Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The key to protecting your paintwork has to be in the preparation. Do you know how good the dealer is in applying any paint protection or is it done by one of their valeters? I had my car detailed by an expert detailer who told me a number of horror stories with even brand new cars where the paintwork wasn't prepared properly, not washed or clay barred and then their treatment was applied, sealing in the defects. I had my cherry black XK detailed by an expert, here are the pics

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=342301

He used gtechniq c1 and it has minimised most of the swirls my clumsy washing technique tends to promote. Money well spent with quality products. Supagard is not worth the money, unless it comes free, but it will only be as good as the person applying it. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Have had the gardx put on the interior and exterior of my car last week before collection,should have been £400 but they put it in with the deal,saying they had to get the sales up on the product to get their bonus, I assume they would have taken my money if I had chosen to purchase it !! 

I must admit I like to put polish on my car , do like the canuber wax ( not sure spelt correctly) and other quick detailing stuff,not really bothered about there life time warranty, is it ok to do this or could it cause a problem with the paintwork 

One can apply any of the wax types on top of the coatings. Just avoid any that have fillers or abrasives. 

I use Meguires X-spress spray wax on my ceramic coating, just gives that extra slick feeling to the surface.

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/08/2017 at 11:48 AM, NemesisUK said:

One can apply any of the wax types on top of the coatings. Just avoid any that have fillers or abrasives. 

I use Meguires X-spress spray wax on my ceramic coating, just gives that extra slick feeling to the surface.

Why do you want a slick feeling surface?

Grabby surfaces bead better.

And i thought i was giving it my best when i  handwash in the weekend which takes me 1.5 hrs....

I have just discovered the world of detailing and the effort, work and especially time it takes is jaw dropping. Over 50 hours for the most extensive package , just wow.

The results are incredible even for the 250 pound package and it seems worth all the money to me.

I might try to find a professional detailer in my area now....  

( stunning XK Keith and great to see you give her the attention she deserves!)

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

Not in my experience..

Having a slick surface ensures sheeting but beading is caused by contact angle. Grabby surfaces like Sonax BSD or PNS increase the angle to get tighter and tall beads

43 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Having a slick surface ensures sheeting but beading is caused by contact angle. Grabby surfaces like Sonax BSD or PNS increase the angle to get tighter and tall beads

Slick worked well enough on my Mercs

P4250171.JPG

IMG_20160308_102016 2_zpsclbulrct.jpg

• Like 1

On 19/08/2017 at 10:50 AM, Whites said:

Have had the gardx put on the interior and exterior of my car last week before collection,should have been £400 but they put it in with the deal,saying they had to get the sales up on the product to get their bonus, I assume they would have taken my money if I had chosen to purchase it !! 

I must admit I like to put polish on my car , do like the canuber wax ( not sure spelt correctly) and other quick detailing stuff,not really bothered about there life time warranty, is it ok to do this or could it cause a problem with the paintwork 

^^ The same happened to me. As a committed (OCD? Where? :whistling1:) detailer I've always steered clear of these 'Emperor's new clothes' type wonder treatments, but as it is included with my new NX I'll be interested to see how well it has been done.

Once I get the car and assess the condition of the new paintwork I'll decide on a regime from the products in my arsenal, but likely to be clayed using Bilt-Hamber, de-contaminated with CarPro TRIX, prepared with Dodo Lime Prime, perhaps some Megs Pro Mirror Glaze if I'm feeling fit and then topped off with CarPro ReLoad Sealant and then likely some Swissvax Best of Show on top, or possibly one of my Dodo soft waxes. Wheels will be cleaned with Bilt-Hamber Auto Wheel and then finished with Bouncers Looking Sweet. Exterior plastics I use Chemical Guys Natural Look trim dressing.

Once I've got good protection on there I can keep it going through the Winter with one of my quick retailers, probably Dodo Red Mist or Auto Perfection Clarity.

Wish me luck...my arms are going to need it after that lot.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Slick worked well enough on my Mercs

P4250171.JPG

IMG_20160308_102016 2_zpsclbulrct.jpg

Its OK but doesn't look very tight. This is Sonax BSD

10972848025_340458e007_c.jpg

and PNS:

15402036441_dfc9fb8aa5_b.jpg

Both with extremely grabby surfaces compared to a wax for example.

• Like 1

To be honest, if I could find a product that enhanced the gloss and shine but caused sheeting rather than beading I'd definitely give it a go. At least the car would dry quickly and wouldn't leave water marks when it finally does  dries.

The difference between a hydrophobic and hydrophilic surface.... After all beading isn't an end in itself, simply an indicator of a well waxed surface and therefore protected surface..

10 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

To be honest, if I could find a product that enhanced the gloss and shine but caused sheeting rather than beading I'd definitely give it a go. At least the car would dry quickly and wouldn't leave water marks when it finally does  dries.

The difference between a hydrophobic and hydrophilic surface.... After all beading isn't an end in itself, simply an indicator of a well waxed surface and therefore protected surface..

Carplan no1 supergloss tends to sheet rather than bead - might be up your street. 

• 3 weeks later...

This is what my Lexus was treated with before delivery.

http://www.autoprotect.co.uk/ceramic-coat

I've never believed the claims for these products but as this was thrown into the deal for free, and as it appears to have been applied very well, it will be interesting to see how it holds up. 

1 hour ago, First_Lexus said:

This is what my Lexus was treated with before delivery.

http://www.autoprotect.co.uk/ceramic-coat

I've never believed the claims for these products but as this was thrown into the deal for free, and as it appears to have been applied very well, it will be interesting to see how it holds up. 

The WILIAMS Ceramic Coating is supposed to be quite good. The synthetic one though is not as good. Which one was put on? Usually dealer will put a sticker somewhere. 

They dont tend to last as long though as dealers never put the prep in, just wash the car and slap it on

There is a sticker on the windscreen, and the invoice says it is the Ceramic Coat. I think that the dealer (Lexus Swindon) gets a local independent detail company to apply it rather than doing it themselves - there was certainly one doing a car when I turned up to collect mine. I may be wrong though...

My cars never get very dirty. I'm slightly obsessed...:ph34r:

I'll be interested to see how long this lasts and whether it is any goo i.e. whether I can tell something has been applied. I've always avoided paying for any of these treatments, preferring to do it myself. Included for free though, so why not?!

27 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

There is a sticker on the windscreen, and the invoice says it is the Ceramic Coat. I think that the dealer (Lexus Swindon) gets a local independent detail company to apply it rather than doing it themselves - there was certainly one doing a car when I turned up to collect mine. I may be wrong though...

My cars never get very dirty. I'm slightly obsessed...:ph34r:

I'll be interested to see how long this lasts and whether it is any goo i.e. whether I can tell something has been applied. I've always avoided paying for any of these treatments, preferring to do it myself. Included for free though, so why not?!

I had my RC coated, also from Lexus Swindon. On the occasions I've been back I have also spotted an independent detailer there treating cars.

I am very impressed with the coating, very, very easy to rinse off general road crud, especially over the winter months.

I am also somewhat OCD about keeping the car clean, much to the amusement of my neighbours ....

Now almost at my 1st anniversary, the coating still performs as below. Should it change, we have a lifetime warranty, so it would be retreated FOC. Win, win :yahoo:

• Like 2

Current IS was a showroom car which had been Gardexed to display. I,like you, was Very cynical & refused to pay for it !

However,my car which has always looked Mint, has been cared for using Meguires Products on a Gardex Base & I never allow Service Valetting.

The 2017 IS is offered with Wheel/Tyre/Scratch/Paint/Trim Protection & The Lexus Protection Pack to sweeten the deal if I agreed to go ahead in January.

Delivery was April & then my Dealer got allocated my car which was originally destined for a Showroom in the South.

A Dark Colour needs all the help it can get & I find my cars can attract unwanted Trabants even in deserted Parks.

I am content.

Tel

All above Systems look good but doubt they are better than my Gardex/Meguires Version given, like others, I always keep my cars clean.

The Big Issue we all face is Road Rash.

Tel 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links