Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

First lexus looking for isf

Hi im new to the forum and currently looking for my first lexus a isf. Is there anything to look for when buying one apart from good service history? Are they prone to gearbox, engine or suspension issues? Cheers P  

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

I like your choice of Lexus model....start at the top and stay there. :biggrin:

I have only driven an ISF once so really cannot advise on what to look out for but  FLSH is a good start and you can now check the MOT history of any potential purchases.Not heard anything negative about them but look out for accident damaged repaired ones as there seems to be a few around.

If you don't get any responses here I will move your post into the ISF forum where you certainly will.

Good luck in your search and feel free to post up links for any likely buys.

16 minutes ago, Dieselpete said:

Hi im new to the forum and currently looking for my first lexus a isf. Is there anything to look for when buying one apart from good service history? Are they prone to gearbox, engine or suspension issues? Cheers P  

Good choice @Dieselpete I've owned my ISF for 12 months and it does everything very well........motorway cruiser, potters about town at low speed gracefully and...... Then......the power/sound of the V8 :yes:. Worth checking that the water pump has been changed as these can leak. Other than that, regular services etc, etc. I must say there is a great choice at the moment, so a good time to buy!

• Like 2

Peter

Good luck with the search you may have to be prepared to travel for the right car there aren't that many about, haveing said that recently there were 12-14 for sale country wide, as regards issues very few.

Oh by the way Silver ones are the quickest........cough cough.

Big Rat

I have purchased mine recently and couldn't be more pleased with it.  Honestly does everything very well.  As said above, your spoilt for choice at the moment so don't jump into anything.  I've been getting around 250 miles out of £70 of fuel and my daughter and wife fit in fine.  Engine is super strong, particularly once you get going and gearbox is genuinely impressive, particularly in manual mode.

Dont get silver though...or red!!

• Like 1

As others have said look for regular service history and see if the water pump has been changed. 

The black 58 plate for sale on AT with 41k on the clock and an aftermarket exhaust is a bargain for the money :wink3:

• Like 1

Thanks for the warm welcome! Il be honest its a tie between a vxr8 and the isf. Im a mechanic on mobile cranes so im not affraid of pulling anything to pieces but prefer not to. Iv looked and priced servicing costs on most v8 saloons and the isf and vxr8 are very good value compared to the rs4, m3 ect. Dont get me wrong these cars aint going to be cheap to run but some seem to cost alot more than others. I think the only thing that lets the isf down is not having 3 seats in the back. Im in no rush to buy but my wifes getting a little annoyed with her 1.2 polo! 

• Like 1

You wont regret buying one, as others have said service history etc is important, from 2010 they introduced a LSD and the ride was slightly improved apparently also updated sat nav to full post code.

Try and avoid the silver models as they attract some very strange owners, they will be along shortly I would imagine:whistling1:

• Like 1

There's nothing strange about me well maybe the odd the little thing aversion to colour is one I suppose but look what happened to me at the club last night having been forced to lift glasses of Guinness while watching the Rugby, see I'm quite normal 🤡

Big Rat

IMG_1305.JPG

In terms of reliability, running costs and dealer reputation it comes out above all the rivals you mentioned. 

I looked at C63, M3, RS4, XF-R & VXR8 before deciding on the IS-F, it ticks all the boxes that the others do and you don't hear many horror stories about them going wrong and costing thousands. 

Can fit 4 adults in comfortably, boot is a decent size, capable of averaging mid 20's mpg (I've had 32mpg on a run before), excellent build quality, and can get 2 years manufacturer's warranty for less than £900. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Big Rat said:

Oh by the way Silver ones are the quickest........cough cough.

That is true indeed, we have some evidence of that here: 

On water pumps - that is not only IS-F issue, but good advice... you don't want 5l V8 to start overheating. I can hardly think of anything wrong with IS-F, they seems to be even more reliable than lesser IS250...

5 hours ago, Big Rat said:

There's nothing strange about me well maybe the odd the little thing aversion to colour is one I suppose but look what happened to me at the club last night having been forced to lift glasses of Guinness while watching the Rugby, see I'm quite normal 🤡

Big Rat

IMG_1305.JPG

@Big Rat the peas - petit pois?

Despite being reliable, which is one of the main reasons I got my BLACK 2010 ISF in the middle of last year the consumables can be relatively easy to work on. My experience with brakes so far was that for a very limited run of cars, they were much easier to work on for even amateur spanner-jockeys than my previous Audi S4. Just don't be fooled into paying main dealer prices for parts. I was quoted £1k for front discs and brakes and after spending £280 in parts I was clearly well up.

Can't fault the main dealer costs for services though. For a significantly uprated car, the service costs were miles better than going main dealer for Audi / BMW / Merc.

And finally, Welcome!!

• Like 1

On 11/02/2017 at 10:11 PM, GibletPH said:

As others have said look for regular service history and see if the water pump has been changed. 

The black 58 plate for sale on AT with 41k on the clock and an aftermarket exhaust is a bargain for the money :wink3:

Is it yours?

Its a real beauty.  I can't help but think the prices will stop dropping on these very soon. 

5 hours ago, lockeyboy said:

Is it yours?

Its a real beauty.  I can't help but think the prices will stop dropping on these very soon. 

Thanks. It sounds even nicer than it looks, that V8 rumble is sublime :cool:

I honestly don't see the prices dropping big time. They are a rare car to begin with and are significantly cheaper than the equivalent M3 or C63 to begin with.  

• Like 4

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links