Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone tracked their F?

Sounds great Russ don't have trackway specific advice to give I've done the Ring a number of times that's about it.

If I was going to offer any advice it would be cautious but have fun and remember the 'F' is a heavy car so it's tough on brakes and tyres. 👍

Big Rat

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Rusty Crobar said:

A few mates are going to cadwell park next month and invited me along. There are instructors there which I would definitely take advantage of but does anyone have any tips for a novice? 

Tyres, Brake Pads, Brake Fluid, Coolant, Oil/Oil Filter....  Check them all/Change them all beforehand.  Remember it's got to get you to the track, around the track and home again.

If you are doing continuous laps then get a brake fluid with a higher boiling point.

In terms of brake pads, I ran 11 laps of the Ring last year on EBC yellowstuffs with no issues and there is still life left in them now.  I also ran Conti Sport 6's all round and they too came back with loads of life.  (I wasn't hanging about either).

Oh, and have FUN!!!!  :-)

• Like 3

Drive it like your favourite back road, without the worry of traffic, speed limits etc. Don't race... remember - you've got to be able to drive it home!

Beware noise limits. If you're standard, you may be fine. Mine's got a H&S exhaust and at Goodwood it was measured at 103dB. If you blow over the noise restriction, they'll turn you away.

Have fun!

• Like 2

as counter intuitive as this sounds, and your instructor mates will no doubt verify, pump tyres to maximum permitted pressure. On track road pressure allows too much flex and you'll start getting wear on the sidewalls...

make sure you have lots of life in your brake pads. This is the one consumable a new track driver can burn through as you tend to over brake. Also its a heavy car and within that sort of time I was getting brake fade albeit on tired pads and discs. My lotus can go round forever and never get fade. It weights half as much!

don't be a hero. Drive ten fifteen mins max. Take a break. Lots of fluids.

take out insurance. Road policy won't cover it. Its not cheap but then neither is mending an F.

lastly, ENJOY YOURSELF

• Like 1

I use an old bmw 325i track car aka the green goddess. Did 205mls at the last one in anglsea avreging 9mpg. Bought her for £350 and just cant belive shes still going. Iv learned so much from this car. One of my best memories is teaching a good friend lift off oversteer and by the end of the day he was doing it at 70mph. Iv found as anglsea aint part of msv they are a little bit more lenient on kicking the rear out. Some track day companys have a word now if you have excessive tyre squeel. What ever that is!

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links