Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus is220d head gasket symptoms?

elvis20002

Hello everyone,and i need help,before i pay huge money for repairs.

My car (is220d),around 90k starts spill over the engine bay a coolant,bud always been top up with fresh one,and really not been bothered to do enything else.

But,i find out,the my coolant top up starts go very often,and exsacly last week i had a go to Scotland from Brum.

Before i make my jorney,i did a prechecks on my car,and find out,Lexus radiator is broken.(you can see on pictures).

And i think i solve the problem,buy new radiator(£170),and replace.(tuk me 6 hours :whistling:).

After that i get all air out,and with happy and smiley face been driving back to home.But i stil was been loosing coolant :wallbash:,and did't undarstand,where is a problem???And all my coolant boiling and foaming(see last picture).And,if you driving over 85/90 mp/h,engie temperature going up!:blink:And every second day,i have to top up the coolant fluid.

This is a "head gasket"?,"water pump"?Thermostat?Please help me.

P.S-sorry,if some words or sentence is wrong,i'm Russian.

EOOHitGOL0I.jpg

iQUml4JEnec.jpg

XUMc25tsrxk.jpg

JuNbvxKfC5M.jpg

Hello Elvis.

Sorry to hear you are having problems.

It does certainly sound like it is burning the coolant, but that usually includes getting smoke out of the back. Does yours smoke?

The best way to check would be to get a sniff test done.

Something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-block-tester-kit-for-petrol-and-diesel-engines-original-leak-tester-/181059430832

Fingers crossed the problem is elsewhere.

Hello Elvis and welcome to the LOC, your english is much better than my Russian. :biggrin:

With the coolant loss there is a good chance that engine damage has happened due to overheating.

Either get the sniff test done as suggested or have the cylinder compressions measured but given your symptoms I would strongly suspect Head Gasket failure.

Sorry to say my friend but it's showing the same symptoms as mine when the head gasket failed.

Luckily for me I have a mechanic mate who fitted me a new gasket for £450 but your looking at around £600-£700 at an indy garage and a couple of grand if you go to lexus.

Don't meen to sound harsh but geting rid of the diesel for the 250 is the best thing I've ever done.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, peachy said:

£850 at a lexus dealership is very good. I'm quite surprised actually as people have said on the forum lexus charge up to 2 grand.

You not wrong,Lexus Coventry charge 2235

• 1 year later...

I'm having white smoke when driving .but on idle no smoke at all . Car drives like it should 38 mpg don't miss a beat . Cleaned egr that's fine . Loosing coolant tho no leaks  sometimes in traffic jam get plumes of white smoke then stops until I accelerate.  Head gasket replaced are 56000 now done 96000 any help would be grateful.  

Hi Daz,

Sorry, I am a little confused - did you say you are loosing coolant?  If so, how much?

Assuming there are no obvious leaks, then the most obvious suggestion would be a blown head gasket, although that sounds unlikely consider it has been replaced once before.

If you aren't in fact losing coolant than it would appear to be your DPF regenerating.  Do you do mostly town driving?  If that is the case then it might be struggling to perform the regen.

• 8 months later...

Hi everyone,

07 is220d, have had these symptoms for the last 2 years. No probs driving around town but motorway driving causes overheating, no cabin heat etc especially in 6th, drop down to 5th and that helps. Honestly gave up on coolant and just add water . 

@Jordan2019 is you top hose building pressure ? Driving to Dublin last weekend and cabin heating was ok pretty much to and from Cork. Overheated maybe 4 times lasting about a minute tops when going uphill or overtaking at 120kph.I had to turn Air con and full heat for gauge to drop. Gurgling noise on expansion tank, Coolant spill and Fans blaring when i stop.

Changed :

Water Pump, Thermostat, Radiator Cap, New Belt yesterday but still gauge goes up especially when under heavy load (harsh acceleration )

Any ideas what could be the cause ?

No oil in coolant, No water in oil, no white smoke and no loss of power 😞

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links