility early on.   Hope this helps. 

I don't know about your car but on later Ls's they have double glazing and often those windows delaminate and i guess that might cause some issues such as condensation maybe !

Malc

While working abroad recently, my wife reported unusual condensation in our RX (including ice on the inside of the windscreen). I put it down to the weather, combined with the fact that she had done a succession of short journeys with car full of teenagers, however she found that one of the rear windows was open just a fraction. Not enough to be noticeable, but enough to let humidity in overnight. She closed the window and left the car running with the heating and aircon on full blast for about 10 minutes. This was enough to remove moisture from inside of the car and she has not had any problem since.

UPDATE

Sorry for the delay in responding to all the excellent replies but hospital took over the last week or so.

Only been able to check rear light clusters and no signs their so all the other ideas have been listed and my trusted local garage will go through the list for me as I will not be able to check myself for some time. So thank you for all the replies and advice

If and when fault found what are the chances of lexus covering it under extended warranty?

Will update further once the problem is found